Freo V Carlton match review.

Remove this Banner Ad

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Game we should've won! How we crumbled in the middle half of the game I do not know or understand! Not good enough!

1. Yarran... "what have you done for me lately???" just not ready... I still havn't witnessed any of this sublime kicking... always drops just short of his target.
  2. Eddie Betts... when Luke Ball kicks further then you, then you have to worry!
  3. Hampson, looked lame at times during the game.
  4. Judd, sick or injured... not been right for a few weeks.
  5. Waite, Henderson kept going and going.. well done!
  6. Garlett... sign him up long long term.. will be the best of the amigos!
  7. Murphy.. welcome back!
  8. Gibbs... your kicking is shocking at the moment! And I know you were trying to tackle "carefully" but put a bit of oomph into it so the player knows he's been tackled.
  9. Armfield.. he's a gem!
  10. Bower missing so much of the season has been terrible.. you can see him sooo close to hitting that form but may be a little to late for us for the season.
  11. Ellard = Elevate!
  12. Grigg... if we lose him because of Ratten's lack of game time to him I'll scream.. he was great (except for that fluffed shot on goal!).
  13. Simpson is the 2010 B&F hands down.
  14. Robinson kept trying and can't hold his tired kicking late in the game against him.
  15. Joseph... not too bad.. but not too great.
  16. And our best friend in Russell... great season kid.. our best defender tonight!
We left the corridor open one too many times tonight... and what is with our kick-in-er constantly kicking out to the vicinity of Sandilands????

Davies really shouldn't have played in tonight's game. This is a very important game so we should put developing young kids aside and should have brought in the strongest team. Walker didn't have a good game last week, but he would have been more handy than the inexperienced Davies.

Davies really shouldn't have played in tonight's game. This is a very important game so we should put developing young kids aside and should have brought in the strongest team. Walker didn't have a good game last week, but he would have been more handy than the inexperienced Davies.

It should of been Thornton in for Davies and Walker in for Yarran.

Walkers ability to be swung around the ground would of been handy... and still can't understand why Thornton hasn't redeemed himself yet in the eyes of the MC considering he's done alright in the ants.

I cant say i'm happy with that, sorry. home final up for grabs, and we don't really roll up till the last??? Games are won over 4 quarters. Too many were missing tonight Hampson,Betts, Hendo.......others decided to work hard in the last, but not the first 3.

Not good enough, where was rhe final quarter hunger early on??? after 10mins into the first it disappeared. Hill ran amuck after carrots was injured and help set them up, why wasn't someone else throwing the clamps on him?? The umps hurt us early, but when you start being 2nd to the ball you'll always give away more then you recieve. We were also very careless in tackiling the ball carriers or at a stoppage.

Simmo:thumbsu:
Murph:thumbsu:
Scotland:thumbsu:
Warnock 28 vs Sandilands 40 hit outs...If only we had Jacobs helping him...Hammer 7:thumbsdown:

Anyway, i spose the Swans await us, or a trip back to subi.:(

Really, really disappointed overall, if we had come with the same intensity for the first 3qtrs as we did in the last

I think the injury to Carrots really showed how important he is to our team, he is a genuine stopper, and we missed him cos Hill got a free rein to do whatever he wanted, if Carrots is out next week that will really hurt

I was so disappointed wit our 2nd and 3rd qtrs, we just didn't play with any intensity at all, and couldnt get our hands on the ball, they just picked off our fwd thrusts way too easily and brought the ball out of defence way too easily

Murphy, Simpson and Gibbs were all awesome, and Judd lifted in the last qtr, we just can't put 4 qtrs together and it's really frustrating, because if we played 4qtr football we would have won by about 5 goals

Simpson: STAR!!! His last quarter was incredible. Directly opposed to Pavlich whom he took to the cleaners.

Robinson: Must be instructed never to kick the football unless absolutely necessary. Shocking dumb errors!! Arguably cost us 2 games in a row. Geelong game he sapped us of any momentum.

Ratten: Had to let Gibbs off the leash in last Q. Never did. The only time Gibbs got fwd of centre, Betts goaled.

Garlett: Will be the best crumbing forward in the comp in 2 yrs.

Bower: Dumb errors

Joseph: Good on Ballantyne.... but WTF was he thinking rushing the behind!! Took the margin to 7 points and the game was cooked. Just dumb.

Henderson: Shown up by a good player in Grover. Dumb 50m penalty.

Yarran: Very poor. Needs a massive rocket.

Gibbs: Very good.

Murphy: Ditto

Judd: Again good... still didn't have anyone giving McPhee a belting.

It was good game by why did Ratten not tag Hill? You shut him down and we do not get the ball inside 50.

May see you next week??

Joseph: Good on Ballantyne.... but WTF was he thinking rushing the behind!! Took the margin to 7 points and the game was cooked. Just dumb

I threw the remote in anger when he did that..........Thank **** it didn't break, the missus is still shitty over it.:eek::D

As much I like to think that we should have won the game, I have to admit that besides the last quarter, the boys really didn't take the game on.

Just one from the enemy here.

Firstly, I think OP has got it right except for Gibbs. From an oppositions point of view I thought he was amongst your best and key player in controlling and creating out of the backline. I was spitting chips that we couldn't seem to control him at all.

The other thing is, though you guys came out firing early in the 4th, I think it was a bit flatering to the actual state of the game. Your boys were excellent in open play as the game wore on and generally grabbed your chances converting shots and used your inside 50s better. But in general play over the whole game, I thought we were much stronger and if you had have won it it would have been a real steal. It was Freo's game to lose, Carlton had to be good enough to grab it and you nearly did, but control for the most part was with our guys I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't mean you abandon it. We could have put Armfield or Joseph or even seen what Davies had, as he showed, he was too important to not put a hard tag on.

