ATP/WTA Australian Summer of Tennis 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Here we are again. Novak and Iga are the world number 1 with Novak having the added benefit of being a defending champ at the Aus Open. But all that is several weeks away. first, we have the warm up tournaments.

United Cup
Venue: Perth – RAC Arena, Sydney – Ken Rosewall Arena
Group Stage – 29 December 2023 to 5 January 2024
Finals – 6 to 7 January 2024,
Category: ATP / WTA international mixed team competition

Brisbane International
31 December 2023 to 7 January 2024
Venue: Queensland Tennis Centre, Brisbane
Category: WTA 500 / ATP 250
Draw size: WTA – 48 singles / 24 doubles; ATP – 32 singles, 24 doubles

Canberra International
31 December 2023 to 6 January 2024
Venue: Canberra Tennis Centre, Canberra
Category: ATP Challenger 125 / WTA 125
Draw size: ATP – 32 singles, 16 doubles; WTA – 32 singles, 16 doubles

Adelaide International
8-13 January 2024
Venue: The Drive, Adelaide
Category: WTA 500 / ATP 250
Draw size: WTA – 32 singles, 16 doubles; ATP – 28 singles, 24 doubles

Hobart International
8-13 January 2024
Venue: Domain Tennis Centre, Hobart
Category: WTA 250
Draw size: 32 singles, 16 doubles

Great to see the Brisbane International back. Canberra now a 125K womens event and the Adelaide international is cut to just the 1 tournament this year. We are almost back to where we were before all the changes. Indeed, the United Cup is the Hopman Cup, but with actual points to be won. It is now just the 1 single tie for men and women and a mixed doubles. Should create less dead matches between mismatched opponents. The Kooyong Classic is still a thing as well, not included in the above. I couldnt care less about that TBH.

Internationally, We have the Auckland double (WTA/ATP over 2 weeks) and the Hong Kong open for the men in the first week. Out of the top 10, only Coco Gauff is playing overseas, so most eyes will be on Aus.

I will go through draws a bit later on. I have seen Hobart(my local), and well, it is a bit poor. Mertens, Collins, Sloane and Linda Noskova are the only interesting players for mine. better than last year but I swear the quality has dropped from the pre-covid years.

This very well be the last year that our summer looks like this with potential Saudi Arabia changes coming.

I'm sure we will hear something in January.

Well done Bobbi for starting up the thread.
I'm off to the United Cup in Perth on the Saturday to watch Poland v IDK who. They didn't have an opponent at time of booking but I don't care. I'm just looking forward to watching some live tennis. Price was pretty reasonable and it starts at 5.30pm.

I am confused by the fact that Thiem and Raducanu are scheduled for Qualies for the AO

I get it, there is a high chance both will make the cut to the main draw (Their rankings are in the low 100's) but kinda think both should get WC's regardless. Both are still big names. Would love Raducanu in Hobart for example. (if she is fit)

I will get around to the entry lists and previews in the next day or so.

I am confused by the fact that Thiem and Raducanu are scheduled for Qualies for the AO

I get it, there is a high chance both will make the cut to the main draw (Their rankings are in the low 100's) but kinda think both should get WC's regardless. Both are still big names. Would love Raducanu in Hobart for example. (if she is fit)

I will get around to the entry lists and previews in the next day or so.

Apart from marketing reasons why should Radacanu get a WC? Give me any reason. Barely won a match since the US Open fluke.

Apart from marketing reasons why should Radacanu get a WC? Give me any reason. Barely won a match since the US Open fluke.
because of her US Open fluke.

She is a grand slam champion and a recent one at that. She is "only" ranked that high because of injury. (and poor form)

because of her US Open fluke.

She is a grand slam champion and a recent one at that. She is "only" ranked that high because of injury. (and poor form)

It’s purely poor form. Make her qualify and show something before being gifted Wildcards

Wow I actually agree for once. Make her qualify, I honestly don’t think she has enough star power to justify taking an Aussie spot

Thiem will get in directly since he’s next in

Wow I actually agree for once. Make her qualify, I honestly don’t think she has enough star power to justify taking an Aussie spot

Thiem will get in directly since he’s next in

Bingo. Thiem will get in anyway but I'm so over Radacanu being gifted WC’s like they are confetti

Pumped for the summer of tennis, ive missed it. Novak for mine will win again, the womens like always , throw a raffle for the winner, could be any number of about 10 players or a total outsider no one has heard of.

My first bout of Covid happened on X-Mas day.....

Anyway,

United Cup
29 December 2023 – 7 January 2024 (Sydney- Group Stage and Finals, Perth - Group Stage and 1/4 finals)

The biggest headliner this summer. It will feature nine of the world’s Top 20 men, including Djokovic, Tsitsipas and Zverev plus Five of the world’s Top 10 women will compete, including Swiatek. It has a different format, so most ties should be fairly balanced as it is only 1 tie for each man and women.

