Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably get a pick in 40s or beyond for T Hunt.

To get a Newton, who appears to be rated internally at Port Adel, I think we would need to part with our pick 35. Ready made player, could be worth it, adds depth to our mids... Might keep premiership window open if a gun.

In a draft with 5 good KPD prospects, I'd be surprised if we don't get one KPD.

I really hope they don't pick a KPF and try to convert them to KPD. Really think we need to recruit a natural KPD.

I always thought that Smedts and Thurlow would be our half back flankers, but we may need to add there bc I'm not sure if Smedts is going to be a defender.

Couldn't possibly name anyone seeing as I haven't seen them play, but in general, I just hope Well's doesn't reach too much for a long term prospect who will require 5 pre-seasons before they can attend a centre bounce, or man a KF or KB.

I don't expect the next Chad Wingard or Jaeger Omeara. I just want a guy who shows pretty early that he will at least become a B+ player, and is fit enough and durable enough to have an influence by his second year.

I'd get one key backman.
Hopefully a Newton type IMHO need someone closer to ready made.
2 other mid types Or a good half back type.
My tip i mean 2 cents worth Wells will pick Corey Ellis.
Duggan would be a good get aswell.
Ellis and Duggan look like good mids/defenders that can play inside/outside. I could see one of these players slipping through for a latter value pick.

If we get a KPD this draft, I'd say we will use picks 14 or 21, depending on which they may go for.

Ellis and Duggan look like good mids/defenders that can play inside/outside. I could see one of these players slipping through for a latter value pick.

If we get a KPD this draft, I'd say we will use picks 14 or 21, depending on which they may go for.
Shane Nelson might slip also.
I liked your write up on Mcdonald (if cut and past job thought that counts) yeah depending if they like goddard seems to be suited at FB atm.An less a Lever or Durdin drop again depends if we grow our own tall defender or get one in FA next year.

Couldn't possibly name anyone seeing as I haven't seen them play, but in general, I just hope Well's doesn't reach too much for a long term prospect who will require 5 pre-seasons before they can attend a centre bounce, or man a KF or KB.

I don't expect the next Chad Wingard or Jaeger Omeara. I just want a guy who shows pretty early that he will at least become a B+ player, and is fit enough and durable enough to have an influence by his second year.
So much this^^.

14 - Goddard

When lonergan retires we are in trouble, kolo is a 3rd tall and hamling probably won't make it. That is why we need to go the 196cm full back in Goddard who is perfectly suited to that negating fb role on the no.1 big forwards. Goddard, kolo and Taylor will be a good 3 pillar defence in 2017 onwards.

21 - blakley

I still feel sick that this is all we are accepting for bundy by seemingly willing to be bent over without a fight. Blakley is a similar clearance player who uses it well and quite evasive in the stoppages. Is a chance to be available here and could play 5 games in 2015, has senior WAFL experience.

Knowing wells, these guys will be available but we will probably go 2 players most other recruiters rate in the 30s and 40s (which might work out but also as we watch the likes of Goddard and blakley flourish at other clubs).

I think you'd better stop thinking about who we're going to get, Turbocat, if all you're doing is putting Wellsy off the good 'uns. How about deciding to like all the weaker players so we get a shot at some of the top shelf kids instead?
Sort of a kiss of death. OK Id like us to draft with our first pick using Jarrod Picket , our second on Tyler Kietel and the our third on Oleg Markov

There you go , there three that are dead in the water.

Rookie picks Caleb Daniel and Shannon Taylor..... add another two.

Sort of a kiss of death. OK Id like us to draft with our first pick using Jarrod Picket , our second on Tyler Kietel and the our third on Oleg Markov

There you go , there three that are dead in the water.

Rookie picks Caleb Daniel and Shannon Taylor..... add another two.
Good work!!
Anyone else who feels they are also the Kiss of Death, please nominate duds here :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance of us picking up Panos with a lateish pick, or will he most likely be gone by then?
Possible. Any reports that Cats are looking at him?
He's a big mid - but does he have the pace and endurance for the top level (AFL)?

Any chance of us picking up Panos with a lateish pick, or will he most likely be gone by then?

Yes, now I've been thinking about this guy, big midfielder like Barlow, Perfect age and AFL ready, carved it in the SANFL, and looks superb physically.
BOG in SA GF, 5 or 6th in the Megaery medal after missing late games.

After having a good look at his tape I'm all over Caleb Daniel. He looks a player. To me his height is irrelevant. He can get the footy and uses it well. He is a real live wire. People need to look beyond how tall he is and at what he can do. I'd be rapt if we picked him and I guarantee he would be a crowd favourite.

regarding Panos - this is from 29 Sept and we aren't listed as one of the teams looking at him, or maybe we are playing are cards close to our chest on this one:
Panos will attend the state screening on October 11, meaning at least two clubs have expressed interest in the former under-18 All Australian.

AFL.com.au understands premiers Hawthorn as well as the Sydney Swans, Collingwood, the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne have shown interest.

Port Adelaide is also believed to have inquired after watching Panos get the better of its own second-tier midfielders on multiple occasions this season, including the Grand Final.

The question marks on him are pace, troublesome hamstrings and his ability to cover the ground after running 11-12km in his better games this season.

"He'd want to get that up between 13 and 14km, but we were trying to protect him a little bit with him hamstrings," Ross said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-29/old-dog-new-pick

After having a good look at his tape I'm all over Caleb Daniel. He looks a player. To me his height is irrelevant. He can get the footy and uses it well. He is a real live wire. People need to look beyond how tall he is and at what he can do. I'd be rapt if we picked him and I guarantee he would be a crowd favourite.
Not sure if he's right up there with Lewy Taylor's ability to accumulate, but I think he's even smaller and around 167cm? Could see him getting drafted after pick 30 IMO...he's certainly got a motor on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back