Preview Round O - Brisbane Lions v Carlton Gabba Friday 8 March 6.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1709542148261.png

1709542254650.png

The Prelim
I remember sort of laughing at the lead up to this game and the stories of the invasion of the Gabba by the Carlton faithful all week. As we all headed into the Gabba though, I think we realised that something was different about this particular final, even compared to some of the big games against other big Victorian clubs throughout the years.

Carlton had taken over the Gabba, and for 30 horrible minutes, it looked like that had taken away the game. The Carlton faithful got louder and louder as the mighty blues looked unstoppable. Carlton fans were looking up flights and accomodation at quarter time, convinced that the Blues would finally make it back to the big dance against the old enemy.

And then, like a small primary school in the not too distant future, they collapsed.

We headed out, overran them over the three remaining quarters and never really looked in too much trouble. The club's wedded together since the days at the bottom in 2015-2017 diverged yet again, and we were off to a Grand Final.

Heartbreak and learnings
The last time we played a game of football that mattered, we were one kick away from a premiership. That is one that will sting forever I think, and it is something that will drive the narrative of this season. Expectations are high, and the only way to heal might just be to put all that work in, get back to the big dance and go one better.

It's something that the coach and club have spoken to frequently and something we are uniquely qualified to deal with, having slowly improved each year after our rise in 2019.

The challenge now will be to take it one week at a time, and it starts with opening round, which does not sound like a real thing.

The Preseason
1709544173809.png

A few key stories have emerged over the intraclubs and practise matches. This list is not copied from 2023.
  1. Cam Rayner: Is he a midfielder
  2. Key Forwards: 2 or 3?
  3. Zorko: In the backline?
While this feels a bit groundhog day, we again ask ourselves if this is the season God King Cameron Rayner rises up and starts making an impact in the middle. Driven by the heartbreak of the grand final loss with a game he'd love to forget, Cameron Rayner has arrived looking fitter than he ever has and ready to make an impact on the competition. This could be the year he finally breaks out.

I have always argued that Darcy Gardiner is a gun forward, and have been constantly shouted down. It is something that has persisted long into the preseason and something that could potentially emerge in the middle of a game, but I doubt Darcy plays there very long. It does indicate a shift back to the three tall forward structure and reignites the fierce debate between bigfooty experts on what our best lineup looks like. I still like 2 talls, but I also thought we'd defeat Collingwood, so I can never trust myself again.

Zorko looked really good and impactful for the first quarter in the game against the Swans. If he could somehow pull out one more vintage Zorko season it would be very helpful.

The Match
1709544603391.png

This opening round could potentially be one of the scrappiest starts to a season yet, with teams still blowing out the cobwebs after shortened preseasons for many of the teams involved. Except for Richmond, who are now s**t.

One massive bonus for us is the absence of the person we overlooked for Joshua Shache, such is the talent of Weitering that any game without becomes significantly easier to win.

There are also some other significant Blues outs, including Walsh, Martin, Marchbank and Motlop.

I am terrified of how we start seasons, having been traumatised by the performances against Port Adelaide in 2023 and Sydney in 2021. Honestly even 2022 was a bit scary as well, also against Port. We tend to start seasons a bit slow and it will be interesting to see how we go in the opening round. We would have both Port 2023 and Carlton PF in our minds heading into this game and I do hope we are switched on from the beginning.

I don't really know what else to talk about. McKay missed a sitter on the weekend which was funny.

One Week at a Time

It's almost a bit freeing to be heading up to the Gabba to watch a regular season match after the high stakes game that was the Grand Final. This season will hopefully allow us to have a bit of perspective and enjoy the journey on the road to what is hopefully another strong finals campaign. There were so many peaks and troughs in 2023 and ultimately, we ended up in the big dance, so my stretch goal for this year is to not worry so much about the minutia of the game and just enjoy the fact that we are a strong team, with a great list and season ahead.

I'm sure that will last until 60 seconds into the first quarter.

I am so ready to have my heart broken again this season.

