Autopsy Geelong defeat Adelaide by 39 points

Remove this Banner Ad

It was great to see Selwood not tagged (at least initially). He is such a smart player, and showed that by cutting up the Adelaide team.

Really hoping that Menzal (injured/tired), Cowan, Vardy and Cockatoo can have solid years in 2016. And I have not even mentioned Gregson and Walker. All these guys played a role today.

Then there are are your 22 to 24 olds so much real potential on show in this game. Guthrie being my favorite Geelong player I really think he is going to hit elite level next year.

If you end up with half the players your supposed to get in the off-season , it is going to be a very exciting year in 2016.

Competition is so much better with sides like Geelong playing a brand of attacking football that they are well known for.

Yep but he stops the Crows getting theirs ;) and often they don't pay those gangbangy tackles as a tackle you know where everyone jumps in with 5 island salad dressing.
I see you have already preempted there Boobie.

Well played sir.
owens_tips_hat.jpg

Last edited:

It was great to see Selwood not tagged (at least initially). He is such a smart player, and showed that by cutting up the Adelaide team.

Really hoping that Menzal (injured/tired), Cowan, Vardy and Cockatoo can have solid years in 2016. And I have not even mentioned Gregson and Walker. All these guys played a role today.

Then there are are your 22 to 24 olds so much real potential on show in this game. Guthrie being my favorite Geelong player I really think he is going to hit elite level next year.

If you end up with half the players your supposed to get in the off-season , it is going to be a very exciting year in 2016.

Competition is so much better with sides like Geelong playing a brand of attacking football that they are well known for.
Great post, DZ! :thumbsu:
Thanks!

Fantastic day, couldn't have hoped for better. So proud of the Club for continuing the ethics of a great culture put in place by Costa and Cook.
Like every true Geelong heart I cried and laughed....urged our legends on to make their last marks on a ground they've lit up for so long.
Cheerio boys, thanks for putting your weary bones on the line.

Nuthin' left to do now but barrack against the Dawks, and dream of what could have been.
Oh, and spend the grand the mighty catters got us in the pub footy tips.

Quick question - was Menzel injured today ?

saw that Menzel had only small numbers before subbed . listening to radio so bit hard to understand if injured or just beaten on the day.

Beaten on the day, plus I'm sure him getting a half was planned (probably why the most unlikely choice of Walker as the sub). Struggled to get near it but he's obviously still getting used to senior footy again.

Had to laugh today when Bluey McGrath recounted a moment on K-Rock when Stevie was playing in the VFL: "he'd kicked about 4 or 5 goals til quarter time and when the siren went he brought the group together just before the coaches got there and said "alright boys it looks like I might kick 20 goals today"" :D

There will never be another player like him :(

Lovely vibe to the game all the way through, Geelong as a club and community turned it on for the three retirees, as it should be. And the freedom with which the game was played for the majority was lovely to watch, they should play like that more often. I don know if it was hard to maintain that intensity but it came off as effortless, boundless enthusiasm sometimes.

And for the last time this year, some random thoughts ...
  • Mackie had his best game in forever, vintage stuff from the Mackeral! Long bombing goals, great marks, so many disposals, leadership where needed - where did this come from?! A way to send off his mates? Whatever it was, I loved it.
  • Message to Jake Kolodjashnij: please sign. PLEASE. I'm not above begging. Our defensive unit have so much still to teach you. There's not a better unit to learn off anywhere else, I guarantee it.
  • Cam G and Blitz teamed up well with George, I hope this is a long lasting trio. GHS is finally getting his place in the team now, happy for him. Add in Mitch and Cadds and we're golden.
  • Selsy played his best game in so long, why the hell did the Crows not send someone to do a blanket job on him? Maybe they don't believe in that way of shutting a player down. Well, thank you Mr Camporeale, because he was great to watch. If only other AFL coaches decided to do the same.
  • Was that the most players from the 2009 Draft in the same AFL team we've had in a while? 75%! Vards looked the best and Josh was a happy surprise. If I had any say in it he wouldn't be going anywhere. A defensively-minded midfielder, desperately needed. Menz suffered from the comedown he was always going to have after the buildup and celebrations for his comeback to AFL, can hardly begrudge the boy that. Still, another AFL game! YAY!
  • A major decrease in dodgy hand passes, stupid decisions, flubs in the defensive 50. Made for a much more enjoyable spectacle.
  • Can see why they decided to stick with Jimmy, he was great today.
  • Scoreline was very similar to that of the 2011 GF (119-80). I always feel happy when we get to emulate that, I must be getting overly sentimental in my old age.
  • Had to stand up and give a standing ovation in my living room whenever Stokesy or SJ kicked a goal, like an idiot. it was that crowd man, I could feel the love seeping through the television. So exciting.
  • Battle of the Stevens: while Mots tried to do some magical things, his overall game was very solid and he never went missing for too long. Happy he's signed up again, I think this game was enough evidence to justify whatever the new deal is paying him. BUT: was it ever in doubt that SJ would attempt to try every trick he'd ever thought of today? The goal when he was supine, the left footed torp, the snaps, the marking! It was entertaining to watch, the last true personality in the AFL left. So to you SJ, go the spoils of being the most Steven to Steven in the history of the game. I'll miss you.
  • Strange that even though we're not playing finals, this is the happiest we've finished off a year since 2011. If Steve Hocking's remarks are anything to go by, next year is the start of something new. I can't wait.
So many happy tears
happiness2.gif
Well said again MP. Can see why I never skip your posts.

