MRP / Trib. Fyfe in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Being brought up about the place of course, probably the only real downer from the game was that Fyfe collecting Lewis in the first quarter. Figured it deserves it's own thread. Here's the vision for those who may have missed it:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-17/is-fyfe-in-strife

At first I thought he might be OK given it was a bit of sloppy swinging arm rather than a fist to the head type thing and the fact that Lewis played on completely fine would help him. Lewis does like to make these things look worse than they are and I thought that might be it.

But looking at that vision, I can't see how Fyfe's not going to get some citation from the MRP.

Being brought up about the place of course, probably the only real downer from the game was that Fyfe collecting Lewis in the first quarter. Figured it deserves it's own thread. Here's the vision for those who may have missed it:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-17/is-fyfe-in-strife

At first I thought he might be OK given it was a bit of sloppy swinging arm rather than a fist to the head type thing and the fact that Lewis played on completely fine would help him. Lewis does like to make these things look worse than they are and I thought that might be it.

But looking at that vision, I can't see how Fyfe's not going to get some citation from the MRP.

Insufficient force surely......It would have to be the same as Johnson last week. But with the MRP you never know.

Here's what The Age reckons:

Nat Fyfe (Fre) striking Jordan Lewis (Haw): Intentional, low impact, body contact. Loading: 20 per cent and 6.25 carry-over. 125 points up due to bad record to 150, up due to carry-over to 156.25 (1 match); 117.19 with guilty plea (1 match).

He's gone for at least a week, you'd think. The hit on Lewis was dumb.

Played the first quarter under the influence of Sandi's "Leigh Matthews" angry pills.

Insufficient force surely......It would have to be the same as Johnson last week. But with the MRP you never know.

Well the insufficient force thing is a possibility - it's one of those 'out clauses' that the MRP can go to.

I actually reckon Fyfe's had less force than Varcoe's on Suban the other night, but Fyfe's looked worse (swinging round house action) and sometimes that's all they need - also Suban is a tough mofo and Lewis was soft and made it look like he'd just done some rounds with Ali.

Depends. If mrp based on the medical report which it has always done then it'll be insufficient force. And it's not clear it's a hit to the head or shoulder. considering the current sentiment on players rubbed out for minor offenses I would think its a good chance he'll be let off

Wrote a post in the gameday thread about this - the Age saying "intentional" is irresponsible journalism. If you look at it, you can see it was Lewis's action of bring his arm up that forced Fyfe's arm up higher. Looked to me that without that, Fyfe would have hit his upper arm. Fyfe should know better than that, really, and it was pretty reckless, but I don't think he was aiming for the head.

He'll go, without a doubt... but intentional shouldn't be a part of the reason.

If they get a chance to boot him they will.

So what if it was less force than Varcoe or less intentional than someone else? What is the point of saying that? The outcomes of the MRP have consistently been utterly inconsistent with previous relevant outcomes.

It is just as relevant to say: here is the vision.... and by the way, pink monkey spaghetti train.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably deserves a week but this is what shits me. Crowley gets paid multiple frees against because the umps perceive scragging, playing the man, interfering with the ball player. Opposition players do the same thing to Fyfe and it seems to be fine, and Fyfe gets penalised when he retaliates. It doesn't compute.

Using the Steve Johnson precedent of the umpire seeing the incident and not doing anything other than a FK he could be ok. The other argument we can make is the contact started on the arm/body then slipped up.

We are owed a favour or two from the MRP.

Impact was low you'd think, yes Lewis left the ground but he took his kick and ended up with 44 touches!

On the down side Fyfe was selfish in the first qtr, his arousal curve was dangerously high I think, still needs to work on that to be perfect ; )

Using the Steve Johnson precedent of the umpire seeing the incident and not doing anything other than a FK he could be ok. The other argument we can make is the contact started on the arm/body then slipped up.

Impact was low you'd think, yes Lewis left the ground but he took his kick and ended up with 44 touches!

On the down side Fyfe was selfish in the first qtr, his arousal curve was dangerously high I think, still needs to work on that to be perfect ; )

Match Review Panel doesn't use precedent. They use a dart board instead.

It may depend on the Hawks medical report. Let's give Clarkson a call.

Reckon he'll get a week.

Brisbane are vastly improved and play extremely well at home; don't want to find ourselves in a similar position we were up against St Kilda. So hopefully he gets off.

Reckon he'll get a week.

Brisbane are vastly improved and play extremely well at home; don't want to find ourselves in a similar position we were up against St Kilda. So hopefully he gets off.

Didn't play to well at home 8 days ago against the 8th placed Crows. ;)

I am being a smart ass though as i totally agree with you.

Guilty plea and take the week, don't want to be one of those guys but it's only Brisbane and a rest will do him wonders. They'll want him out for 3 ideally so someone can overtake him in Brownlow votes.

Can't say that, we all said the same thing going into the Saints game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back