News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm reading about new rules which may come in at Madrid 1000 event. At least for the mens doubles. New rule will be no 90 seconds sit down after first two games, however there will be an extended sit down after the first set. If point is less than three shots the next point the shock clock goes to 15 seconds. The tennis chiefs want to speed up the game.

The WTA Finals are in Saudi Arabia.

Big prize money, and a lot of spin.

I dont mind, as long as they are honest. Say the money was too good to turn around, and not some bull about moving the game to new areas or improving womens relations in the country. And that they protect their players.

It is a lot of new money, which is what the WTA needs.

Sounds like Storm has ruptured her achilies in BJK Cup practice. Awful news as she would of been a medal hope

This was coming for a while

Garbiñe Muguruza has retired. 2 time Grand Slam champion. At her best, she was scary good, beating Serena at the French when Serena was untouchable. In hindsight, she should have won the 2020 Aus Open.

She was never the same after Covid era.

Her first title was down here in Hobart as a Qualie. She just looked like a star on her way to that title

Well, if I take anything from golf, splitting of the big stars across multiple tours will damage the sport outside the majors but make the majors even more important. As long as the solution has everyone playing on the same tour, that's the best result.

But the pre-AO swing looks f*****. And AO will probably move a week later if the Saudi Masters at the start of the year goes ahead.
Tbh we've already had Opens start at that time before without any problem - bigger crowds than starting in the second week of Jan from memory

Could see the schedule looking like
29 Dec - Saudi
6 Jan - United Cup/Bris
13 Jan - Adelaide
19 Jan - AO

Would all be in school holiday zone etc

2nd week is hurt a bit by it. And Saudi Arabia to Australia is a long freaking way

Rumours are that 2027 is now being looked at for a first week Saudi event. All I know is I won't be watching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back