Preview Round 23 - Collingwood v Brisbane Lions. Marvel Stadium Friday 18 August 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday 18th August 7.50pm

Marvel Stadium, Wurundjeri

Last Time They Met

Round 4.

Brisbane Lions 18.8.116 def Collingwood 11.17.83

Brisbane Goals: Cameron 6, Rayner 4, Hipwood 2, Daniher 2, Zorko, Wilmot, Prior, Berry

Collingwood Goals: Mihocek 3, Hill 2, N. Daicos 2, Johnson, DeGoey, Crisp and Adams

Brisbane Best: Rayner, Neale, Cameron, Daniher, Dunkley, Ashcroft

Collingwood Best: N. Daicos, Quaynor, Mihocek, Maynard, Pendlebury

cd6432514ab9a6296a0dd1314f2ced52.jpg

"I PREDICT RYAN LESTER WILL GET A ONE YEAR DEAL FOR 2024"

As a young Fitzroy supporter in the 1970’s and 1980’s, there was nothing sweeter than beating Collingwood, especially if you beat them at Victoria Park. Collingwood were the team you either loved or hated. Black and white, binary and brutal. They also managed to become the ultimate ‘hard luck’ story when it came to winning Premierships. For all the soft fixtures and mollycoddling by the VFL / AFL, those of us that hate Collingwood draw comfort from the fact that they have only won TWO Premierships in the last 60+ years. Collingwood made the Grand Final on sixteen occasions during those years, and only saluted twice. They are the club of false dawns and May Premierships, but they were also a club that had a tradition of playing a brutal, hard, fast and uncompromising brand of football. Collingwood could pull you apart, break your heart, get out of jail or all three in Finals. Collingwood were never to be taken lightly. During the late 70’s and early 80’s Collingwood were Fitzroy’s bête noire when it came to Finals. We had more than our share of memorable wins during those years, but Collingwood was always lurking in September, and they put us out of the Finals in 1979, 1981 and 1984.

This is why winning ‘back to back’ Premierships over Collingwood in 2002 and 2003 was such a definitive act. It was an emphatic FULL STOP on any debate. Those Premierships were the icing and the cake. But just when you thought you couldn’t fit another thing in, the sweets menu is getting passed around again as we move towards an inevitable final between Brisbane Lions and Collingwood in September. When and where is yet to be determined, but it seems to have a feeling of DESTINY about it. This is why I am so excited about our game against Collingwood this week. It is a taste of things to come.

TEAM SELECTION

Always a ‘HOT TOPIC’, here is what I think Fagan will go in with against Collingwood. Not my preferred line up, but close.

FB: Starcevich, Andrews, Payne

HB: McKenna, Lester, Wilmot

W: McCluggage, Robertson, Berry

HF: McCarthy, Hipwood, Ah Chee

F: Rayner, Daniher, Cameron

Foll: McInerney, Neale, Dunkley

I/C: Prior, Bailey, Zorko, Lohmann

SUB: Fletcher or Coleman

OUT OF LEFT FIELD – Lyons, Mathieson, Fort, Tunstill, Fullerton

This is pretty close to our best 22 and answers the question about Fagan’s “Three Talls” forward line. No Gunston, no “Three Talls” and this is not a bad thing. Since 2019, we have looked our best when we have had space in our forward half and players like Cameron, Bailey and McCarthy have had room to move. Daniher and Hipwood are a key part of our forward arsenal, but we look so much better when we are unpredictable, and we are certainly harder to contain. Collingwood were always going to struggle to contain us, which is why losing Darcy Moore is a major blow. We kicked 18 goals when we last met Collingwood and I am expecting that sort of return again. In a further injury blow, Collingwood supporters are wringing their hands about Nick Daicos, but I don’t think he is as much of an ‘out’ as Moore. Nick Daicos had 38 disposals in Round 4, kicked two goals and still played in a losing side. Maybe I am not paying him his due respects, but I still have him pegged as KING OF THE CHEAPIES. Aside from Nick Daicos and Moore, there are a number of key Collingwood players under an injury cloud. This close to finals, I would expect Collingwood to be conservative in team selection, opting to take fewer risks with important players. There are some ‘big occasion’ players at Collingwood under an injury cloud and this really helps our chances.
IMG_6570.png

Of those Brisbane Lions players that are sure to be selected on Thursday night, Cam Rayner is one who really needs to lift. I don’t think there is a player on our list more likely to divide and frustrate than Rayner. Coming into this game and this finals series, Rayner needs to repay the patience and faith that supporters who have stuck with him have shown. In our Round 4 clash against Collingwood he kicked 4 goals and looked like he was primed up for a big year. Last weekend against Adelaide, Rayner had 3 disposals in the second half, hence the rising levels of frustration amongst many supporters. Let’s hope ‘Good Cam’ turns up on Friday night.

In defence we look ROCK SOLID. With freshly re-signed Ryan Lester in career best form, Jack Payne and Harris Andrews teaming beautifully and McKenna and Wilmot providing run and Starcevich the meanest 'lockdown' defender in the business, the backline mix looks just about perfect.

Of course, all eyes will be on the midfield battle and if there is a danger for the Lions, it is that we get smashed in the middle. Fagan may choose to address this at team selection or he might close his eyes, cross his fingers and back Oscar, Neale, Dunkley, Robertson to get it done, with support from McCluggage, McCarthy, Bailey and Zorko in short bursts.

THE VERDICT

I’m expecting the Brisbane Lions to put the football world on notice this Friday night by beating Collingwood soundly. Hawthorn showed us how to beat the Pies, in case we needed any reminding, and I am fully expecting the Lions to come out and dismantle Collingwood. If it doesn’t play out that way and it is a tough grind, I still think we will get the job done.

