Resource 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order – NOW UP TO DATE (but not live)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 FUTURE PICKS

For the 2023 AFL Draft, see here:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2023-provisional-afl-draft-order.1333337/

This thread is for the 2024 Draft Order. Some of these picks will be traded as future pick trades in the 2023 trade period.

Through the trade period I will try and keep it as up to date as possible, but I am one person so please be patient.

I have also set up threadmarks on the round updates, and will do the same through the trade period as picks change hands. This allows you to put the thread in reader mode, only seeing updates, or to jump back and forth to particular trades that may be of interest. To access this feature please use the button at the top right corner of the thread.

Tag me if you notice anything that isn't quite right!

To embed this elsewhere on the forum please copy and paste the code below:
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1n1YAIVCRJySsA_ZndFNoSogTCA9CzQNQdTZjCge_KMg[/MEDIA]

I think they're being more flexible around R4 picks. For a period of time Brisbane had no F1 or F4 last year - we got Geelong's in a pick swap, traded ours to Hawthorn as part of the Gunston trade, then traded Geelong's to the Dogs in the Dunkley trade - along with our F1, putting us in violation of the rule.

The Dunkley trade was on Oct 12, and we only got a new F4 on Oct 21 from Adelaide for pick 56.
Possibly also because the future picks are valued by AFL standards as the last pick in that round, and the last pick in the 4th round isn’t worth anything points wise so is more or less irrelevant (especially in an era of SSP, MSD and 55-pick national drafts).

Possibly also because the future picks are valued by AFL standards as the last pick in that round, and the last pick in the 4th round isn’t worth anything points wise so is more or less irrelevant (especially in an era of SSP, MSD and 55-pick national drafts).
That was my supposition last year after the Dunkley trade. It may also only be required as of draft day or something, given we got one back for no real reason.

Elijah Hollands (GC) to Carlton with #28 & 2024 4th (Carl) for #26 & 2024 3rd (Ess)

Jack Billings (StK) traded to Melbourne for a future 3rd round pick (Melb)

Melbourne get Jack Billings
St Kilda get a 2024 3rd round pick (tied to Melbourne)

IMG_0044.jpeg

Jack Gunston (Brisbane Lions) traded to Hawthorn with #47, #61, F2 (BL) for Brandon Ryan (Haw), #39, #54 & F4 (Haw)

Hawthorn get Jack Gunston, pick 47, pick 61 & a 2024 2nd round pick (tied to Brisbane Lions)
Brisbane get Brandon Ryan, pick 39, pick 54 and a 2024 4th round pick (tied to Hawthorn)
IMG_0045.jpeg

Mabior Chol (GC) traded to Hawthorn with pick 62 for an F2 (Bris)

Gold Coast get a 2024 2nd round pick (tied to Brisbane Lions)
Hawthorn get Mabior Chol and pick 62

IMG_0048.jpeg

Last Trades: D’Ambrosio (Ess) to Hawthorn for #61 & 2024 R4 (Coll); Duursma (PA) to Essendon for Zerk-Thatcher, #73, 2x 2024 R4 (Ess & Carl)

Hawthorn get Massimo D’Ambrosio
Essendon get pick 61 and a 2024 4th round pick (tied to Collingwood)

Essendon get Xavier Duursma
Port Adelaide get Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, pick 73, and two 2024 4th round picks (tied to Carlton & Essendon)

IMG_0049.jpeg

Will probably use the same get out clause Geelong did, about having quality youth on their list acquired elsehow
We traded in for Richmond's 1st Rounder in 2020 Draft (to draft Max Holmes), traded in pick 7 from GC in 2022 Draft (to draft Jhye Clark) and used 1st rounder in 2023 (Conner O'Sullivan)

Confused as to what requirements we didn't meet?

We traded in for Richmond's 1st Rounder in 2020 Draft (to draft Max Holmes), traded in pick 7 from GC in 2022 Draft (to draft Jhye Clark) and used 1st rounder in 2023 (Conner O'Sullivan)
I know, that’s what I was referring to when I said “elsehow”.
Confused as to what requirements we didn't meet?
Clubs have to use 2 first round picks every 4 years and if they don’t they can be banned from future pick trading until they fulfil the requirement.

It’s supposed to stop clubs from selling themselves up the river, but there’s a way they can still trade futures if the AFL signs off (“get out clause”), which they did when Geelong could show that they had high quality young players on their list acquired via trade (“elsehow”).

It’s all perfectly legal and I’m not suggesting Geelong did anything wrong, but they do happen to be one of very few clubs to use it so far, with future pick trading still being in its relative infancy in the AFL.

