Preview Round 11: Geelong vs Big Big Sound, Sat 27 May @ 4:35pm at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had 107 disposals less than Freo last week. Wouldn't want that to happen against GWS but we haven't brought in anyone who will help change that. Freo played in front, hunted the ball and ran in numbers. I hope we come with a plan.

Anyone else get the feeling they are holding back players until the Dogs game? Maybe the coaching group feel they have enough to beat the Giants tomorrow, but know the Dogs game is a hugely important one before the bye and have targeted that to have a much stronger lineup.

Last edited:
Anyone else get the feeling they are holding back players until the Dogs game? Maybe the coaching group feel they have enough to beat the Giants tomorrow, but know the Dogs game is a hugely important one before the bye and have targeted that to have a much stronger lineup.
100%
I think they aren’t trying to bring back car too many players after a long lay off
I’m expecting Rohan and Dangerfield to be back next week at a minimum.

Then Bowes, Duncan straight after the bye

Good call. I think ideally we would love to give some of those guys another week off leading into the bye, which gives them two more weeks recovery time. But the Dogs game is now looming as a must win. Shame we coudln't have played North or someone like that leading into the bye. But it's the Dogs and we need as many hands on deck as possible to win that.

100%
I think they aren’t trying to bring back car too many players after a long lay off
I’m expecting Rohan and Dangerfield to be back next week at a minimum.

Then Bowes, Duncan straight after the bye

They're probably hoping Guthrie and Stanley will be right to go by then too.

I've just looked at our side and of the 22 named, 17 are premiership players. So we're slowly getting back to full strength. Just a shame that four of the missing five from the flag still on the list are from the on-ball brigade!

Last edited:

I've just looked at our side and of the 22 named, 17 are premiership players. So we're slowly getting back to full strength. Just a shame that of the four missing from the flag still on the list, all of them are from the on-ball brigade!
I’m not hopeful Stanley will be back within the next month.
Doesn’t sound good is updates

I think that’s a strong possibility and maybe the fracture isn’t healing properly
That wouldn't be fun. I was under the impression it was more about him feeling right in his body. Like SDK, less about healing & more about the confidence to put his body where it needs to be. An issue in the actual healing would have us all a bit worried...

I've just looked at our side and of the 22 named, 17 are premiership players. So we're slowly getting back to full strength. Just a shame that of the four missing from the flag still on the list, all of them are from the on-ball brigade!
Guthrie and Stanley after the bye I think. Stanley the longer term and I'm hearing he won't play until the "back end" of the home and away rounds.

Was told yesterday that both Dangerfield and Rohan could have played this week. Seems to be a clear focus on getting 4 points in the Dogs game - but also playing the longer game as they did with a few blokes last year. I think they'll look back to the same scenario with Dangerfield last year and the impact he had from being fresh in the second half of the season ..... hard to argue.

No one will say it publicly, but the club will be confident if they can turn 7-5 at the bye. Whilst no one is writing off top 4 just yet, I think after last year, they'll be confident of winning it from anywhere inside the 8. Scott has repeatedly said that the aim again is to hit finals in good form and with a healthy list and everything they're doing now gives them the best chance to do that.

An extra week or two for Rohan / Danger/ Guthrie is going to cause some short term frustration for us supporters ...... but the club clearly has a plan and the long game is what they're focusing on. Hard to argue with that given the age demographic.

Trust the club. They've earned that surely?

No one will say it publicly, but the club will be confident if they can turn 7-5 at the bye.
Absolutely they will. But even with Danger and Rohan back next week, that will be no easy feat. The lack of a competitive ruck/mids system is killing us at the moment. And the Dogs are perfectly placed to punish that deficiency, considering their relative strengths in those areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely they will. But even with Danger and Rohan back next week, that will be no easy feat. The lack of a competitive ruck/mids system is killing us at the moment. And the Dogs are perfectly placed to punish that deficiency, considering their relative strengths in those areas.
Dogs have a pretty healthy list right now but I still think their lack of depth will be exposed in the second half of the season.