Lions by 11

Last edited:
Llllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooonnnnnnnnsssssssss!
savage-lion-tongue-licking-ik1olevrx1ifx3gz.gif

Bring on 2024, the year of the Lion. :brisbane: :trophy:

View attachment 1919493

View attachment 1919496

The Prelim
I remember sort of laughing at the lead up to this game and the stories of the invasion of the Gabba by the Carlton faithful all week. As we all headed into the Gabba though, I think we realised that something was different about this particular final, even compared to some of the big games against other big Victorian clubs throughout the years.

Carlton had taken over the Gabba, and for 30 horrible minutes, it looked like that had taken away the game. The Carlton faithful got louder and louder as the mighty blues looked unstoppable. Carlton fans were looking up flights and accomodation at quarter time, convinced that the Blues would finally make it back to the big dance against the old enemy.

And then, like a small primary school in the not too distant future, they collapsed.

We headed out, overran them over the three remaining quarters and never really looked in too much trouble. The club's wedded together since the days at the bottom in 2015-2017 diverged yet again, and we were off to a Grand Final.

Heartbreak and learnings
The last time we played a game of football that mattered, we were one kick away from a premiership. That is one that will sting forever I think, and it is something that will drive the narrative of this season. Expectations are high, and the only way to heal might just be to put all that work in, get back to the big dance and go one better.

It's something that the coach and club have spoken to frequently and something we are uniquely qualified to deal with, having slowly improved each year after our rise in 2019.

The challenge now will be to take it one week at a time, and it starts with opening round, which does not sound like a real thing.

The Preseason
View attachment 1919521

A few key stories have emerged over the intraclubs and practise matches. This list is not copied from 2023.
While this feels a bit groundhog day, we again ask ourselves if this is the season God King Cameron Rayner rises up and starts making an impact in the middle. Driven by the heartbreak of the grand final loss with a game he'd love to forget, Cameron Rayner has arrived looking fitter than he ever has and ready to make an impact on the competition. This could be the year he finally breaks out.

I have always argued that Darcy Gardiner is a gun forward, and have been constantly shouted down. It is something that has persisted long into the preseason and something that could potentially emerge in the middle of a game, but I doubt Darcy plays there very long. It does indicate a shift back to the three tall forward structure and reignites the fierce debate between bigfooty experts on what our best lineup looks like. I still like 2 talls, but I also thought we'd defeat Collingwood, so I can never trust myself again.

Zorko looked really good and impactful for the first quarter in the game against the Swans. If he could somehow pull out one more vintage Zorko season it would be very helpful.

The Match
View attachment 1919525

This opening round could potentially be one of the scrappiest starts to a season yet, with teams still blowing out the cobwebs after shortened preseasons for many of the teams involved. Except for Richmond, who are now s**t.

One massive bonus for us is the absence of the person we overlooked for Joshua Shache, such is the talent of Weitering that any game without becomes significantly easier to win.

There are also some other significant Blues outs, including Walsh, Martin, Marchbank and Motlop.

I am terrified of how we start seasons, having been traumatised by the performances against Port Adelaide in 2023 and Sydney in 2021. Honestly even 2022 was a bit scary as well, also against Port. We tend to start seasons a bit slow and it will be interesting to see how we go in the opening round. We would have both Port 2023 and Carlton PF in our minds heading into this game and I do hope we are switched on from the beginning.

I don't really know what else to talk about. McKay missed a sitter on the weekend which was funny.

One Week at a Time

It's almost a bit freeing to be heading up to the Gabba to watch a regular season match after the high stakes game that was the Grand Final. This season will hopefully allow us to have a bit of perspective and enjoy the journey on the road to what is hopefully another strong finals campaign. There were so many peaks and troughs in 2023 and ultimately, we ended up in the big dance, so my stretch goal for this year is to not worry so much about the minutia of the game and just enjoy the fact that we are a strong team, with a great list and season ahead.

Lions by 11
BOOM! Hard Act To Follow.

I don't think Madden can play even if McKenna is out based on last weeks game, and that's coming from someone who has wanted to see more of him in the past. In a game with seemingly little pressure, he seemed to find himself under it every time he touched the ball. His mistakes were just far to obvious in that game. Don't mind the idea of Cal at HB in place of McKenna if he's out.
Hard to imagine Madden getting a gig off what I have seen so far this pre-season.
I know many hate the idea but I would prefer to see Zorko rolled back in replace of McKenna, he uses the ball well and generally makes good decisions.
Madden has been too indecisive for mine.
Has Madden done enough to slot in for McKenna?
As Freddy Mercury would have said...
6de7ba40-5ee2-4801-9123-fdf2f819a16c_text.gif

From the Grand Final team, I'm bringing Payne back obviously and he replaces Gardiner.

