Four seasons in, has your opinion on the Big Bash changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
When this format was first announced, I didn't warm to it at all. Seemed like tacky and soulless guernsey supporting. But credit to CA for making this into a great product. It's at the right time of year, the size and duration of the tournament is just right and some of the games have been superb. I don't try and compare it to test cricket because as far as I'm concerned test cricket is an entirely separate entity that will always hold a place in my heart. However it is much better than the neither here nor there ODI format and I think that we will see ODI cricket die out in the next 15 years or so, simply because T20 brings people to the game that would have never been interested otherwise.

Only downside to T20 domestic tournaments for mine is that you may see situations like those in the West Indies, where players aren't motivated to play Test Cricket and instead become maverick T20 mercenaries. Though I hope that situation is countered going forward.

My other problem is that the secondary teams in Melb and Syd (Thunder and Renegades) do feel sightly irrelevant and those teams could have been better placed in Geelong and Canberra or Central Coast but think we are at the point now where any move wouldn't benefit the game in Melbourne or Sydney too much.

But overall, I think the Big Bash has been an absolute yarn this summer.

I'd hope that the CA continues to allow the Big Bash and the Test summer to co-exist peacefully as they currently do.

I certainly appreciate the T20 format a lot more after seeing it in this league context.

The whole marketing production just seems to be so disappointingly insecure about the fact that it's cricket though, everything from the team names to the jet pack guy makes it feel like I'm not the target demographic, which as a cricket fan is bemusing.

The whole marketing production just seems to be so disappointingly insecure about the fact that it's cricket though, everything from the team names to the jet pack guy makes it feel like I'm not the target demographic, which as a cricket fan is bemusing.

Well you're probably not the target demographic.

Mike McKenna, the guy in charge of the Big Bash, said this:

To reach kids we need cricket that doesn't look like the cricket they know.

Basically, they trust that you'll keep watching the game you already watch.

It's pretty good imo, thought the state based Big Bash was good but it has only gotten bigger since the change. I'll admit that i've enjoyed the BBL more then the test series, mainly through the dead pitches but I prefer domestic cricket over international cricket generally anyway. The whole sideshow to it with dancers, concerts and music is too prominent, I understand they want to keep it 'entertaining' but isn't that what the game itself is for?

I still prefer the IPL and bemoan the fact that the timing means we can't access the best international talent for extended periods, but overall I enjoy it very much. More so than when it started probably. That may be linked to Perth's success, though.

The international talent issue isn't something that much can be done about unfortunately. Makes it stranger that England haven't got their stuff together and made a decent competition because that wouldn't be a problem for them .

Have never been able to follow the IPL, probably because it doesn't have the domestic relevance and can't really obtain any sort of emotional attachment to any of the franchises.

The Scorchers have done a great job though, unique that they are a bowling oriented side. Would like to see more like them in T20 and dismiss the notion it is a batsman's game.

I'm sold.

Overall ch10 do a great job. Sure they have the odd slip up but the really do well to produce a quality broadcast every night. The microphones on players has been a great insight. Zinger bails and the replay camera angles been great and the expert commentary from people like k.p viv etc has been riveting.
They are still experimenting with gimmicks e.g celebrity catc is gone and gus the goose has been cooked but I'm sure they will find something soon

The atmosphere and entertainment at the ground is great.
Adelaide Oval has set the bench mark in this regard.

BBL05 bring it on! Happy for the expansion to begin bring in Canberra next year.

Still don't see the point of the chicks from the lap dance/strip clubs & gay guys dancing on the sidelines or the muppets on tramampolines and s**t.
Is the cricket not entertaining enough ?
I don't mind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been a countless amount of enjoyable games and even some great ones.

Although you probably missed them being too busy just complaining about the format ;)

No such thing as a "great" T20 match.

My complaint wasn't about the format, it was about the standard of cricket. Last night, I turn on the TV. First ball. The very first ball of the match, the batsman gets a half volley outside off and proceeds to loft it in the air straight to cover. If that's good cricket, then I'll be stuffed. I watched batsmen who had no idea how to play spinners getting a bit of turn.

I've seen 3 games, and the batting is just disgraceful. Are the players fined if they hit the ball along the ground or try to pick a gap in the field? They must be, because none of them try it.

You probably missed all the bad cricket while you were watching fireworks explode and perving on Mel.

Only started watching it last season. As I've said in other threads, I am completely fine with T20s at the domestic level, and I think the BBL works perfectly well. There are big names, it's well advertised etc etc; less completely one-sided games is probably the only concern. It's fun, that's all it'll ever be to me and that's fine.

I'm watching it right now, so I obviously like it.

I like the imports, the fact it's in prime time (well, not over here it's not), and the fact that players move between teams so Perth vs Adelaide for example is not just WA vs SA.

I don't like the ropes being in, the LED bails, the dancing girls/music etc. and the fact CA pick test players from it.;)

I like the imports, the fact it's in prime time (well, not over here it's not), and the fact that players move between teams so Perth vs Adelaide for example is not just WA vs SA.

I don't like the ropes being in, the LED bails, the dancing girls/music etc. and the fact CA pick test players from it.;)
the ropes are brought in for OH&S reasons. what i don't get is, why there is still a large difference in the size on each side of the wicket

The international one dayers are the odd ones out in the summer now. The tests were awesome, the Big Bash has been a lot of fun.

We've just finished the tests. Imagine how good it would be if Warner, Haddin, Johnson, Smith and co were filtered back in for the second half of the Big Bash? Instead they (and others) are filtered out.

Can the one dayers be shifted to earlier/later in the summer? Perhaps in October/November or February?

Unfortunately, the cricket isn't.
Give it up Pops

Test Cricket has become more entertaining since the advent of T20 too and the purists know it.

No such thing as a "great" T20 match.

My complaint wasn't about the format, it was about the standard of cricket. Last night, I turn on the TV. First ball. The very first ball of the match, the batsman gets a half volley outside off and proceeds to loft it in the air straight to cover. If that's good cricket, then I'll be stuffed. I watched batsmen who had no idea how to play spinners getting a bit of turn.

I've seen 3 games, and the batting is just disgraceful. Are the players fined if they hit the ball along the ground or try to pick a gap in the field? They must be, because none of them try it.

You probably missed all the bad cricket while you were watching fireworks explode and perving on Mel.

Chin up.

My opinion hasn't changed, I loved it from the start. I think it has taken a while for CA to get the scheduling right, even at the expense of playing all the domestic 50-over stuff in a separate tournament and not spread over the season like they used to do. The timing is just right now - starting just before Christmas and finishing mid January.

Perth is pretty much WA + two imports.

Like apart from Muirhead this year and Cummins last year we haven't had anyone playing for another state

Remove this Banner Ad

Back