List Mgmt. Free agent: Geelong signs Sam Blease as a delisted free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone agrees, that we lack pace. We moved on a couple that may help here, but, their contacts were large in comparison to the new guys coming in.

I think Blease could fit in nicely. Has line breaking ability and knows how to kick a goal. He'd be very well priced for us in consideration of filling future needs regarding the contacts of Selwood, Hawkins and any big name recruit next year.

I'd take a punt on him with our pick in the 70s

with a bit of work could possibly become a rebounding half back in the mould of Wojo, either way the Cats have a role in mind, and i hope its on the wing, in open spaces.

ooh. Now there's a thought. If he can actually defend.
I actually don't love his left foot. You can tell he is not a natural.

Good technique though. He must have practiced it a lot because he looks ok under pressure.

after all these melbourne fans have been watching blease from day 1
In his second, third and fourth game he averaged 22 disposals.
Not a bad start.

Something has happened.
Mark Neeld?

howe many coached failed to get the best out of him?

see how i spelt how?
Just Neeld really. Add 1 year of Roos if you like.
But he only played 2 games under Roos.

Just looking at his stats etc.
One thing that sticks out is the amount of times he kicks the ball versus handball.

He kicks it a lot.
And I thought that may have been due to kicking over the mark at first.
But he doesn't mark it very often. Which suggests to me he would be a good link up player.

Just looking at his stats etc.
One thing that sticks out is the amount of times he kicks the ball versus handball.

He kicks it a lot.
And I thought that may have been due to kicking over the mark at first.
But he doesn't mark it very often. Which suggests to me he would be a good link up player.
The one that interests me is RD8 2012 v Sydney 18-3-11 for 29 disposals where did he play that day?by the way great media tarting in the other thread:)

The one that interests me is RD8 2012 v Sydney 18-3-11 for 29 disposals where did he play that day?by the way great media tarting in the other thread:)
I don't know. But from memory he had a lot more handballs than usual.
Probably the Swans pressure did that? *shrugs*

Blease is a crazy player and I hope he gets another run at it. He has ridiculous pace, can set up an attack just by playing on and running away from everyone. He has a great goal sense on the run and is exciting when he is playing on instinct.

On the downside he doesn't seem to have much of a 'football brain' and will do ridiculous things like fall over with the ball in space for no reason or drop the ball while he is running. Some of our fans called him NQR cos he is a pretty strange player. He has something about him though and is a victim of our 'development system' over the years so i think he would be worth a shot.

Blease is a crazy player and I hope he gets another run at it. He has ridiculous pace, can set up an attack just by playing on and running away from everyone. He has a great goal sense on the run and is exciting when he is playing on instinct.

On the downside he doesn't seem to have much of a 'football brain' and will do ridiculous things like fall over with the ball in space for no reason or drop the ball while he is running. Some of our fans called him NQR cos he is a pretty strange player. He has something about him though and is a victim of our 'development system' over the years so i think he would be worth a shot.
So since you guys drafted him how has he improved? Extreme pace he had as a junior. "Footy smarts" hasn't improved? Kicking? Endurance? 6 years at the dees what has changed that makes him worth a shot? Obviously he has been tried in different roles in 6 years. What makes u think we can fix him from when he was drafted generally interested mate?

I hope I don't use that term , along with poatoe etc ...its really a armchair expert type remark. Are any AFL player soft? Not really but some probably have a more normal range of understanding what causes pain and how much it hurts..yet its only rarely one gets highlighted. His foot skills look less than we usually like but are they worse than Byrnes or Wojo.. 1 and 1 , is there really much risk?

Already seen him kick on both sides of his body so surely that means he has Shagga covered… and I don't recall seeing Wojo on the non preferred too often….:D

GO Catters

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record... He didn't play well at Melbourne because he wasn't allowed to play his natural game, I think he will be at Geelong, and will flourish.
Happy to be wrong, even more happy to right, at pick 70 odd or whatever we will use... A draftee wouldn't do much at AFL level.