BRISBANE BY 42 Points

Stroll Down Memory Lane

Watch for the massive haymaker Chris Smith throws at Rene Kink in an attempted ‘square up’ after Kink’s late hit on Peter Keays. If Smith had connected, Rene Kink would have been knocked into the next postcode.

At this one. Collingwood were in front all game, but we ground them down. A win at Victoria Park was always memorable. Collingwood fans were SAVAGE in the last quarter and after the game.

Bernie kicks his FIRST TON in 1983 and it just happened to be against the hapless Magpies. The beautiful thing about his 100th goal was that it was a trademark Superboot roost, kicked from a mile out and sailed through well above the heads of the defenders at the Fitzroy St. end.

ROOS! At this one too. This victory and the 1986 Elimination Final win over Essendon were the most excited I’ve ever been after a game.

#Lester200
#FrogMarch
#LesterArmy

Last edited:
Stroll Down Memory Lane cont...

“AKERMANIS HAS KICKED A GOAL!”

Watching this Premiership win was an absolute delight. Sit back, relax and watch the Lions dismantle Collingwood.

BRENNAN MAGIC.

Final siren heroics from Zac Bailey. What’s better than beating Collingwood by 10 goals? Beating them by a point with a kick after the siren.

Last edited:

Win this and top 2 pretty much sewn up, c’mon boys play like gladiators💪🏽 and not Dicko’s sitting ducks🦆😀
Is top 2 pretty much sewn up? Seems like finishing fourth is more likely, if results go as widely predicted. Not having a go, I just see this being said a fair bit and I'm not sure what it's based on.

Is top 2 pretty much sewn up? Seems like finishing fourth is more likely, if results go as widely predicted. Not having a go, I just see this being said a fair bit and I'm not sure what it's based on.

If we win this week, it will be hard for us not to finish top two

Fairly confident this week.

But our midfield needs to lift.

We have them covered at either end of the ground all else being equal.

But if the Pies that turned up for a quarter last week turns up for an extended period this week it'll be hard fought to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was absolutely gutted when we lost to Melbourne by a point and if a loss occurs on Friday it’ll be the exact same feeling for all of us. I have complete faith in us really ramping up our pressure and being selfless this week. Hopefully it’s enough to get the chocolates. Friday will have massive ramifications for if we win. We likely play at the Gabba throughout September. If not we’ll have a road qualifying and history would suggest road prelim. Collingwood or port on the road isn’t going to be easy.

I think Neale gets back to form and Dunkley presence in the middle is massive with Charlie getting off the hook. Lions by 11 with us not falling over in the 4th.

Will Gunstons replacement be a small or a tall.

Our available forward talls: Fullarton, Fort & Smith all being ruck/forwards/ruck.

Our available smalls: Lohmann, Cockatoo & B. Coleman. Lohmann well in front here.

Most likely outcome: Out Gunston, In Lohmann.

If Coleman declared fit he comes in for Prior

brisbane.jpg

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Will Ashcroft Knee Season
Keidean Coleman Face Test
Jack Gunston Knee 4 weeks
James Madden Shoulder Season
Carter Michael Quad TBC
Daniel Rich Hamstring 4 weeks
Updated: August 15, 2023

Early prognosis​

Coleman trained on Tuesday and is expected to be considered for selection this week, although after two weeks out, at which level is yet to be determined. Gunston has his left knee in a brace following confirmation of a strained MCL and will be re-evaluated in three or four weeks. – Michael Whiting

collingwood.jpg

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Josh Carmichael Thumb Test
Nick Daicos Knee 5 weeks
Charlie Dean Foot Season
Jordan De Goey Glute Test
Darcy Moore Hamstring 2-3 weeks
John Noble Ankle Test
Steele Sidebottom Foot Test
Updated: August 15, 2023

Early prognosis​

Collingwood will face Brisbane on Friday night without Moore after the skipper suffered a hamstring strain against Geelong. Sidebottom is pushing to return from a foot injury, but will need to prove his fitness later in the week. De Goey and Noble will also be assessed on Wednesday after suffering injury concerns against the Cats. – Josh Gabelich

Anyone notice on the latest instagram video regarding the Lester and Big O re-signing, they mentioned Oscar has a baby on the way due in two weeks.

I mean congratulations big fella but what’s with Lions players and having baby’s during the finals..

Lethal was well ahead of his time haha

We'll start trying for a baby in the new year.

It'll take a while ... Nine months later.

Anyone notice on the latest instagram video regarding the Lester and Big O re-signing, they mentioned Oscar has a baby on the way due in two weeks.

I mean congratulations big fella but what’s with Lions players and having baby’s during the finals..

So the baby is due in two weeks?

That's the pre finals bye isn't it?

Wow, kudos Big O, that's impeccable timing. Oh, and we're going to have your partner induced Sunday 3pm on the bye weekend if nothing has happened naturally by then.

Two weeks lad, that’s firmly in Bye week.

Seems Oscar planned it perfectly actually I’d say

Because it's widely predicted that we won't win this week
Use it to our advantage. All in all our back to back 6 day breaks and Pies having to travel to Marvel equals each other out. In all seriousness though we do play well there. Watching last week the Cats were sucked into the hyper fast ball movement which is the Pies thing. I hope we are a bit smarter. It will start with the ball being locked in our forward 50 so I hope we actually just move the magnets around a bit and even though it’s not like for like just bring in Kiddy for Gunston.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back