Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding Panos - this is from 29 Sept and we aren't listed as one of the teams looking at him, or maybe we are playing are cards close to our chest on this one:
Panos will attend the state screening on October 11, meaning at least two clubs have expressed interest in the former under-18 All Australian.

AFL.com.au understands premiers Hawthorn as well as the Sydney Swans, Collingwood, the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne have shown interest.

Port Adelaide is also believed to have inquired after watching Panos get the better of its own second-tier midfielders on multiple occasions this season, including the Grand Final.

The question marks on him are pace, troublesome hamstrings and his ability to cover the ground after running 11-12km in his better games this season.

"He'd want to get that up between 13 and 14km, but we were trying to protect him a little bit with him hamstrings," Ross said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-29/old-dog-new-pick
He could probably play as a "high half forward" a bit like how M Barlow has played this year for Freo. Playing bursts in middle, and a high pushing forward. Like a Dustin Martin also.

Interesting that the Pies are looking at him again.

He could probably play as a "high half forward" a bit like how M Barlow has played this year for Freo. Playing bursts in middle, and a high pushing forward. Like a Dustin Martin also.

Interesting that the Pies are looking at him again.

Can't see why we wouldn't, the guy can play multiple roles but starred as an inside mid in the SANFL. Now that's versatility.

He was drafted as a key forward by the Bullies who thought he was a one trick pony, little did they realise.
Depends how our picks pan out if he's a possibility. 191-2cms and 90kg I think.

Last edited:

I personally don't care as long as Nadia comes.

I think realistically that the key position cream will be gone by 14 ( lever, march and, Goddard, etc), I pray cockatoo is still there and that a mature bodied extractor at 21 like Blakely and that Caleb Daniel is there at 35 (25 if we can swap our 35 for 25 as part of the Christianson trade). So, my ideal outcome would be Cockatoo, Blakely or the SA kid (Bamford?) or Panos, and Caleb Daniel. Our midfield depth is easily the most pressing issue, and we need to pick mids who are not going to take 3 years to play seniors.

I think realistically that the key position cream will be gone by 14 ( lever, march and, Goddard, etc), I pray cockatoo is still there and that a mature bodied extractor at 21 like Blakely and that Caleb Daniel is there at 35 (25 if we can swap our 35 for 25 as part of the Christianson trade). So, my ideal outcome would be Cockatoo, Blakely or the SA kid (Bamford?) or Panos, and Caleb Daniel. Our midfield depth is easily the most pressing issue, and we need to pick mids who are not going to take 3 years to play seniors.[/QUOTE]
So much this.While Selwood is in His prime give him help now with good young mids that are closer to ready made.

I think realistically that the key position cream will be gone by 14 ( lever, march and, Goddard, etc), I pray cockatoo is still there and that a mature bodied extractor at 21 like Blakely and that Caleb Daniel is there at 35 (25 if we can swap our 35 for 25 as part of the Christianson trade). So, my ideal outcome would be Cockatoo, Blakely or the SA kid (Bamford?) or Panos, and Caleb Daniel. Our midfield depth is easily the most pressing issue, and we need to pick mids who are not going to take 3 years to play seniors.
Cats won't shift the goal-posts on the Christensen trade, once he passes the fitness test, the trade is completed for pick 21.

If we don't select a KPD this draft, then we'll have to get a ready made one in 1-2 years. You would expect if we draft a KPD then they'll need at minimum 2 years in the VFL academy, until they are 21-22yo. Kolo should get game time in 2015, and depending on how Rivers is going, then he may be a regular in the seniors by 2016.

I wonder if they go for Goddard as a KPD..I think he may still be there at 14 and he gets big wraps….as does Marchbank….

An ex teammate of mine who knows a bit reckons Sean McClaren is one The Cats should look at……does anyone know anything about him?

I wonder if they go for Goddard as a KPD..I think he may still be there at 14 and he gets big wraps….as does Marchbank….

An ex teammate of mine who knows a bit reckons Sean McClaren is one The Cats should look at……does anyone know anything about him?

McLaren - Haven't seen footage of him, but apparently he can play forward, defence and in the ruck. Is 197cm, so at AFL will probably play KPF or KPD. He looks like a project player you could pick up with a late or rookie pick that may take 3-4 years in VFL so he can learn his craft. Very possible he could learn that shut-down defender role given he has long limbs to spoil.

IMO the following KPDs are more rounded with their rebound attack utilising their intercept and contested marking capabilities - Lever, Marchbank, Goddard, Durdin then McDonald. I think little separates this group and in 2-3 years it will be interesting to see where they stack up.

Last edited:
It's hard enough predicting trades and delistings with players on or list
Impossible to guess who Wells may pick in the draft
But I did go look at vision of the kids mentioned above
My first impressions were :-

I like Blakely and Laverde the are clean poised in traffic and use the ball by and and foot
I doubt we will get a shot at either.
First pick a midfielder that has something special ie, big. strong. super fast. evasive. ball magnet. great vision... etc.

Caleb Daniel is too small and not fast or skilled enough to make up the difference
Goddard not a great athlete looks too slow speed and mentally. Also didn't use the ball well enough.
An old fashioned mark and kick player. We should be able to do better.

Isn't he a bit on the short side for a KPD these days Davo?

The only thing with Blakely is his kicking looks a bit "loopey", eg it's not flat, hard or penetrating. For that reason I think a team like the Hawks with their superior kicking skills would not select him. Nonetheless, he could be that draft steal - he looks like he's pretty composed under pressure.

I really like the vision of J Steele, who the GWS have selected from its zone. He seems to play the contested footy well. Cats should really look at the GWS list of talent for some trades.

