Mega Thread General Pre-Season Discussion, News and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The biggest area Drex needed to improve on was was defensive 50 game.
Well, other than his ruckwork. You know, the thing he's employed to do. He played 5 games without Pyke

Round 8: 24 hitouts vs Hale (24) and McEvoy (30)
Round 9: 26 hitouts vs Ryder (17) and Bellchambers (29).
Round 11: 18 hitouts vs Simpson (21) and McIntosh (28)
Round 12: 26 hitouts vs Smith (39)
Round 13: 28 hitouts vs Lobbe (40)

We were smashed in the hitout totals in each game, regardless of if the opposition had 1 ruckman or 2. However it would be helpful if we had a frame of reference, for example if Derickx was then dropped and we played a different ruckman against the same players. Wait, we do have that:

Round 19: Pyke 49 hitouts vs Ryder (28) and Bellchambers (13). Pretty stark comparison to Round 9.
Round 20: Pyke 27 hitouts vs Lobbe (34). Lobbe had 6 disposals, compared to 21 in the game against Derickx.
Grand Final: Pyke 32 hitouts vs Hale (10) and McEvoy (14). Stark contrast to Round 8.

Fair enough.

HO as a flat stat doesn't mean a great deal to me these days. We played Sandilands and coughed up a world record differential early in the season and still beat them comfortably - was it 61 HO he had that day?

Similarly Pyke's stat in the GF you posted says it all really.

Derickx as a def/ruck makes so much sence to me. Firstly it allows us to play two genuine rucks again. Three if you count tippo. Secondly it fills a massive hole on our list. The ability to cover the loss of ted or reg should either of them go down. He is big enough to at least hold his own in a one on one with a cloke/hawkins type. Would probably get beat more often than not but id put him on those guys before a laidler/rampe.

Derickx as a def/ruck makes so much sence to me. Firstly it allows us to play two genuine rucks again. Three if you count tippo. Secondly it fills a massive hole on our list. The ability to cover the loss of ted or reg should either of them go down. He is big enough to at least hold his own in a one on one with a cloke/hawkins type. Would probably get beat more often than not but id put him on those guys before a laidler/rampe.

Im pretty confident of playing rampe on most size forwards

Im pretty confident of playing rampe on most size forwards
I know what u mean but Cloke? Bellchambers/Daniher/Carlisle? Hale/Roughy? These are guys Derickx could physically go with. As for subtle pushes, holds or reading the play, filling a hole or intercept marking etc... That he may need sum work on over Rampe (who I think is a beauty in his game awareness & playing above/below his size).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what u mean but Cloke? Bellchambers/Daniher/Carlisle? Hale/Roughy? These are guys Derickx could physically go with. As for subtle pushes, holds or reading the play, filling a hole or intercept marking etc... That he may need sum work on over Rampe (who I think is a beauty in his game awareness & playing above/below his size).

Summed up beautifully. He has the whole pre season to work on his defensive side and he could be a handy asset.

I thought Derickx looked more impressive than those stats above, but those numbers are hideous. Give Nankervis a run. I think Derickx needs to be depth only at best.

And that's exactly what he is Pyke was out injured for 6? weeks and Derickx solo rucked 90% of games till his body broke down.

Admirable effort really.

The only concern i have of derickxxx if he was moved back would be that he would be virtually out of the contest as soon as the ball is spoiled and he lacks the skill level to be a decent disposer of the footy. Rampe 's kicking has improved out of sight since he came to the club snd he can hurt teams with his rebounding

The only concern i have of derickxxx if he was moved back would be that he would be virtually out of the contest as soon as the ball is spoiled and he lacks the skill level to be a decent disposer of the footy. Rampe 's kicking has improved out of sight since he came to the club snd he can hurt teams with his rebounding

This is the real year for Rampe.

We all know it takes mortal players 50 games or so before they "get it" and have built the innate game fitness.

I truly believed Rampe was ahead of the curve for much of his development and whilst not in the AJ freak class was above average.

If the natural course of events follow we should see him have a truly fantastic year and come on in leaps and bounds.

Hope I am right because he seems a super kid with a lot of spark and has that bit of mongrel about him. I would love to see him and Jones full time back there.

I hope not.

He's likely being taught how to do it just out of precaution. In case he gets dragged down there by a Paddy Ryder or some such smart ruckman during a game.

I recall Pyke had some training as a tall defender earlier in his career and he was never going to be used as such.

This is the real year for Rampe.

We all know it takes mortal players 50 games or so before they "get it" and have built the innate game fitness.

I truly believed Rampe was ahead of the curve for much of his development and whilst not in the AJ freak class was above average.

If the natural course of events follow we should see him have a truly fantastic year and come on in leaps and bounds.

Hope I am right because he seems a super kid with a lot of spark and has that bit of mongrel about him. I would love to see him and Jones full time back there.

Imo rampe is the perfect replacement for mal. Hes couragous, can read the play and has a booming kick

Imo rampe is the perfect replacement for mal. Hes couragous, can read the play and has a booming kick
Yep. Agreed. And we're replacing the Ned Kelly Hipster beard with a metro hipster mo. While not as manly still just as fashionable at the MOment.......

here all week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back