Preview Round O - Brisbane Lions v Carlton Gabba Friday 8 March 6.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conversations at draft night events don’t go like that.

At the event I attended, we were told who our preferred player was at each pick, before the draft started, for the first round that night.

Of course the draft team have their list, if the player they hope for is gone before our pick.
The No.1 draft pick in 2015
Generally you're right BUT Weithering would not have been on anyone else's board but Carltons whom had committed to him as pick 1 in 2015. Every other player, yes, was in the can of choices. I'm pretty sure back then and even now the number 1 draft pick is pretty much assured and clubs start planning from there. If a club hasn't traded the number 1 draft even more so now with the Pick 1 cash bonus, you can be sure it's going on a player that cant be matched under father/son and so on.

Club has ruled Conor out.

My preference would be for Ah Chee to be our seventh defender, Zorko a distant second.
Absolutely. Ah Chee has to be in the team.

First thing Fagan must do is have a hard chat with the umpires and find out which offensives are flavour of the month in Melbourne, because we usually don't get included in the local Melbourne in-house chats.

I asked the world's most advanced large language model if, based on what we've learnt from the preseason and intra club matches, it thinks the Brisbane lions will win the premiership this year.

View attachment 1921020

Seems pretty good to me.
Ask it whether it thinks West Coast will win the premiership this year.

Looking forward to the team announcement tonight, my late mail:think:, from the Grand Final side >

Outs- Connor McKenna, Dev Robertson, Jarryd Lyons(sub).

Ins- Jack Payne, Kai Lohmann, James Tunstill(sub).

Pretty straight forward, the only change going on some of the talk from the club could be one of Harry Sharp or James Madden for James Tunstill IMO.

Looking forward to the team announcement tonight, my late mail:think:, from the Grand Final side >

Pretty straight forward, the only change going on some of the talk from the club could be one of Harry Sharp or James Madden for James Tunstill IMO.

I think that team makes the most sense. Tunstill's form and versatility helps him and would likely edge him ahead of Sharp. Madden a little bit behind based on recent form, I'd say.

Lester, Payne and Gardiner all in the same team though?

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Lester, Payne and Gardiner all in the same team though?
At the moment none of them are competing for the same role. They are playing 3rd tall back, 2nd tall back and 3rd tall forward.

When Doedee returns or if the Gardiner forward move fails, then they might be competing for spots.

Although if Lester gets pushed out of the best 22, I still have him as a good candidate for the sub spot. He is definitely someone who can plug a hole almost anywhere on the field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be surprised if Sharp or Madden managed to snag the sub spot based on what we saw in the pre-season matches. Tunstill as sub makes sense to me, and Lohmann showed enough against Sydney to earn a spot.

Would be surprised if Sharp or Madden managed to snag the sub spot based on what we saw in the pre-season matches. Tunstill as sub makes sense to me, and Lohmann showed enough against Sydney to earn a spot.
An interview I heard with Danny Daly yesterday, he seemed more complimentary of Tunstill than Lohmann.
Not saying that’s the way they will go because I am probably more with you.
I think Lohmann is a bit of a confidence player and if he can get off to a good start the year he could be a hard one to leave out.

An interview I heard with Danny Daly yesterday, he seemed more complimentary of Tunstill than Lohmann.
Not saying that’s the way they will go because I am probably more with you.
I think Lohmann is a bit of a confidence player and if he can get off to a good start the year he could be a hard one to leave out.
I’d have Kai and Jimmy T way ahead of Sharp and Madden and really hope we don’t see the latter two anywhere near the team sheet. JL will be interesting and whether he gets near it even as sub. Some good points were made on the Roar Deal as to why he should play.

Re Gardiner for those who don't listen - roar deal interview with ?? Bugger aged moment and forgotten name.

Club did a 'what do we do if hippy or Joe get injured?' analysis.

Coaches consensus - Young fellas aren't there yet. Try Gardiner. And we liked what he brings to the forward line re aggression, contesting and defending.

Got the impression they will use him there during season games so if needed he has the skill set.

Won't be at all surprised to see him there tomorrow night.

Re Gardiner for those who don't listen - roar deal interview with ?? Bugger aged moment and forgotten name.

Club did a 'what do we do if hippy or Joe get injured?' analysis.

Coaches consensus - Young fellas aren't there yet. Try Gardiner. And we liked what he brings to the forward line re aggression, contesting and defending.

Got the impression they will use him there during season games so if needed he has the skill set.

Won't be at all surprised to see him there tomorrow night.
It was Danny Daly re Gardiner position change

Just with Madden. Is it possible there's a difference between trying to impress in preseason games in a heavily rotated team, compared to playing a role in set team with 4 points on the line? Could this have something to do with his erratic form in the trial games? It seems he's been given the rails run to stand in for McKenna, been given every opportunity. I kinda think he'll be given a shot v Carlton.

I like the Gardner experiment, I am interested to see how it goes in the season proper. Given Rayner seems earmarked for the midfield, it seems a good opportunity to try Gardner as third tall/hybrid tall-small. It potentially give Lohmann a few weeks in ressies and Gardner a few weeks in the 1s to see how both are tracking for the forward roll. Lohmann might even force his way in to the sub role and it is all a moot point anyway.

I did like the look of both Lohmann and Tunstill in the preseason, at the very least they give Fagan a few good options and headaches.

Just with Madden. Is it possible there's a difference between trying to impress in preseason games in a heavily rotated team, compared to playing a role in set team with 4 points on the line? Could this have something to do with his erratic form in the trial games? It seems he's been given the rails run to stand in for McKenna, been given every opportunity. I kinda think he'll be given a shot v Carlton.

Madden surely plays while McKenna is out. Don't think there's any real debate (Sharp is not a defender etc)

B: Starc Payne Lester
HB: Coleman Andrews Wilmot
C: Fletcher Neale Berry
HF: Rayner Hipwood Zorko
F: Cameron Daniher Gardiner
Foll: OMac Dunkley McCluggage
I/C: Madden Bailey AhChee McCarthy
S: Tunstill/Lohmann

I would lean Tunstill sub personally.

Madden surely plays while McKenna is out. Don't think there's any real debate (Sharp is not a defender etc)

Could Zorks be the one replacing McKenna?

With no Silvagni or Martin the blues might go with a few mosquitos around the big 2. I know zorks is not a tight defender but if he is in the vicinity he always puts on pressure...

I would personally push Zorko back, but you also have AhChee named in your team who could also run as the 7th defender.

Madden was just so bad in the trials, he has likely played himself out of contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back