Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it’s more what happens after the draft that affects these young players.
Who gets in their or their families ears. I’m also wondering with Schache if his mother was missing him as much as he was missing her and it can’t be easy for a young guy to hear how upset his surviving parent may be.
Hopefully we can sign luggage and witho up quickly in the preseason or else we have to endure the speculation. Here’s hoping Hodgey can get into within and his families ear.

Our issue is for whatever reason and i'm sure it's numerous, but whatever it is we can't keep kids that are drafted early on in the draft.

They're drafted early on for a reason and if they're from Victoria - there's ten clubs in their ear about returning "home", after their initial two year contract expires. That's especially if they've shown promise in their first year. Meanwhile you have their managers also exploring their options. All four northern clubs are vulnerable due to the larger percentage of interstate players on their lists, but the situation is worsened, if there is little success on-field

So now we move onto the players taken in 2016 draft and the attention will turn to McCluggage and maybe Witherden as the Victorian clubs comes circling in anticipation of contracts expiring.....

2016 draft (contract status) - (State of origin)
#3 McCluggage (expires 2018) - (Vic)
#17 Berry (extended to 2020) - (Vic)
#23 Witherden (expires 2018) - (Vic)
#24 Cox (extended to 2019) - (Vic)
#55 Jacob Allison (expires 2018) - (Qlder)
#71 Corey Lyons (expires 2018) - (Vic)

I doubt Victorian clubs will be chasing Lyons. Berry and Cox have extended. That leaves Witherden who was a second round DP but had a great year and McCluggage taken at #3 as targets. A big offer from a club in their home state might be hard for an out of contract McCluggage to resist. If he has a good first half of the year and remains unsigned, more pressure and hard-sell is put on.

Last edited:
Seems like it’s more what happens after the draft that affects these young players.
Who gets in their or their families ears. I’m also wondering with Schache if his mother was missing him as much as he was missing her and it can’t be easy for a young guy to hear how upset his surviving parent may be.
Hopefully we can sign luggage and witho up quickly in the preseason or else we have to endure the speculation. Here’s hoping Hodgey can get into within and his families ear.

That's 2 mums a wuss comments and lots of comments on how she should have supported him better by leaving all rest of the family and moving to Brisbane. Give the woman a break - she raised a son with significant trauma to be one of the best 18yo afl players in the country without his dad. Good on you mrs schache.

He is over 18 now, has had a whole club including specific welfare people (including i assume the physc that lions inside confirmed we have on staff) doing everything for him. Didn't he initially stay with greg swan? The ball was in his court, he blew it. Not your fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

038736884dc6b41796df9533b865383b.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be fair, his living situation was said to be an an issue. He didn't gel well with his first house by all reports, he moved - then I believe the second house didn't work out for him either. Had he stayed, they were looking to move him into his 4th house in 2 years pretty much.

No suggestion that he was a bad housey or disruptive, but (and I wrote this here in January) I heard second hand from a current player that he was a 'different sort of cat', 'hard to get a long with' and... 'doesn't get around the boys or fit in'.. this said player was one which had lived with him too and he didn't want to continue to share with him after a period of time.

Speculation around him not fitting into his house situations or not being happy with his living arrangements has been rumored throughout.

Thinking about the above post, and reading somewhere else that Josh just laid around in his room by himself and didn't join in, makes me think things are not going to change for him.....his parents still live away from melbourne, so Josh can't live with them, which means he'll have to probably share again..

..his issues will start all over again and I'm not sure the boys at the Bulldogs will be as sympathetic as our lot may have been.

Something else too, the media are going to be watching his every move.....that isn't going to help either.

Can't see Josh having a long AFL career unfortunately, I really can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back