Sadly the last battle of the Stevens today. End of an era.

My day is complete, now that MoneyPenny has posted :hearts: Always look forward to your review game posts :thumbsu: :rainbow:

I've read your post now MP + as always, you lived up to expectations. It's always wonderful to read inspiring, uplifting posts. Thanks to you, I've gone from

pinkie-tears.gif

to

MziKDo6gO7x8A.gif

Can't tell you what a kick I get from your observations, so you deserve a unicorn

Ksc5u4FuRjzWM.gif
Haha love it. Unicorns in a football thread, living on the edge HK ;)

Last edited:
Dangerfield doesn't want to jeopardise his new deal ;)
And Cowan is kinda handy too.
I didn't like our boys tackling Danger. Kept thinking "stop, you could hurt our new recruit"

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had to laugh today when Bluey McGrath recounted a moment on K-Rock when Stevie was playing in the VFL: "he'd kicked about 4 or 5 goals til quarter time and when the siren went he brought the group together just before the coaches got there and said "alright boys it looks like I might kick 20 goals today"" :D

There will never be another player like him :(
I heard him tell that story too. Got a few looks when I LOL'd just a bit too loudly :oops:

Plenty of positives today - Geelong basically toyed with Adelaide in that last qtr

However looking at next year - i was dissappointed with Motlops game today - this cameo role hes allowed to play and get away with- and i swear at one stage of the game - he didnt touch the ball for about 30 minutes

I read somewhere last week - might have been on the Collingwood boards review of the Geelong game - where he was labelled as a bit of a soft front runner type

I dont care what his stats were this year ( you can twist any stats to win any arguement) he isnt a patch on his 2013 season - his body shape the whole lot . If he has re- signed -then Geelong should be as hard and tough on him as they like - because this cameo stuff he dishes up - like today - like the game against WCE in Perth - or last weeks game against the Pies - or any quality opponent wont stack up

If Geelong are going to improve next year Motlop cant - and shouldnt be allowed to just play a cameo role

Enough with the Mr. America lads!

381190-mcguire.jpg

But then the Sydney game, for Selwood's 250th was a massive game!

I'm actually wondering if today's game was a case of Crows not having much to play for + we just wanted it badly for our retiring veterans ???
Crows were playing for a home final, l think there all show no go away from home just another average team with a superstar thats about to pack his bags:p

Career Bests vs Crows:

Cockatoo - Kicks (9)
Cowan - Kicks (6), Handballs (8), Disposals (14), Goals (1), Fantasy (49).
Gregson - Handballs (8).
Guthrie - Kicks (13), Disposals (33), Fantasy (124).
Kolodjashnij - Tackles (4).
Mackie - Disposals (34), Fantasy (144).
Vardy - Handballs (8), Marks (8), Tackles (4).

Fantastic day, couldn't have hoped for better. So proud of the Club for continuing the ethics of a great culture put in place by Costa and Cook.
Like every true Geelong heart I cried and laughed....urged our legends on to make their last marks on a ground they've lit up for so long.
Cheerio boys, thanks for putting your weary bones on the line.

Nuthin' left to do now but barrack against the Dawks, and dream of what could have been.
Oh, and spend the grand the mighty catters got us in the pub footy tips.
woohoo! Congrats Sam!! :D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back