Resource 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order – NOW UP TO DATE (but not live)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 FUTURE PICKS

For the 2023 AFL Draft, see here:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2023-provisional-afl-draft-order.1333337/

This thread is for the 2024 Draft Order. Some of these picks will be traded as future pick trades in the 2023 trade period.

Through the trade period I will try and keep it as up to date as possible, but I am one person so please be patient.

I have also set up threadmarks on the round updates, and will do the same through the trade period as picks change hands. This allows you to put the thread in reader mode, only seeing updates, or to jump back and forth to particular trades that may be of interest. To access this feature please use the button at the top right corner of the thread.

Tag me if you notice anything that isn't quite right!

To embed this elsewhere on the forum please copy and paste the code below:
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1n1YAIVCRJySsA_ZndFNoSogTCA9CzQNQdTZjCge_KMg[/MEDIA]

Getting in early, Lore.

Footy's still going!
For you 😝 This board starts getting busy in July!

Mostly I just need the links so I can request announcements and share the links with the club board mods to put on their own boards. Which you may have noticed I didn't do yet 🤣 normally I do that a bit earlier but I've been pretty busy.

North Melbourne Assistance Package, 2023
NORTH Melbourne has been granted three draft selections as part of its assistance package from the League, which was approved by the AFL Commission on Monday.
The Roos' application for assistance came after another season in the bottom two on the ladder, with the club winning 12 of its past 84 games.
The AFL has given the Kangaroos three first-round picks over two years to help build their draft hand.
This year's pick will come at the end of the first round, while next year's two picks will also be placed at the end of the first round. The 2024 picks are subject to review next year.

These are END OF first round picks, so currently pick 19 & 20 for 2024 (indicated in black) (2023 in the 2023 thread)

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 17.09.12.png

The draft order for this thread is based on the end of round 24 ladder (finals are included for 2023 but pointless for this one until we get to the 2024 finals).

Last edited:
Personally, not very happy about picks being handed out next year.
Apparently can be reviewed but if they're on traded now, nothing can be done. Lip service at best from AFL.
Who knows what happens next year. I'd be livid if I was a Dogs supporter too.

Surely they won't be allowed to be traded.

Or if so should have a rider that the equivalent draft points can be deducted from North's picks next year after review.

Or if so should have a rider that the equivalent draft points can be deducted from North's picks next year after review.
Gill openly stated on AFL360 they can be traded. He all but said that was the deliberate design so they would be traded. His point was the assistance package was as strong as possible to get NM back to competitive as soon as possible, without pushing back any other clubs’ first round picks.

Guessing they are intended to be traded to Gold Coast in exchange for the pick they need to select that NGA kid from Tassie that they wanted a free hit on.

Pick swap: Fremantle receive a 2024 1st round pick (tied to Port Adelaide) in exchange for pick 23 and a 2024 2nd round pick (tied to Fremantle)
Pick swap: WB get picks 4, 46 & 51 and a 2024 3rd round pick (tied to GC) & GC for picks 10 & 17 and a 2024 1st round pick (tied to WB)
The above trade went through first, but AFL House made a typo and re-posted it so it looks like it went through after this one;

Western Bulldogs get picks 4, 46 & 51 and a 2024 3rd round pick (tied to Gold Coast)
Gold Coast get picks 10 & 17 and a 2024 1st round pick (tied to the Western Bulldogs)

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 16.58.18.png

James Harmes (Melbourne) to Western Bulldogs for a 2024 R3 pick (WB)

Western Bulldogs get James Harmes
Melbourne get a 2024 3rd round pick (tied to Western Bulldogs)

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 17.37.24.png

Dylan Stephens (Syd) with pick 25 to North Melbourne for pick 44 and a 2024 end of 1st round PP (NM's 1st)

North Melbourne get pick 25 and Dylan Stephens
Sydney get pick 44 and a 2024 end of 1st round priority pick (North Melbourne's first)

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 12.45.42.png

Brodie Grundy (Melb) to Sydney for pick 46 and a 2024 R2 (Syd)

Sydney get Brodie Grundy
Melbourne get pick 46 and a 2024 2nd round pick (tied to Sydney)

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 16.48.48.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick swap: North Melbourne get pick 18 & Gold Coast get a 2024 end of 1st round pick (NM's 2nd PP)
Schultz (Freo) to Collingwood for pick 34 and 2024 F1 (Coll)
Liam Henry (Freo) traded to St Kilda with a 2024 R2 pick (Freo) for 2024 R2 & R4 picks (both StK)
McAdam (Adel) to Melbourne in exchange for a 2024 R2 pick (Melb/Syd?)

