Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wasn't the argument. Meto said, and I quote 'kicks goals'. I would answer that with 'not enough to make it an outstanding attribute'.

Yeah that's fair enough, I missed that part of meto's post and I would agree with you - he is not what I would consider a goal kicking mid.

Does anyone know why Carlton got rid of him? Or is just the usual "free agent = must be best 22 for Geelong"?

No need to insult my intelligence with that last line. Anyway, as far as I can tell, Carlton are sick of Robinson getting into trouble off field and the incident with Garlett was the straw that broke the camel's back. Could be wrong, but that is my recollection.

Crap! Flake, since when?

ROBINSON.jpg

Since this altercation earlier this year.

Genuine question: who initiated the pick swap, Geelong or Adelaide?

If it was Geelong then reasonable to assume you have your eye on someone who should be there at 10 but not at 14.

I got the impression from our list manager, David Noble that we (Adelaide) initiated the swap to get back a second round pick (which we had traded away). Noble also said 10 or 14 won't make much difference to us, so I'm guessing we will be picking a mid as there are plenty in the top 15 (or a KPD no-one else rates!).

Has Wells said whether the pick swap was his idea?
Geelong asked about 1/2 a dozen clubs at the start of trade week if they would be interested in a deal like that.
So they would have sewn the seed.
And the deal was only agreed upon at the very last minute when they knew where all the picks would be etc.

All the more reason to pick him up Lappin would think... It's not about likes or dislikes, that's the Hawthorn attitude.
It's what's going to make us win?
I agree Robinson can play, but if Carlton under Mick Malthouse couldn't reform his bad-attitude what makes you think Geelong can? It's one thing to have some skill, but he needs to fit into our culture too. Think Justin Murphy, the guy could play no doubt, but drafting him did more harm than good. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but if Robinson ends up in the hoops I would be very surprised given the type of people Balme, Cook, Wells, & Scott are. I do see him playing for GWS or the GCS in the role you're suggesting he plays at Geelong though. He will find another club, but I don't think it will be Geelong. But who knows, they way things have gone lately anything's possible.

I agree Robinson can play, but if Carlton under Mick Malthouse couldn't reform his bad-attitude what makes you think Geelong can? It's one thing to have some skill, but he needs to fit into our culture too. Think Justin Murphy, the guy could play no doubt, but drafting him did more harm than good. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but if Robinson ends up in the hoops I would be very surprised given the type of people Balme, Cook, Wells, & Scott are. I do see him playing for GWS or the GCS in the role you're suggesting he plays at Geelong though.

Forget the undersell attempt, word is Hawthorn!..... Imagine him and Lewis, that's how they think.

Forget the undersell attempt, word is Hawthorn!..... Imagine him and Lewis, that's how they think.

No offence Meto, but with the Hawthorn stuff lately you might be better served on the Conspiracies Board. They're just a football club, and as unpalatable as it is to admit, right now they're better than us. No shame in admitting it, and they won't progress until they start facing some harsh truths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence Meto, but with the Hawthorn stuff lately you might be better served on the Conspiracies Board. They're just a football club, and as unpalatable as it is to admit, right now they're better than us. No shame in admitting it, and they won't progress until they start facing some harsh truths.

Don't you mean us facing truths?.....anyhow I just thought I'd throw MR in the ring.

Yes. Definitely us. All of us.

I don't think Robinson is beyond consideration. But I think he's not good enough as a footballer, and far too unstable off the field to merit chasing.

Last say from me, you'll be glad!......at 25 years, he's now at the best time of his footy life, his next 4 years.

Zero chance? I think there is zero chance of him being 1 now. Petricca is just to dominant now.

Why your right about how often etc , but it seems more and more the 200+ guys slip a bit due to them taking longer.. The thing is he considers himself more a forward than a ruck. I doubt we would take him now , be one hell of talent to pass up I agree...but how many talls can we carry.

Has been described as a better version of Joe Daniher. You might be right though, Grundy slid.

That's not exactly what may Saints fans have said. They said he got absolutely towelled by Cloke and lost all confidence down back because of that. Before then he had been playing well.

That means the onus was perhaps on the StKilda coaches for first off playing someone who is not renowned for being a powerful unit and playing him on one of the most powerful units! On top of that they had him play on Cloke for pretty much the entire match ... so that just goes to show that even other coaching panels have NFI when it comes to how they handle players and how sometimes bad situations are exacerbated over the course of many games due to confidence etc.

If he played down back with the Cats (I don't think he will). He would not be playing on the Clokes etc of the world. He doesn't have the strength for it.

I have read much about his lack of defensive prowess etc and how he got "toweled up" back there. However, I would be interested to see how in our system with Domsy, HT, Boris, Bews, Thurlow and Mackie he would fit in. Not saying id expected him to start Rd 1 back there but with time perhaps it's something that could develop. He has the size, speed and mobility to be a Domsy incumbent replacement. Just needs the confidence and time doing it.

Cant hurt to try it given that Hammer is gone and Kolo has not played a game yet. That and the fact you'd expect Clarke to get first dibs on the #2 KPF next to Hawk. And nothing to say he could not swing forward at times too.

Go Catters

Yes. Definitely us. All of us.

I don't think Robinson is beyond consideration. But I think he's not good enough as a footballer, and far too unstable off the field to merit chasing.

Agreed. his playing could get better with a increase in the talent around him - better leadership group etc - but I fear that the intrinsic DH in him would overtake again and it would just en dup hurting the club more than helping. Its one thing to have an enforcer type player - Mooney , Lewis etc, but its another altogether to have them in control… see Mooney and Lewis again….

Go Catters

Agreed. his playing could get better with a increase in the talent around him - better leadership group etc - but I fear that the intrinsic DH in him would overtake again and it would just en dup hurting the club more than helping. Its one thing to have an enforcer type player - Mooney , Lewis etc, but its another altogether to have them in control… see Mooney and Lewis again….

Go Catters

Pretty much. Even then, the players we describe as 'enforcers' now - Mooney and Lewis - really aren't at all. Their version of physical football now would have been laughed at 20 years ago. It's just the game has become so clean it seems something untoward. It really isn't.

The only benefit I could see in adding Robinson to the club is that he would take the focus off Johnson as being the most likely to get suspended for acts of stupidity and would gives the fans someone else to complain about when he misses repeated games for repeated suspensions.

Surely there are better mature mids to go after then Robinson.
Mr Expendable.
We only need him vs Freo and the Hawks.

Last edited:
I want him for the likes of your bloke Cowan, I've a big fan of Josh, but I don't want him beaten up and concussed in his first senior games of 2015, we really need protective muscle that can contribute as well, ....seriously worth gold and Mitch can bring that!

I'll tell you something I've yet to admit, before supporting the Cats I barracked for the Hawks, I know their mentality, it begins with physical intimidation and also ends there, all the classy stuff is between the bookends.
Scott knows that this is what is equally as important as the skill component coming from Leigh Matthews Brisbane. And who did Leigh play for?
Oh dear :(
Did you need counselling, meto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back