Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2004
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Derby County FC
G'day fellas

Do u reckon we have a chance of winning the Freo game? I think that if we try and get off to a good start we might cause an upset. But with saying that Subi is a ground for fitness due to its size, so perhaps our fitness will let us down as it did against the Male Cheerleaders From The West. Whatever happens I think it will be a good game. Better win for the west supporters, never seen 'em win over here.(except once against freo)

I doubt we'll win.

We're a very average team and Freo appear to be a top 8 side at the moment.

Freo by 30-odd.

Boooooooo!

We aren't without a show. We usually play pretty good football in Perth, despite not coming back with the points as of late.

Also, Fremantle are suspect under pressure, and if we are being given that label, surely they are too.

I think we'll be in with a good chance. Just depends on which Fremantle turns up...either the one that beat West Coast or the one who plays crappy football. Hopefully it's the latter. I just hope they don't try and play that ugly 'rolling huddle' crud they served up when they played us down here last year.

Well I don't think we're without a chance, given Freo's up and down nature, but even we've been playing well we've struggled to win games over there, so I'm not confident. I think so long as we persevere with the younger players, their spirit and enthusiasm could go a long way. They're a better bet than some of our more experienced players right now.

Who should we play on Pav, everyone?

Scarlett?
Egan?

You could go with teh best defender on the best forward, but Geelong have always been reluctant to play him Scarlo up the ground. Generally prefer to have Scarlett close to goal to provide rebound.

sorry to say but geelong are no chance against freo... i won't be surprised if we stick with them for the first half, but in the second our disgraceful lack of fitness will see us get over run on the large subiaco ground.

Freo are quality, we are not. They don't lose at home, we don't win interstate. Should be that clear cut. But Freo are the most unpredictable side in the AFL, so we are a very slim chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Belly said:
Freo are quality, we are not. They don't lose at home, we don't win interstate. Should be that clear cut. But Freo are the most unpredictable side in the AFL, so we are a very slim chance.

Freo aren't genuine yet...

I'm confident...we usually play well at Subi too, although we haven't taken the points recently.

jess_555 said:
Anyone got the stats of wins and losses against Freo at Subi?

I can give you a few off memory, Jess...

2005: Didn't play there...
2004: Lost
2003: Lost
2002: Lost
2001: Won
2000: Won
1999: Loss
1998: Didn't play there...
1997: Win
1996: Didn't play there...
1995: Loss

This should be the first game this season where we are complete total underdogs and not expected to win at all...strangely enough for a team that had lost 7 of 8 heading into the Essendon game!
Maybe...with no expectation (ala Carlton yesterday) we can pull something out of the bag, although our inability to run out games is a concern.

Ahh blind faith, it's a b*tch!

Geelong's last two games of the 1997 season were interstate trips, firstly against Fremantle and then against Sydney. And we won both games! (v Freo by 32 points and v Syd by 10 points)

In '96 and '98 we played Freo once only and that was at KP.

patdman said:
This should be the first game this season where we are complete total underdogs and not expected to win at all...strangely enough for a team that had lost 7 of 8 heading into the Essendon game!
Maybe...with no expectation (ala Carlton yesterday) we can pull something out of the bag, although our inability to run out games is a concern.

Ahh blind faith, it's a b*tch!

Yep, these are the games where we'll come out and win, stupidly and against all rationality. Let's hope so!

geelong_boy said:
Geelong's last two games of the 1997 season were interstate trips, firstly against Fremantle and then against Sydney. And we won both games! (v Freo by 32 points and v Syd by 10 points)

In '96 and '98 we played Freo once only and that was at KP.

Round 21 in 1997...that's it!

Belly said:

I don't think Freo are quality, I think they're soft and very suspect against quality teams - which we aren't. You're absolutely correct however in saying we don't win interstate. Geelong winning outside of Victoria is like UFOs - I'll believe it when I see it.

We'll go goal for goal for a while, go to sleep for a quarter, concede 6 goals to 1, and eventually lose by 24 points. Thompson will say "we played some good footy, we're getting closer to winning interstate, blah blah blah". But the result will be 4 wins, 8 losses and season officially over. Seen it too many times to believe otherwise.

Partridge said:
I don't think Freo are quality, I think they're soft and very suspect against quality teams - which we aren't. You're absolutely correct however in saying we don't win interstate. Geelong winning outside of Victoria is like UFOs - I'll believe it when I see it.

We'll go goal for goal for a while, go to sleep for a quarter, concede 6 goals to 1, and eventually lose by 24 points. Thompson will say "we played some good footy, we're getting closer to winning interstate, blah blah blah". But the result will be 4 wins, 8 losses and season officially over. Seen it too many times to believe otherwise.

On the other hand Partridge, if we win both of the next two games we will do some damage in the games to come.

Partridge said:
Thompson will say "we played some good footy, we're getting closer to winning interstate, blah blah blah".

God I hate that!

Just admit that we suck, Bomber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back