TRADES COMPLETED DURING 2023 AFL DRAFT

Night one

1. St Kilda gets pick 42. Melbourne gets a future third.

2. Brisbane gets pick 24. Gold Coast gets picks 30, 51, 54, and 65.

3. St Kilda gets pick 27. Gold Coast gets picks 40 and 42.

4. Fremantle gets pick 38. Gold Coast gets picks 46, 60 and 63.

5. Adelaide gets picks 8 and 17. GWS gets picks 11, 15 and a future second.

6. Essendon gets pick 10. Geelong gets picks 11 and 31.

7. GWS gets pick 17. St Kilda gets pick 18 and a future second.

Night two

8. Brisbane gets pick 51. Gold Coast gets a future fourth.

9. Fremantle gets pick 35. Richmond gets pick 38 and a future third.

10. West Coast gets pick 38. Richmond gets 40 and a future third.

11. Port Adelaide gets pick 48. North Melbourne gets a future fourth.

12. St Kilda gets pick 50. GWS gets a future third.

13. Port Adelaide gets pick 52. Hawthorn gets a future fourth.

14. Sydney gets pick 53. Hawthorn gets 59 and a future fourth.

15. Essendon gets pick 54. Richmond gets a future fourth.

TRADES COMPLETED DURING 2023 AFL DRAFT

Night one

Night two

I am still not clear which F4 did Hawthorn get from Port as Port also gave North a F4

Lore during the trade period Port

traded out F1 to Freo in a pick swap, F4 to Richmond for Soldo trade
trade in F2 Freo then trade that out for Soldo Trade, F4 tied to Essendon and F4 tied to Carlton in Duursma trade

That left with an F2, F3 and 2 x F4s tied to other clubs.

Then on the 2nd trade night, we traded out F4 tied to Essendon to NM for pick 48 and F4 tied to Carlton to Hawthorn for pick 52.

I have it that Port now only have their own F2 and F3 for the 2024 draft.

I thought the rules said that if you had traded out F1, you had to have at least 1 each of F2, F3 and F4.

Does that only apply to the position at the end of the trade period, or is this another flexible AFL rule?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still not clear which F4 did Hawthorn get from Port as Port also gave North a F4
I have it we traded out F4 tied to Essendon to NM for pick 48 and F4 tied to Carlton to Hawthorn for pick 52.

That would make sense which picks the trades were done at and where the future picks are expected to land.

Lore during the trade period Port

traded out F1 to Freo in a pick swap, F4 to Richmond for Soldo trade
trade in F2 Freo then trade that out for Soldo Trade, F4 tied to Essendon and F4 tied to Carlton in Duursma trade

That left with an F2, F3 and 2 x F4s tied to other clubs.

Then on the 2nd trade night, we traded out F4 tied to Essendon to NM for pick 48 and F4 tied to Carlton to Hawthorn for pick 52.

I have it that Port now only have their own F2 and F3 for the 2024 draft.

I thought the rules said that if you had traded out F1, you had to have at least 1 each of F2, F3 and F4.

Does that only apply to the position at the end of the trade period, or is this another flexible AFL?????
The AFL don't seem to care about F4s in the scheme any more. The Lions had a period without one last year. It wouldn't surprise me if it's only F2 and F3 these days given F4s are basically zero points since they're assumed to be the last pick in the round when future picks, regardless of who's they are.

The AFL don't seem to care about F4s in the scheme any more. The Lions had a period without one last year. It wouldn't surprise me if it's only F2 and F3 these days given F4s are basically zero points since they're assumed to be the last pick in the round when future picks, regardless of who's they are.
That's not quiet true given Rd 3 ends at 54 if there are no add on picks and the elimination of picks for matching bids.

Pick 55 is worth 207 pts and with the 197 pt discount for matching bids, lets you take a player as high as pick 42.
Pick 65 is worth 90 pts and with the 197 pt discount for matching bids lets you take a player as high as pick 49.

Anyway it looks like typical AFL make it up as we go along and be very flexible with a lot of its own rules - bit like umpiring the rules of the game I guess.

That's not quiet true given Rd 3 ends at 54 if there are no add on picks and the elimination of picks for matching bids.

Pick 55 is worth 207 pts and with the 197 pt discount for matching bids, lets you take a player as high as pick 42.
Pick 65 is worth 90 pts and with the 197 pt discount for matching bids lets you take a player as high as pick 49.

Anyway it looks like typical AFL make it up as we go along and be very flexible with a lot of its own rules - bit like umpiring the rules of the game I guess.
For future picks, the value of each is calculated as the last pick in that round - i.e. normally pick 18, 36, 54, and 72. Given the addition of picks further up in next year's draft the last pick in round 4 next year is actually 74, and hence a future fourth is worth zero points.

Lore can we get this moved to the draft page, and get it operational? It's not "Live" currently.
It’s on my list for this week — still need to put in the draft night trades (and figure out what they were), then I can make it live and improve its visibility on the boards

It’s on my list for this week — still need to put in the draft night trades (and figure out what they were), then I can make it live and improve its visibility on the boards

From FoxSports.com.au:

Night one

Night two

From FoxSports.com.au:

Night one

Night two

I thought, we Brisbane traded our 2024 third round pick to GC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back