Perth Teams

Group A

Poland
Spain
Brazil

Group C
United States
Great Britain
Australia

Group E
Czech Republic
China
Serbia​
SYDNEY

Group B

Greece
Canada
Chile

Group D
France
Italy
Germany

Group F
Croatia
Netherlands
Norway​

I won't bother listing all the players. click the link above.

Just think most of the big players are here. It also means Perth gets both Novak and Swiatek, the 2 number 1's. Australia has Alex and Aja with Millman providing back-up.

Last year, the teams from Sydney had the advantage of playing in the same city the whole time. Think the Greeks will be the team to beat because of that. Stefo and Sakkari are due to win something for Greece eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane International
(WTA 500 - ATP 250)
31 December 2023–7 January 2024

The return of an old favourite. The Brisbane International was a fantastic event in the 2010s and I am glad it is back. it always had a very good field and was highly competitive. Just look at some of the former winners. Murray, Serena, Azarenka and of course Federer.

Again, there is a very good list of players scheduled to play here. A lot of Russians.

Player (WTA)RankPlayer (ATP)Rank
Aryna Sabalenka2Holger Rune8
Elena Rybakina4Grigor Dimitrov14
Jeļena Ostapenko13Ben Shelton17
Liudmila Samsonova16Ugo Humbert20
Daria Kasatkina18Sebastian Korda24
Veronika Kudermetova19Sebastián Báez28
Ekaterina Alexandrova21Tomás Martín Etcheverry30
Victoria Azarenka22Aslan Karatsev35

Not listed above is the return of Rafa Nadal. Hopefully, he can get through it without injury. The guy deserves a farewell tour. Another big-name player returning after 18 months and a baby is Osaka. We forget how big of a name she is with 4 Grand Slam titles and mainstream attention. If she returns with the right frame of mind and is well-rested, then she could easily win in Melbourne again. She is that sort of player.

Always tough to predict a winner of the first week but Brisbane has always been a good form guide. Probably the best form guide of the summer. Korda has big points to defend and will need a good start. Likewise Shelton. I will go for those 2 in the final. For the girls, Sabalenka feels like the sort of player to win this.

Adelaide International
WTA 500 - ATP 250
8–13 January 2024

Player (ATP)RankPlayer (WTA)Rank
Tommy Paul13Elena Rybakina4
Nicolás Jarry19Jessica Pegula5
Ugo Humbert20Markéta Vondroušová7
Tallon Griekspoor23Karolína Muchová (OUT)8
Sebastian Korda24Barbora Krejčíková10
Lorenzo Musetti27Beatriz Haddad Maia11
Sebastián Báez28Madison Keys12
Tomás Martín Etcheverry30Jeļena Ostapenko13

Just like the old Sydney tournament, the WTA field is stacked while the ATP is not too bad surprisingly. I have seen worse. thankfully, just the one tournament this year for Adelaide.

WC's for Kerber and Ajla Tomljanović and one for Kokk, who always seems to do something amazing at his home tournament. Korda is the defending runner-up of Adelaide 1. I doubt Muchova will play here, as she has already withdrawn from Brisbane.

Last edited:
Hobart International
WTA 250
8–13 January 2024

PlayerRank
Elise Mertens29
Emma Navarro32
Marie Bouzková34
Wang Xinyu36
Zhu Lin37
Linda Nosková41
Martina Trevisan42
Varvara Gracheva43

My home tournament. it is not super bad, but not great. Still, we have Collins and Stephens while Mertens will look to rediscover her singles form at a tournament where she has done very well in the past. As always with the 2nd week, WCs will probably be given out late and to Aussies who have WC's for the Aus open. The defending champ, Lauren Davis, withdrew with injury in mid-December, which is a shame.

Cannot wait for United Cup to start tomorrow haven’t seen the smaller tournaments for ages bc I don’t have streams to watch them now but at least I get to watch all the ones leading to AO. Wish I could go to AO too but no one will go still but seems it’s Rafa’s last year I’m trying to find a way in which I can go…no luck so far!

What a start to the summer. Seyboth Wild serves an ace that is 6 inches long on the very first point and the automatic line calling doesn't call it out. Fokina wanted to see the replay and they couldn't provide it. It is either not working or some idiot didn't turn it on to start with. Bit of an issue.

What a shock Mr boring no weapons Di Minaur getting trounced

Drummond

What a surprise, lukeParkersno1 think 6-4 is getting trounced

On an actual tennis notice, the courts and balls seem even slower this year. Not great for Alex

Remove this Banner Ad

Back