Fully ticketed game has one third of the ground empty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong vs Carlton was 'fully ticketed'. The fans have told the AFL what they thought of this.

Lines outside the ground asking people to pay almost 50% extra to get into the game to stand, of course after missing the first quarter waiting in line.

AFL members missing the first quarter because they still have to line up for a FREE ticket with barcode to get in. (Dunno what is wrong with the barcode on their membership card).

Ticket booth operators not doing anything because they were 'corporate only' - well nobody was going to that booth after the game started - waste of resources.

THE ANSWER:

By all means encourage pre-purchase for games the AFL thinks will go close to full.
Even a small extra charge to secure a good/reasonable seat on a "first come first serve" basis can be justified.
In these sorts of games, remind fans that it may fill up and you may get rejected if you don't reserve a seat.
But come game day, when you clearly have sold bugger all pre-game, let people in FFS, don't have them line up to pay ~%50 premiuim for the privilige of missing the first quarter!

FWIW I went back to watch the 1st q at the Nixon (pub) last night, then jumped the turnstiles at q time. Fix it Gill.

Was just about to start up a similar thread.

We tried scanning our 18 game H&A memberships to get in and told we have to 'upgrade' due to being a fully ticketed game. No prior communication about this. Join the long queue of similar disgruntled club members lining up to 'upgrade', meanwhile missing the first quarter. Get to the ticket box and told we need to pay another $8.50 to get in. To stand along the rails. Everyone absolutely going off, and an Etihad staffer tells us we have to take it up with the club??

We have been scanning in for GA standing to 85k+ games against Tigers, Pies and Bombers for the last 15 years. No issues.

Last night there were 36k in attendance.

It is complete amateur our at AFL HQ. Along with the joke that is the match time scheduling, umpiring, off field issues, fixtures, COLA, etc, the AFL has just about lost me.

"We have it worse than you so you shouldn't complain about anything ever!" - Interstate footy fans to Victorians.

It's true though.
You have cheap tickets. Easy access to watch your team play 15-16 matches a year at minimum. And all in world class stadiums, well served by public transport.

Was just about to start up a similar thread.

We tried scanning our 18 game H&A memberships to get in and told we have to 'upgrade' due to being a fully ticketed game. No prior communication about this. Join the long queue of similar disgruntled club members lining up to 'upgrade', meanwhile missing the first quarter. Get to the ticket box and told we need to pay another $8.50 to get in. To stand along the rails. Everyone absolutely going off, and an Etihad staffer tells us we have to take it up with the club??

Didn't realise there was such a membership, what's the cost like per game? Makes sense anyway....

Given 7 of those games aren't 'Home' Games, what happens with the money?

Is there set seats on a given ground at all btw?

It's true though.
You have cheap tickets. Easy access to watch your team play 15-16 matches a year at minimum. And all in world class stadiums, well served by public transport.
So what? Does that make the situation described in the OP better? Of course it doesn't. Does it change the fact that many of us don't like Etihad? No it doesn't.

Just because your states have failings doesn't mean we can't point out ours. Victoria is meant to be the "home of football". Situations like in the OP aren't good enough.

Usually go to every game I can, chose not to go to this one. $16.50 extra with a membership just to sit level 3 behind the goals is bullshit when this match up has always had general admission available in the past.

Didn't realise there was such a membership, what's the cost like per game? Makes sense anyway....

Given 7 of those games aren't 'Home' Games, what happens with the money?

Is there set seats on a given ground at all btw?

It's a pretty common option for the Vic clubs where many 'away' games are still in Melbourne. You get access to all Melbourne games involving your club (usually 18 unless you're selling games to Tassie) for around $350 ($17.50 a game). Seated memberships cost more.

The thing I value most is the convenience, walk up and scan in and not messing around printing tickets, lines, etc. get to the ground 5 mins before the bounce and you're fine. One extra beer at the pub.

If they start pre ticketing games at a premium on the initial membership outlay, for crowds as low as 36k, then what's the point of buying a membership?

