Autopsy Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Freo beat Port by 8 - Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Big negative is Johnson looking really sore and unstable

More then likely facing Sydney next week without Mcpharlin and Johnson will be a HUGE ask considering they've got Franklin/Tippet/Goodes/Reid

We could be severely undersized

Still think we are a chance :)

yeh defence is looking shaky at best, and Sydney will be firing next week, i haven't got much faith unless we win a shootout?!?! :(

If he plays a good game, I'll acknowledge it. I'm not sure where you get the idea that he works inside, that's not his role. As for strong tackling, well hell, I'm stunned. He only averages 2.7 tackles a game over his whole career.
honestly if you haven't noticed Pearces strong tackling or straight out desire to add pressure to oopisition even late in 4th quarters, you must be missing it out of spite, guy puts in more every week than everyone cept Mayne maybe, never stops trying, adds pressure till the end, one of our most important players

basically he does the type of defensive acts Hill is trying to learn, using his speed to smother etc, but has it down a lot better, i think his fitness must be at ELITE level, guy fukin looks shredded without a shirt

Just read through this thread. To quote the great man himself 'boy oh boy wowee!' Sutcliffe would be my first pick to cover Pearce for what its worth. In addition, he (Pearce) is neither as good or as bad as you fellas are making out. He is ok.
If he wasn't pumped up for having elite disposal we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

The trouble with your bet is that you're not offering any value. So you don't post, big deal, it's not as if you're doing a lot of that now and what you do post doesn't interest me.

You're the one who chose this arbitrary method of assessment, if he doesn't pass the test you should just fall on your own sword.

Your comments are of little value. D. Pearce is leading the AFL is inside 50s plus is equal 4th with Hill on goals scored this year. His tackling is strong and yes sometimes his kicking is off. Having said that he is best 22.

Your comments are of little value. D. Pearce is leading the AFL is inside 50s plus is equal 4th with Hill on goals scored this year. His tackling is strong and yes sometimes his kicking is off. Having said that he is best 22.
Is it really worth posting something if you just haven't bothered reading the conversation up till now? I've addressed the whole inside 50 thing ad infinitum.

Positives:

The way the forward line is set up. It's very good now, the obvious reason is Walters who is an absolutely ridiculous talent. It's weird how you come to forget just how good a player is, and then a few pieces of play over a few weeks remind you that they really can be the difference. I have no idea how the opposition plan to stop him, because he creates chances out of nothing and only needs a few touches to do anything because he is so creative. In some way, Ballas having to work harder in his absence may have made the forward line stronger.

Taberner is the other difference, with Pav there and Sandilands and Clarke drifting forward at times the opposition defence look too worried to zone off, and when the ball hits the ground the smalls are there to pounce. And Taberner is doing the right thing by taking contested marks and kicking goals. He will keep Sydney's defenders occupied.

Negatives:

Johnson. It's probably nothing, but he looked creaky. At the moment I know exactly how he feels. Such an important player, I felt like Ross left him on because his guidance on where to set up from defence is as important as him guarding a man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big knock on D Pearce is his set shot kicks. Don't know if I've seen him kick a goal from a set shot all season, and whenever he lines up for one, I don't expect it to go in.

Haven't watched the replay yet, but watching live, I did notice one contest that led to a Port goal where Pearce should have gone in lower and harder than he did, instead he let the ball spill out behind him - lacked desperation.

He's there and about, but I do have my concerns that a big pressure final could result in him fumbling/dropping marks/missing targets. None the less, I think we have to persevere with him, because if he can fulfil his potential, he is undoubtedly an asset to the team. And if he can do it for 4 quarters, he could be the difference.

Sorry I've already had a go but I'm passionate...
+
Ken Hinkleys presser - the guy is so likeable. And such a gun coach. Calls a spade a shovel and does it so well. Massive props for the second best coach in the league.

Really, really love seeing Hinkers finally get the chance to be a senior coach. He has worked so hard for so long before he finally got to have a go at it. Maybe it is just because I'm becoming an old bloke, but I love it when the crusty veteran guys finally get to have a go and show the whippersnappers a thing or three.

Was obvious when they walked off the ground together that Rosscoe and Kenny get on well, not easy to win Ross' respect I wouldn't have thought. Ross' presser really showed how much Ross seems to have admired what Hinkley has been able to do in the last two years at Port. He really has turned that club around, and I think is proving to be a much better coach than Williams ever was.

Interesting to see if Sumich ever gets the chance to be a senior coach, I wonder if he would do as well as Kenny.

+ This
10371680_320056391510434_7888011306714981015_n.jpg

The best part of it all was not Zac's surprisingly effortless mark, but rather the sheer look of (almost terrified) bewilderment and shock on Son-Son's face as it unfolded above him. Wonder what Son-Son was thinking?

Something like "What the??? Zac up there?? Has the Earth's gravity field suddenly reversed polarity and weakened for special uber-dorky-humans?? Or does he have rocket-boots on?? Or is he really Kep in disguise??"

Then "What am I seeing?? No way can the mere laws of physics permit such freakishness!! Surely we have found a hole in the space-time continuum!! Or Cliiiiiiiiiiive has been reincarnated??? Or maybe he just had lots of baked beans and then lit his fart??"

Followed by "Dayyyuum, Zac just got higher than I have this whole season!! AND broski took it one handed!!"

Ending with "At least I still run faster than him. Oh and thanks for the great hospital handpass Zac..."

So watching the replay just now. Despite that one instance I highlighted earlier, there are numerous great tough efforts by D. Pearce. Laid a great shepherd to free up Hill which resulted in a goal, and laid some pretty bone crunching tackles.

He treats Hill like his son............................................................

he's coming from a good decade of similar treatment, they moved his cheeky arse down back to avoid being tagged out of games

I don't want to be that girl but can you call him something other than that animal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back