See how well Chip was playing this year at the D's up forward? Had a s**t year out of his best position. Players can't always play in their preferred roles all the time ( Smedts) and it shows ( Smedts) but you can see how much better they can be if given that chance. Blease may, and I say may show this.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So since you guys drafted him how has he improved? Extreme pace he had as a junior. "Footy smarts" hasn't improved? Kicking? Endurance? 6 years at the dees what has changed that makes him worth a shot? Obviously he has been tried in different roles in 6 years. What makes u think we can fix him from when he was drafted generally interested mate?

I'm not saying im convinced he will be a good pick up and your points are fair enough. He just does things sometimes most other players can't do and even if you gave him a rookie spot it may be worth the gamble. It would be a shame imo if his career ended now because he's an exciting player.

I think he did impove especially in 2012 he had a run of good games playing forward. Kicked 5 against Carlton one day playing half forward but since then he has stagnated/barely got selected. Roos' anti fun mega defense gameplan does not suit him and he really didnt get an opportunity, played once or twice this year.

Have been thinking more and more he is worth a pickup, if we get Newton still as well I think we will have replaced some pace/class that we just lost.

Besides. Blease, Clark and Stanley are cheap. We have to clear space to get Danger and also match for Hawk as an RFA which we're going to need about $2 mill in the cap at least.

Would rather have kept hunt and got rid of Cowan or Smedts, but it is what it is.

Yeah pity Newton is not a delisted free agent, otherwise we could sign both him and Blease pre draft instead of using picks 61 and 73.

To use a draft pick on Newton he would have to still be there at Pick 47..

See how well Chip was playing this year at the D's up forward? Had a s**t year out of his best position. Players can't always play in their preferred roles all the time ( Smedts) and it shows ( Smedts) but you can see how much better they can be if given that chance. Blease may, and I say may show this.

Go Catters

He went there initially because they had no fit KPF on there list and there defenders did a solid job without him.

Go Catters

Daz, I am curious as to what position you think is Smedts natural or 'preferred' position? I don't think he has shown much to be honest anywhere, but seems best suited to either a forward flank or wing.

Yeah pity Newton is not a delisted free agent, otherwise we could sign both him and Blease pre draft instead of using picks 61 and 73.

To use a draft pick on Newton he would have to still be there at Pick 47..

If we frontload the contract as north did with jacobs newton will get to 47 without much trouble.

Daz, I am curious as to what position you think is Smedts natural or 'preferred' position? I don't think he has shown much to be honest anywhere, but seems best suited to either a forward flank or wing.
I'll tell you what I think.
I think he needs to replace Duncan as the run down the (wing) boundary and receive type player.

Duncan can be used in the middle.
Other than that, I can't find a place for him yet.

I'll tell you what I think.
I think he needs to replace Duncan as the run down the (wing) boundary and receive type player.

Duncan can be used in the middle.
Other than that, I can't find a place for him yet.
On the trade table a week or so ago perhaps.

The guy has a lot of skills.
I'd hope we'd hold off on that call. And I'm not his biggest fan.
People did say the same thing about Brown.

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and cash in while you can.

I hope he has a big year next year, I really do, but I have serious doubts about him.

People did say the same thing about Brown.

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and cash in while you can.

I hope he has a big year next year, I really do, but I have serious doubts about him.
I have huge doubts.
But he is really good below his knees, he's an ok kick, and a pretty good handball.

I think he needs to be in a creative area.
Not defence, and not forward. Doesn't leave many options!

I have huge doubts.
But he is really good below his knees, he's an ok kick, and a pretty good handball.

I think he needs to be in a creative area.
Not defence, and not forward. Doesn't leave many options!
I'm not blind, I can see the talent but he just seems to be lacking the application (from afar) or perhaps urgency is a better word.

The Jared Brennan comparison is fairly apt I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back