They're a challenge right now, and at marvel. I'll back C Scott to come up with a plan and also remind myself that we have a pretty good record against them.

I must admit when I first saw Mullin two years ago when they said they would recruit him back then, I thought he looks like a bit of a specimen. Can only say he would've improved in strength and fitness since then.

Tbh, he probably more resembles someone like Andrew McGrath at Bombers in terms of fitness and type of athlete. McGrath was a No1 draft pick if people still recall. Not saying he will play like him, but on physical attributes as an athlete, would be very similar.
I think McGrath is as good a comparison as any. I heard him (McGrath) say recently that as a kid he was into athletics, and played very little footy before his late teens. Much more athlete than footballer.

From what I've seen & heard of Mullin, I think he's in a similar boat at the moment just in terms of what he brings to the side: fantastic speed & athleticism, but probably needs a bit of short term leeway on footy IQ. That said, I also think that his experience with Gaelic footy, albeit a different game, probably gives him much better footy instincts and will likely help him get up the footy IQ learning curve much quicker than someone with a purely athletics background. He's coming at it from a different angle - he has to adapt his footy instincts rather than develop them from scratch.

Like the 2016 Dogs?
Yep, except that we're also the reigning premier so we've proven we have the goods.

I think we're a massively better chance of winning the flag if we start the finals from 6th/7th with a fit, healthy & firing list... than if we stagger into the top 4 with a banged up side. Dogs have proven it can be done, and I reckon we're better placed than anyone to be the second side to do it. Our best is scary good, and every other side in the comp would be worried about us producing that against them in September.

So I'm all for making decisions now that give us the best chance of being at our best by the start of September, even if that means missing the top 4.

I think we just have to accept that we won't be making the top 4 this year, and instead we need to focus on getting our best 22 fit and firing for September whilst winning enough games to finish 5th/6th. Then from there, with a fit team and a little bit of luck, I'd back us to win all of our finals (especially if we get lucky with opponents and get to stay in Victoria). It's not the ideal path to a flag, but it's been done before (most recently the Dogs in 2016) and our poor start to the year has given us no other feasible option (we still have 5 games against top 4 teams to come in the H&A season! :eek:)

I certainly haven't ruled top four out just yet, lot of footy still to be played, and at the same stage last year would anybody seriously have predicted us to finish two games clear on top of the ladder.

I certainly haven't ruled top four out just yet, lot of footy still to be played, and at the same stage last year would anybody seriously have predicted us to finish two games clear on top of the ladder.
Agreed, the competition is far too tight to think that the top 4 is out of reach already. We're still a chance, but I like that we're managing the list the same way we did last year. Got to trust they know best how to give us our best crack at it when it matters.

Dogs have a pretty healthy list right now but I still think their lack of depth will be exposed in the second half of the season.

They're a challenge right now, and at marvel. I'll back C Scott to come up with a plan and also remind myself that we have a pretty good record against them.
Our record against them is insane. Only lost 3 of the last 23 against them. And all of those losses were at Docklands.

I don't think they're any realistic prospect of winning the flag this year, while we would still definitely have a shot if we could get our list fit.

Doesn't change the fact that knocking them off at this point, given how short-handed we are, would be a really meritorious win.

So glad MC has backed Mullin for a game. He’s physically ready and it will be great for his development, confidence and encouragement. Just have to accept he’s going to look a little awkward and will make mistakes.
I was a sceptic of early debuts watching Roughead monster MOC and Zuthrie back in 2017 (I think) but clearly was wrong. Jack Henry also had an early game and didn’t get a lot of it, but showed a little bit.

I did a ladder prediction thing earlier in the week where we lose the game against the Dogs.

We will need to win some 50-50s in the back half just to make the 8 if we drop it. That is assuming we get it done tomorrow.

Its, us, Freo, Essendon, and Adelaide essentially fighting for 7 and 8 on the ladder.

Good thing was we avoid interstate travel in my scenario and go on to win the flag by virtue of simply being too good at the G'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back