Francesco Totti - Melbourne Victory

Remove this Banner Ad

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My Brother is a sports journalist in Brisbane and is also a massive Melbourne Victory supporter. he does a bit of reporting on the A-league but the majority of his work is Rugby league.

he mentioned to me he was chatting with a player agent for a couple of the Brisbane Roar players. Apparently this agent is dropping all his clients as he is becoming the Australian based agent for Francesco Totti in Australia.

He was told that Totti has signed a one year deal with the Victory for season 2015-16. Obviously finishing up in Italy at seasons end.

Massive get for Victory who are once again flexing their muscle throughout the nation. Large Italian community in Melbourne will go wild

Totti's wages are going to be astronomical, if Berisha is the Australian marquee than Totti is going to blow their cap wide open. Even if they terminate Berisha's contract his wages still fall under the cap, meaning that bringing Totti in as the marquee is redundant because Victory would still be over from Berisha's contract.

My point is that its not practical, and unless the FFA pull a Villa-type arrangement its not going to happen.

Totti's wages are going to be astronomical, if Berisha is the Australian marquee than Totti is going to blow their cap wide open. Even if they terminate Berisha's contract his wages still fall under the cap, meaning that bringing Totti in as the marquee is redundant because Victory would still be over from Berisha's contract.

My point is that its not practical, and unless the FFA pull a Villa-type arrangement its not going to happen.

I have no idea

But it's totti...

Would make del peiro look like a bitch

Haha no chance, I'd love to see Totti play in the A League but it's not going to be for us, not while Berisha is still contracted.

The big names never work out as well as you think they would either, plus I couldn't see him sticking around for more than a year, it's not worth dropping the best striker in A League history for at all IMO.

Haha no chance, I'd love to see Totti play in the A League but it's not going to be for us, not while Berisha is still contracted.

The big names never work out as well as you think they would either, plus I couldn't see him sticking around for more than a year, it's not worth dropping the best striker in A League history for at all IMO.

'Dislike'

I remember City fans telling us how robbed we were to 'only' have Berisha while they got Villa, when the derby rolled around Villa was kept in a 19 y.o Galloway's back pocket and Berisha ended up with a hattrick. You have to take the A League proven commodity over the star name every time IMO because the star names never deliver like you think they will.

Havent heard anything about contracts or marquee players but at this stage. all i know is that he has an Australian based agent who is working through the deal and the Melbourne Victory are the team he has indicated he would like to play for.

as raised earlier with Berisha being the marquee at Victory is obviously raises a large barrier.

Haven't heard this one usually something this big would be hard to contain within the club. Can't see it happening unless we release Berisha which looks very unlikely.
It could be a guest stint but it can only be up to ten matches, in any case Victory have never been a club historically for big names and guess stints.

But maybe it could be the exception being Francesco F@cking Totti!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ange was pretty vocal about not being a fan of the guest stint or even loans if he could avoid them, I think this is something he would have passed on to Kev. A move like this just doesn't fit the club's identity, we dipped our toes into the big name marquee market with Kewell and it backfired spectacularly, I can't see us chasing another big time in the near future TBH.

I love to see players of this caliber in the league but I'm more than happy for the likes of City and Sydney to fight over them, I'd rather we use the marquee spots to keep proven A League stars in the team as that's how the titles are won.

How the hell could he sign for Victory with Berisha as marquee. Have you employed Jason Brewer? City is believable. Victory is complete bullshit.

I remember City fans telling us how robbed we were to 'only' have Berisha while they got Villa, when the derby rolled around Villa was kept in a 19 y.o Galloway's back pocket and Berisha ended up with a hattrick. You have to take the A League proven commodity over the star name every time IMO because the star names never deliver like you think they will.

Totti is a couple levels above villa, but, I reckon...

Because then you have...

Melbourne Victory. Melbourne City. Sydney FC.

***DAYLIGHT***

Western Sydney Wanderers. Brisbane Roar.

***DAYLIGHT***

Adelaide United. Perth Glory.

***DAYLIGHT***

Central Coast. Wellington. Newcastle.

Can swap the last 5 around but you get what I mean. the big boys will dominate and the league will be beyond uneven.

He won't be another Del Piero. Del Piero has a personality and Bob Hawke like charisma. Totti is widely known as the dumbest man in Italy.

How the hell could he sign for Victory with Berisha as marquee. Have you employed Jason Brewer? City is believable. Victory is complete bullshit.

I wouldn't want him at City, well passed it. Not worth the money he would cost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back