Caleb Daniel is too small and not fast or skilled enough to make up the difference

Yes I was going to say this. 168cm is abnormally short, not quick and his kick lacks power and penetration from the 2 minutes I just watched. He is stocky limbed and will struggle to even tackle AFL players. No chance for this lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how many picks will we have.

We need to get Blitz in and Clark as well. If what has been said our second round pick will get Clark to us.

We have lost Burbs, Schroder and Stringer off the main list - that opens 3 picks - but we lose two for Blitz and Clark. That leaves one pick.

Bundy goes (for a miserable pick IMO) so that makes two picks - and maybe Varcoe goes and we have 3 picks - and if THunt goes 4 live picks. Or that Varcoe goes in a trade with Melbourne - the same result happens.

I think that is what will happen and it is about time Wells had 4 picks.

IMO Kelly should have been retired - and that would open up another pick and money. Oh well.

Lonergan staying is good news because we do not have a KPD ready to go - and in fact we are still in trouble if it is his last season. Hard to get someone to develop into a KPD in 12 months.

We always seem just a bit behind - and we are not getting much for Bundy - or Varcoe or THunt - if they go. We need to have few injuries this coming season or we could be in trouble again.

Not sure how we get ahead of the curve - but we need pray that Lang and Hartman come good next season - and Murdoch takes some decent strides in his development. And we need Simpson to come good or we trade for Giles. Just gotta get this ruck thing sorted.

has to be a key defender, Only Hamling, Toohey, Kolodjashnij & Brown are left on the list. Taylor is the only one we can pencil in for season 2016 at this stage.
Hawthorn trumping us with Frawley may have also dealt our hand a little early this time around.

Then again, Christensen's loss has effectively taken us aback so who knows. Dangerfield is the one we'd really want but there will be 8 other clubs vying for his signature by this same time next year.
Can we consider Walker in the mix in defence, and Blic?
IF, Simpson, HMc are up and playing, and Clark, Walker is a prospect there now- I would not have thought that a year ago, but this guy has "both ends" written all over him, with smatterings of improvement every year.

Can we consider Walker in the mix in defence, and Blic?
IF, Simpson, HMc are up and playing, and Clark, Walker is a prospect there now- I would not have thought that a year ago, but this guy has "both ends" written all over him, with smatterings of improvement every year.

you and many others have been asking for that to happen since pre season but the coaching staff didn't give it a try unfortunately. Obviously they know what's best but from the few times Blicavs dropped back into defence this season, he looked quite capable. Much different ball game when he actually is assigned to a forward but I sure would like to see him get a go at it. NAB Challenge games are experimental time, let's hope we see either one of the two play next to Harry then.

Still think Clark will play deep like a Hale, and pinch hit in ruck. There is a spot for Walker to play as a leading CHF.

Blicavs as a KPD could be interesting, not sure if he is quick off the mark to spoil on the lead or able to combat aerially for contested or intercept marks.

he took some nice intercept marks the times when he did play there. I haven't seen him take many contested marks. That doesn't appear to be his strong suit as of yet.
You may also be right about his explosiveness from a standing start but they do say he's the best athlete at the club and one of the quickest too so I guess if anyone could work their way through it, Blicavs can.

So how many picks will we have.

We need to get Blitz in and Clark as well. If what has been said our second round pick will get Clark to us.

We have lost Burbs, Schroder and Stringer off the main list - that opens 3 picks - but we lose two for Blitz and Clark. That leaves one pick.

Bundy goes (for a miserable pick IMO) so that makes two picks - and maybe Varcoe goes and we have 3 picks - and if THunt goes 4 live picks. Or that Varcoe goes in a trade with Melbourne - the same result happens.

I think that is what will happen and it is about time Wells had 4 picks.

IMO Kelly should have been retired - and that would open up another pick and money. Oh well.

Lonergan staying is good news because we do not have a KPD ready to go - and in fact we are still in trouble if it is his last season. Hard to get someone to develop into a KPD in 12 months.

We always seem just a bit behind - and we are not getting much for Bundy - or Varcoe or THunt - if they go. We need to have few injuries this coming season or we could be in trouble again.

Not sure how we get ahead of the curve - but we need pray that Lang and Hartman come good next season - and Murdoch takes some decent strides in his development. And we need Simpson to come good or we trade for Giles. Just gotta get this ruck thing sorted.
Delistings of Bourke and Sheringham create two rookie vacancies for rookie draft 2014.

Just watched a few highlights packages from the U18 champs. While I will likely never predict what Wells will do, I would nonetheless be surprised if he passed over Laverde in the event the young fella was still available at pick 14 (or whatever is our first pick). Versatile utility, good overhead, decent skills and can kick a goal - just smacks of the Wells type IMO. Perhaps a bit too developed though:D

Blakely seems like a type we could use - good size, strong in contested situations and good hands to dish off under pressure. Plus Sam Mitchel type pace at the stoppages (i.e. deceptively energetic and evasive over the first 1.5 steps:D. Seems pretty hard at it too. Got caught unaware a few times in the champs, but Ablett got caught a few times too once I recall, so going by this board's logic (Greg Williams was slow so GHS will be a star, Fyfe was pick 20 so we will draft a star with 21 that we get for Bundy, the class of 1999 and 2001 just needed time so ditto for the post 2007 class etc - sorry major digression there), he will be a champion.

No seriously, I like the look of him and wouldn't be disappointed if Wells deemed him worthy at 21.

Edit: and he has played senior footy and done well apparently, which Wells, somewhat ironically given he loves project players, considers very important as far as being able to judge a prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back