Totally agree with this unfortunately the AFL's greed have left them with embarrassing situations such as these. Bring the prices back down and if a game is sold out aim to have the seats 90% full before the first bounce.

I am an AFL / club support member. Richmond v Bulldogs this year classed as an " A " grade game. Would cost me $16 to get a seat and i couldn't by a guest pass for kid . Half the bloody ground was empty.

This weeks Richmond V North is classed as an "A" grade game played at 7.30pm on a Sunday night. They also try to slug you $60 for a guest pass. Just a greedy corporation and I love nothing more than to see the crowd numbers getting smaller.

My all time favorite is being charged $7.50 for a seat ( even though I am a full member ) and an additional $7.50 to print the bloody ticket using my paper and my ink. LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep went to scan my AFL membership and told I need to go and get a ticket..... Does this membership now only allow me to see Melbourne clubs v interstate clubs?

So to sum it up, Victorians want to pay next to nothing to get in, but want their clubs to make heaps of money on match day.

OK, got it. Let me just type that up.

tumblr_m4h15ytu7h1r0ata2o1_500.jpg

Don't know why this was an A Reserved game when the corresponding fixture only drew 42k last year. No game should be fully ticketed IMO unless it is likely to sell out (such games tend to be limited to 2-3 a year at Etihad). Just another case of the AFL screwing over clubs and supporters at the expense of the almighty dollar, I guess.

Given the form both teams are in, 37,000-odd last night was nothing out of the ordinary. Simonds a better fit perhaps?

It's a pretty common option for the Vic clubs where many 'away' games are still in Melbourne. You get access to all Melbourne games involving your club (usually 18 unless you're selling games to Tassie) for around $350 ($17.50 a game). Seated memberships cost more.

The thing I value most is the convenience, walk up and scan in and not messing around printing tickets, lines, etc. get to the ground 5 mins before the bounce and you're fine. One extra beer at the pub.

If they start pre ticketing games at a premium on the initial membership outlay, for crowds as low as 36k, then what's the point of buying a membership?

I wonder about this myself. As a Melbourne supporter I don't have to worry about seating very much. I usually get my preferred spot every game. But if I have to start paying extra on top of a membership in the future, I'm out.

I am an AFL / club support member. Richmond v Bulldogs this year classed as an " A " grade game. Would cost me $16 to get a seat and i couldn't by a guest pass for kid . Half the bloody ground was empty.

This weeks Richmond V North is classed as an "A" grade game played at 7.30pm on a Sunday night. They also try to slug you $60 for a guest pass. Just a greedy corporation and I love nothing more than to see the crowd numbers getting smaller.

My all time favorite is being charged $7.50 for a seat ( even though I am a full member ) and an additional $7.50 to print the bloody ticket using my paper and my ink. LOL

Absoute disgrace and blatant capitalism.

I agree it is a disgrace. The Crows play Essendon at Etihad in a few weeks. I am a Victorian based Adelaide member meaning I have paid to see all Adelaide's Melbourne games. However as the Essendon game is fully ticketed, I have to pay another $30 to watch the game and I can't buy a guess pass. So most likely I will not go even though I have supposedly already paid. It we'll be the first Adelaide game in Melbourne that I have missed for years.

Way to go AFL!

I want my AFL membership, which I pay $450 for, to actually let me in to the 40 games per years that it supposidly does.

Club memberships not AFL memberships. I suspect the AFL want Vic supporters to have afl rather than club memberships to weaken club independence. The fans need to side with the clubs and send the afl a message.

I agree it is a disgrace. The Crows play Essendon at Etihad in a few weeks. I am a Victorian based Adelaide member meaning I have paid to see all Adelaide's Melbourne games. However as the Essendon game is fully ticketed, I have to pay another $30 to watch the game and I can't buy a guess pass. So most likely I will not go even though I have supposedly already paid. It we'll be the first Adelaide game in Melbourne that I have missed for years.

Way to go AFL!

That's some bullshit! Another $30?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back