Preview Lions v Dogs Marvel Stadium Thursday 30th March 6.20 pm Brisbane Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was but that comes from Charlie and Linc pretty much at their peak putting on pressure. They can't do that every week. Others will need to pick up the slack
should be bailey. really needs to pull his finger out in that regard

We won comfortably apart from the delay in game. Team should stay relatively unchanged with Coleman coming back in if he is fully fit.
For either Joyce or Fort.

i would be mortified if we dropped either of these 2 for matho

do not really get those out for gunston already - he did so many clever things against melbourne to help set up scoring oppurtunities and if he had flushed his set shots i doubt anyone would be criticising his performance
He is normally a gun shot for goal - he will be fine!

I think we need Fort to play. When he plays we seem to win more often then not. Surely there's stats to support that even though it's just my gut feel.

I think we need Fort to play. When he plays we seem to win more often then not. Surely there's stats to support that even though it's just my gut feel.
Darcy Fort has a 14-5 record with us, which means using my extraordinary powers of subtraction, our record without him since the start of 2022 must be 4-4.

I was pretty fine with us banning access to Daisy, as much as I enjoy her commentary - but hadn't thought about Hodge in that year or two. I'm sure luke darcy has been in the rooms of other teams before as part of commentary roles and he's been on the Dogs board for ages. Ditto for lethal too. So bit of a weird one.

There are heaps of people with duel roles, Josh Jenkins, Eddie Betts - I’d have to do a deeper dive, but it would be 10+ easily if you looked at each clubs footy dept.

I’m not up in arms about it, but it just feels a tad toxic and like a bit of anti ch7/anti cats grandstanding that wouldn’t be applied to someone like Hodge or Matthews.

She is just standing off to the side of an open space, with a mic, waiting to interview players too. Not as if she is granted access into the meeting room where tactics are discussed.

I think she will make a great coach, possibly could be our first female senior coach over the next 10-15 years - so ideally, she would slowly move out of the media I suppose, coin would be good though.

One thing the article did not mention was he only had 69% TOG the 5th lowest for the Lions.

Josh Dunkley (Brisbane)

Josh Dunkley got two votes in the Coaches Award on the weekend. But having a look at the impact that he had on the match he probably should have got either eight or the 10 In terms of what he did.”

“That was actually his eighth highest rated game across his whole career on the weekend. 26 disposals, 15 contested, nine clearances and the other aspect that I love 81 pressure points. So to put that into perspective that will be a top 10-20 pressure game across the whole season by any player this year.

“We talk about the Dogs and what they’ve lost, they’ve lost everything that Josh Dunkley did on Friday night.”

My broad sweeping perception is that I am constantly bemused by clubs that resort to clandestine tactics, vague answers at press conferences and sneaky late team changes.

There is great power in having an opposition know exactly what you're gonna do, and going out and doing it anyway. Which, by Grand Final day everybody knows already, so quite frankly why not get used to that as early as you can?

Leigh Matthews once said words to the effect of "we want to be able to have our game plan slid under the door of our opponents, and still be able to execute it properly".

Having said that, after Daisy's carry on at the end of the AFLW Grand Final late last year, she can go and get f'd 😂

There are heaps of people with duel roles, Josh Jenkins, Eddie Betts - I’d have to do a deeper dive, but it would be 10+ easily if you looked at each clubs footy dept.

I’m not up in arms about it, but it just feels a tad toxic and like a bit of anti ch7/anti cats grandstanding that wouldn’t be applied to someone like Hodge or Matthews.

She is just standing off to the side of an open space, with a mic, waiting to interview players too. Not as if she is granted access into the meeting room where tactics are discussed.

I think she will make a great coach, possibly could be our first female senior coach over the next 10-15 years - so ideally, she would slowly move out of the media I suppose, coin would be good though.

Needs to make up for the lack of coin as an aflw player.

Re Gunston ... I am going to assume that he will get his kicking boots back but what I did notice was how many times he did something which threw the opposition player off balance leaving space for him or a team mate to do something. The guy definitely has a well honed and experienced footy brain.

Watching Petty drop himself from the faked kick was a delight :)

The number under column rounds 1 & 2 are %.
TOT = Total number of CBA's attended.

Seeing the chart is only for 2 games you can work out that Daniel attended 13 CBA's in round 2 as 0% round 1.
Another reason i want Treloar to miss this week.
Their midfield is not that strong without Treloar playing. It appears depth an issue for them.
The Dogs are missing Dunkley big time at this early stage.
I think Macrae went forward just because they needed to try and see if something different would work.
But Bevo has done some strange position changes over the years
View attachment 1641791

I wonder if it's an attempt to get more speed around the clearances (where they've looked slow). Bont, Libba and Macrae are good players but they're all relatively one paced and generally run one way, and with Treloar going out of the side, maybe he thought Daniel might bring some pace around the contest. Unfortunately none of those players that attended their centre bounces are known for the defensive aspects of the game.

They had assumed they could cover the loss of midfielders like Hunter and Dunkley by just shifting players in from the flanks, but that hasn't worked thus far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if it's an attempt to get more speed around the clearances (where they've looked slow). Bont, Libba and Macrae are good players but they're all relatively one paced and generally run one way, and with Treloar going out of the side, maybe he thought Daniel might bring some pace around the contest. Unfortunately none of those players that attended their centre bounces are known for the defensive aspects of the game.

They had assumed they could cover the loss of midfielders like Hunter and Dunkley by just shifting players in from the flanks, but that hasn't worked thus far.
Hopefully their midfield issues continue for 1 week at least.

"We're not deliberately targeting Daisy," Fagan said.

"But it's no different, I would have thought, if one of my assistant coaches worked in the media and wanted to go in the rooms of another club, they wouldn't necessarily feel that comfortable with that because you do see things and you do hear things.

Luke Hodge, who also works with Seven, was on Brisbane's books in a part-time mentoring capacity while he juggled a media role, but Fagan said that was different as the Hawthorn champion had no game day role and was rarely around the club.

"We're not deliberately targeting Daisy," Fagan said.

"But it's no different, I would have thought, if one of my assistant coaches worked in the media and wanted to go in the rooms of another club, they wouldn't necessarily feel that comfortable with that because you do see things and you do hear things.

Luke Hodge, who also works with Seven, was on Brisbane's books in a part-time mentoring capacity while he juggled a media role, but Fagan said that was different as the Hawthorn champion had no game day role and was rarely around the club.

So Hodge is now just doing media? No longer doing stuff with the Lions?

I went to a few training sessions throughout the preseason and I didn’t t see him there at all.
A shame - may well have ended up being a soft cap issue for us. Interesting to see Fages up in the box this year and the various personnel around him. Danny Daly still has a "right hand man" game day role despite being the GM of Footy...I wonder how many GMs at other clubs double up like that? The TV commentators also made reference to someone in the box (the "General") who was mentoring Fages - does anyone know what that is about?

A shame - may well have ended up being a soft cap issue for us. Interesting to see Fages up in the box this year and the various personnel around him. Danny Daly still has a "right hand man" game day role despite being the GM of Footy...I wonder how many GMs at other clubs double up like that? The TV commentators also made reference to someone in the box (the "General") who was mentoring Fages - does anyone know what that is about?
Phil Smythe - former basketball player and Coach.
Been doing a bit of work with Fages for the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back