Fremantle Vs Geelong R12

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn't bothered to look till now, but Freo are missing alot of players: Bell, Longmuir (may come back this week?), Grover, Polak, and Thornton among them. Three of those compose part of their already shaky looking defense, which will need some hole-plugging this week (Looks like McPharlin to CHB).

Gameplan

Connolly preaches an uncontested, heavy possesion-based gameplan. As we saw earlier in the year, he's also not adverse to throwing extra men down back, and I'd expect that will continue (such is their weakness down back being undermanned). Alot of the play for them begins from their abundance of runners and rebounders off the back flanks, who will subsequently need to be checked. Overall disposal-skills are crumby though (which is surprising, then, why Connolly continues to impliment the style of play he does).

Freo Defense

Shaky. Lack legitimate, quality talls, but make up for it somewhat with their ability to run out the ball (though the ensuing disposal is questionable in most cases). Deliveries inside fifty, as always, must be precise. Give the likes of Mooney and G.Ablett every chance to be one-out with their opponents - Johnson and Schammer - neither of whom are spectacular body-on-body, yet thrive in sending the ball back the other way (defensive pressure and mindset/ability to run the other way is crucial).

Midfield

Connolly doesn't take enough advantage of the open plains at Subi. We need to - likes of Woj and Byrnes on the wings, give Stokes ample time in the midfield.

Simplistic, but pressure, pressure, pressure is the key to unravelling their possession-based game.

If Blake stays in (as he should - no need to rush King back in), get him to use his superior agility and speed over Sandilands. Last time they met, Sandilands taught Blake a lesson or two in the art of tapwork, but Blake torched him around the grounds, providing a target across the flanks and generally putting his mobility to good use.

Freo Forward

With Pavlich playing deeper within the fifty, space is the key to his game. Connolly hasn't worked out how best to utilise Pav, and is yet to design a forward structure based around the man. If Freo don't congest their own forward line, we should.

Small forwards a cause for concern (more to do with our lack of small defenders than anything). Rooke to be used in the centre, which makes it even more crucial that Callan stays in and plays on either Farmer or Medhurst. McPharlin likely to be moved down back, which paves the way for the likes of Ryan Murphy or Longmuir (should he return) to hold the other key post.

Chris Connolly - "It is a big game for the club. It's a mini final in the sense the odds at this point in time is that Geelong and Fremantle won't be both in the finals together."

That makes me feel a bit more confident about the game :D

If we were anyone but Geelong we would win.

Partridge said:
Thompson will say "we played some good footy, we're getting closer to winning interstate, blah blah blah".

Geelong are also getting closer to winning at Skilled Stadium... but not quite there yet.

chapmanmagic35 said:
I can give you a few off memory, Jess...

2005: Didn't play there...
2004: Lost
2003: Lost
2002: Lost
2001: Won
2000: Won
1999: Loss
1998: Didn't play there...
1997: Win
1996: Didn't play there...
1995: Loss

Wow, thats a pretty good list, for Geelong interstate games ;)

Heres hoping 'evil' Freo turn up on Saturday arvo :) ;)

To win we'll need to play flowing, balls to the wall football. Take risks and attack. It could be one of those games where geelong wins where all logic dictates otherwise. Also Geelong had an 8 day break, and Freo a 6 Day break. Could work in our favour. I still don't like our chances but we match up well and have the skill to beat them as long as we play tough and dont go into our shell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magnum said:
To win we'll need to play flowing, balls to the wall football. Take risks and attack. It could be one of those games where geelong wins where all logic dictates otherwise. Also Geelong had an 8 day break, and Freo a 6 Day break. Could work in our favour. I still don't like our chances but we match up well and have the skill to beat them as long as we play tough and dont go into our shell.

What have i got to do with all this?? :D

And yes a 2 day extra break will get us across the line! You've heard it here first peoples!! :D

I don't know why, but I can sense a victory against Freo. Maybe it's just my incredibly biased support for the catters, but I can see us doing well. The Freo team seems quite undermaned in the tall/defence stocks. They are going in with one recognised ruckman (Sandilands) who is apparently under an injury cloud (knee). Thought keeping Blake in would've been good around the ground against the big frame of Sandilands. Make him work and run him into the ground, but not to be. Anyway, if Ottens can spend a bit of time up forward it will really strech the Freo defence. Hope we have the legs to run all day on the big oval though, that could be the deciding factor, the addition of Tenace is good for this.

Beano31 said:
I don't know why, but I can sense a victory against Freo. Maybe it's just my incredibly biased support for the catters, but I can see us doing well.

I'm scared now coz I also have a feeling, a very strange feeling that we might defy the odds and win today. AHHHHHHHH I hate this! Now my hopes are going up too much! I don't want to be let down again.

C'MON CATTERS!

I actually want us to win

I hate it when i care about stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back