Melbourne get Shane McAdam
Adelaide get a 2024 2nd round pick (assuming this is Melbourne’s own pick, but they also have Sydney’s)

IMG_0030.jpeg

Four-way trade involving Coffield, Dow, Essendon, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Carlton

Essendon get 35, 2024 R4 (Carl)
Essendon lose 52, 2024 R3 (Ess)

Western Bulldogs get 52, 56, Coffield
Western Bulldogs lose 2024 R4 (WB), 40

St Kilda get 2024 R3 (Carl), Dow, 40
St Kilda lose 35, 56, Coffield, 2024 R4 (Freo)

Carlton get 2024 R3 (Ess), 2024 R4 (Freo), 2024 R4 (WB)
Carlton lose 2024 R3 (Carl), Dow, 2024 R4 (Carl)

IMG_0034.jpeg

Ivan Soldo (Rich) traded to Port Adelaide with #50 for #41, #49, 2024 R2 (Freo), 2024 R4 (PA)

Port Adelaide get Ivan Soldo & pick 50
Richmond get picks 41, 49, a 2024 2nd round pick (tied to Fremantle) and a 2024 4th round pick (tied to Port Adelaide)

IMG_0035.jpeg

Jack Ginnivan (Coll) to Hawthorn with pick 39, F2 & F4 (both Coll), for pick 33, F2 & F3 (both Haw)

Port Adelaide get Ivan Soldo & pick 50
Richmond get picks 41, 49, a 2024 2nd round pick (tied to Fremantle) and a 2024 4th round pick (tied to Port Adelaide)

View attachment 1834241

Lore if a club trades away an F1, they have to have an F2, F3,F4 either their own or traded in. That hasn't changed has it?

Port have traded out F1 to Freo, have kept our F2, traded out Freo's F2 for Soldo, still have our F3, traded out F4 for Soldo.

If no changes to the rules, I assume because the AFL want's last day theatrics for TV, that Port have effectively been approved to receive an F4, to allow the Soldo deal to go thru.

I am assuming its from Essendon as part of the Duursma trade which is more likely to go thru than the Ratugolea trade. Can't see the Sweet trade involving a F4 from the bulldogs.

Lore if a club trades away an F1, they have to have an F2, F3,F4 either their own or traded in. That hasn't changed has it?
It hasn’t changed to my knowledge, but there’s a sort of loophole which is that the penalty for not having enough picks in the following year is that they’re not allowed to trade future picks…
Port have traded out F1 to Freo, have kept our F2, traded out Freo's F2 for Soldo, still have our F3, traded out F4 for Soldo.

If no changes to the rules, I assume because the AFL want's last day theatrics for TV, that Port have effectively been approved to receive an F4, to allow the Soldo deal to go thru.

I am assuming its from Essendon as part of the Duursma trade which is more likely to go thru than the Ratugolea trade. Can't see the Sweet trade involving a F4 from the bulldogs.
That could well be the case.

It happened once before, with the O’Meara trade when he went to Hawthorn, where for a brief period of time Hawthorn did not satisfy the requirement. They brought another future pick in with their next move that then allowed them to trade futures again.

I think they're being more flexible around R4 picks. For a period of time Brisbane had no F1 or F4 last year - we got Geelong's in a pick swap, traded ours to Hawthorn as part of the Gunston trade, then traded Geelong's to the Dogs in the Dunkley trade - along with our F1, putting us in violation of the rule.

The Dunkley trade was on Oct 12, and we only got a new F4 on Oct 21 from Adelaide for pick 56.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back