But Gardiner moves to the forward line and replaces Dev Rob.

McKenna doesn't play and is replaced by Zorko who switches to half back.

His midfield role is taken by Cam Rayner.

Kai Lohmann comes in to take Rayner's forward role. Or change on the wing with Ah Chee or whoever.

The rest of the team is as selected on Grand Final day. Lyons arguably unlucky as he deserves to be playing on preseason form. Maybe Lyons plays instead of Lohmann if we value inside grunt more than outside spread, which against Carlton's engine room we may.

But we prefer to play 3 tall forwards, I want to see it work, let's see how Dizzy goes.

View attachment 1919493

View attachment 1919496

The Prelim

Heartbreak and learnings

The Preseason
View attachment 1919521

The Match
View attachment 1919525

One Week at a Time

Lions by 11
Well worth the wait!

Pumped for this season, a win here will keep the warm and fuzzies alive.

Go Lions 🦁

You'd have to think with Weitering out and 3 talls in our forward line we should have a picnic. Good chance for Dizz and Hipwood to provide marking options against less equipped players.

Feels like we were saying the same things about Port Adelaide this time last year. Seen plenty of comments like these flying around, and it certainly has me on edge.

Feels like we were saying the same things about Port Adelaide this time last year. Seen plenty of comments like these flying around, and it certainly has me on edge.
Na. I can see them coming out full of energy and anger and a tough contest for a quarter or two.

But we're better than them around the ground and will put them away fairly early. Unless we go completely missing.

The only thing that can stop us is me putting the mozz on us.

Na. I can see them coming out full of energy and anger and a tough contest for a quarter or two.

But we're better than them around the ground and will put them away fairly early. Unless we go completely missing.

The only thing that can stop us is me putting the mozz on us.
And kicking points ISO goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the pre season games and the season felt a while away.
I watched 360 and the season felt far away.
I watched the Couch and the season felt far away.
I read BRAB preview and YOU SON OF A BITCH WE'RE BACK!!!!

Dunkley most likely to go with Cripps as he did last year.
They may try to break that up a bit by moving Cripps forward. If so, that's a win for us anyhow.
Hewett most likely goes to Neale. He did a good job on Neale earlier in the season but not as good in the PF.
Both times he reduced Neals usual good output though.

Rayner was our least effective player (excluding sub Lyons) in the 2 games against the Blues last year so needs to turn that around in OR.
A big watch on him for a lot of reasons in this game so hope he ends up in our best players Friday night.

Carlton relies on Curnow to kick the majority of their goals so need to keep Curnow at least reasonably quiet.
Last year Curnow 81, McKay 29, Owies 27, Motlop 24, Martin 17, Silvagni 14, Cottrell 11, Durdin 11
Motlop, Martin and Silvagni are not playing, and Owies (calf) & Durdin (hamstring) have to pass a fitness test.
According to Voss, Zac Williams will be having his first game back from an ACL.

Another big clash is Big O v De Koning & Pittonet.
He handled them well in the 2 games in 2023 but we need another big game from the big fella.

When the draw was announced i thought this will be a hard game to win first up for the season.
But with all their injuries and us playing at The Gabba we should win this as long as our players are on from the first bounce.
I am hoping for a solid first quarter from the Lions with us slowly getting the upper hand as the game goes on.
A 25-point win with no injuries will be a solid result to start the year.
However, with our first season game record being average i will take any margin win and go home smiling.

Just had a look on ticketmaster.
Quite a lot of singles but also some doubles and groups of 3/4
Close to a sell out if they can sell those seats that are together.
You usually end up with singles unsold in an official sellout.
It isn’t any wonder they aren’t selling some of those tickets though with the price they are trying to get for them.

It'll be dour, scrappy and low-scoring, and the umpiring will be infuriating, but as long as we're four points closer to a premiership and me never having to watch another game of this rubbish, I'll be happy.
If preseason is any guide there might be 200 "dour, scrappy and low-scoring" affairs this season. Hopefully it's a poor guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back