Sorry still hanging around :eek:.

Have to agree here too, very surprised Joseph wasn't given a go on Hill - I kept expecting the move. Balla (Joseph's opponent I think) was lively fwd, but I felt he was starting to tire as the game went on and Hill was by far the more dangerous player.

i thought gibbs was great... a few saving marks and very clean coming out of defence.

betts was a real disappointment. misses at least one easy goal a week at the moment it seems. drops an easy chestmark, and otherwise practically unsighted. in danger of being overtaken by garlett as our teams' premier small forward, if he hasn't been already.

would consider asking setanta to do a forward tag/defensive role instead of robinson.

pavlich (and hill) looked like the difference... someone with that extra bit of class from what was our gritty but falling-short performance. at the start of the game it looked like waite could be that type of player for us but not to be.

Felt out intensity was really only there in the first 15 minutes. Even towards the end we were still mechanical and sloppy. Felt that over the night we had only a hand full of players who could say they were anywhere near their best.To my mind Freo got tight and dropped their standards at the end rather than us stepping up to any great degree. Ratts really has to find the key to getting his side to play with freedom as we choke ourselves so often.

i thought gibbs was great... a few saving marks and very clean coming out of defence.

betts was a real disappointment. misses at least one easy goal a week at the moment it seems. drops an easy chestmark, and otherwise practically unsighted. in danger of being overtaken by garlett as our teams' premier small forward, if he hasn't been already.

would consider asking setanta to do a forward tag/defensive role instead of robinson.

pavlich (and hill) looked like the difference... someone with that extra bit of class from what was our gritty but falling-short performance. at the start of the game it looked like waite could be that type of player for us but not to be.

Even Garlett to me looked off the pace. Our samll forwards just seem to have lost their confidence and/or passion. Defensive pressure is no where near where it should be.

Hampson: My worst fear was realised and we missed the bigger body of Jacobs to take on Sandilands. .. Hampson went backward 3wks last night and left too much for Warnock, who was dead on his feet by the end. ..

Robinson: Poor decision making but I think we need to stick with him, as he gives that much needed hardness

Davies: Still struggling to see the down side here. .. He isn't setting the game alight but I've barely seen him make an error. .. Can only benefit from staying in the side

Bower: Huge fan but he is really down on form. .. Setanta could be worth a bet, especially if Hampson goes out for Jacobs. .. Not sure I'd drop him tho

Jamison: Just had to mention that I think he is really starting to find his feet again, good work. ..

Hendo: Poor game tonight in the marking department, beaten by a good defensive effort. .. Hill was crucial in cutting across the front of him. .. I don't think he will allow himself two bad weeks in a row. .. Waite also suffered from a lack of support. ..

Betts: A bit of an enigma atm. .. He seems critical to the side even when he isn't kicking goals but that the problem he also isn't kicking goals. ..

Yarren: I didn't want him back in the side, he needs to work on his consistency and will be a good player if he does the hard yards. .. He showed tonight he is not ready to stand up. ..

Carrazzo: Missed his effort on Hill, I think Ratts struggled to work out who he could use instead as other taggers all had key opponents. ..

Joseph: Played a competitive and serviceable game until that brain explosion rushing the behind late. .. had to take the game on and risk the goal. ..

Grigg, Gibbs, Garlett, Warnock, Judd, Murphy, Simmo, Ellard, Scotland, Russ and Armfield: All played decent footy

RE: Robinson, needs to have a sit down with a coach and really be told to calm down, his disposal is fine when he isn't rushing.

I thought the vast majority of our players played good football, I intend to take a look at the game on AFL's match analyzer and come back with a detailed report on what went wrong.

I realise this post could equally be placed in the 'ruck debate is over' but I honestly believe the MC in its wisdom to ellicit a break out game for Hampson is costing the side.

Last week Jacobs had double the disposals, double the marks, 5 more tackles and 1 less tapout and less ground time than Warnock. Now I know Warnock was named as one of the best by many on this forum last week but why is it that Jacobs needs to make way for Hampson.

Other than 1 half decent mark, Hampson looked lost out there on the footy field. 7 tapouts for a game just doesnt cut the mustard. Unlike Warnock who jumped into Sandilands and pushed him away from the drop of the ball, Hampson was totally ineffective because he didnt use his leap.

I understand Hampson has potential but lets reward the player who has the form. Jacobs when having to play Sandilands on his own last time, though beaten, was far more effective than Hampson.

the selection committee lost this game for us.

100% agree. Jacobs should of stayed in. i just don't see what others see in Hammer. I think his grossly over rated and hasn't produced anything this year to say his ahead of Jacobs. 3 smalls is not working and stopped working weeks ago, should of stayed with the 2. I also thought Hadley was needed. Bower & Betts on the fringe.....

100% agree. Jacobs should of stayed in. i just don't see what others see in Hammer. I think his grossly over rated and hasn't produced anything this year to say his ahead of Jacobs. 3 smalls is not working and stopped working weeks ago, should of stayed with the 2. I also thought Hadley was needed. Bower & Betts on the fringe.....

If only the match committee could use 20-20 hindsight in this manner. .. There were very few detractors last week about bringing Yazz and in particular Hammer in. .. I must admit that I've been an advocate of Jacobs for a while and even I buckled and thought Hammer was going to be better for team balance this week (mind you with caveats). .. We and the MC got it wrong but lets move on and make up for it this week. ..

Note, I never agreed with dropping Hadley but then I couldn't be sure we missed him last night with Hammer tiring Warnock and letting Sandi dominate the tap outs too often. ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back