Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Noskova in 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noskova in 3

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts exactly, its lost its lustre, especially down here in Australia. Media is trying to hype up the tournament but its fallen flat on everyone except the die hards
What are you on about? It’s been unusual, sure, but there’s been some terrific match’s and a lot of drama. And while the women’s side is a mess (when is it not), the men’s seeds have held and we’re still trending towards a 1v4 and 2v3 men’s semis.

I guess kids want to play tennis in those countries and there are a lot of courts and funds available. In Australia, its expensive and kids seem want to play other sports or not interested. I couldn't imagine parents letting their children go to Spain to train etc like they do in Europe and Russia. Most leave home by 14 to train elsewhere.

My thoughts exactly, its lost its lustre, especially down here in Australia. Media is trying to hype up the tournament but its fallen flat on everyone except the die hards

If the Eastern Europeans are currently too good, the rest of the World needs to get better

Media is trying to hype up the tournament but its fallen flat on everyone except the die hards
They are going to have a million people attend the tournament...maybe it's fallen flat for you personally, but there is plenty of interest looking at attendance and social media reach, tv and streaming ratings can be judged once the tournament is complete.

Of course ratings won't match the years of ash Barty winning or a Rafa and Federer final, but it's hardly fallen flat.

Tennis is one of the hardest sports in the world to reach the top and in Australia there are so many sports to compete with in regards to attracting young people to the game.

Last edited:
When did tennis which used to be a world game become essentially now an eastern European sport?

Sweden needs more representation, loved the 80's and 90's era

And also we need a playboy player to emerge and become like Marat Safin and have a players box full of babes!

Instead we're stuck with Novak and Goran Ivanisivich :p

Sweden needs more representation, loved the 80's and 90's era

And also we need a playboy player to emerge and become like Marat Safin and have a players box full of babes!

Instead we're stuck with Novak and Goran Ivanisivich :p

*Ivanišević

They are going to have a million people attend the tournament...maybe it's fallen flat for you personally, but there is plenty of interest looking at attendance and social media reach, tv and streaming ratings can be judged once the tournament is complete.
whilst i mostly agree with you, this bit falls a bit short for me.

i would say a very large amount that go along to the aus open, don't have a huge interest in the sport. its very much become the social event of the summer. most interest drops off after it's over.

the amount of times i've heard "i've never heard of x", or "is this player any good?", has been ridiculous. and then the amount of people i've met who have gone along on a ground pass, not for the tennis, but its cuz their mates are going, and, as i said at the start, its become the social event of the summer.

i would say a very large amount that go along to the aus open, don't have a huge interest in the sport. its very much become the social event of the summer. most interest drops off after it's over.

the amount of times i've heard "i've never heard of x", or "is this player any good?", has been ridiculous. and then the amount of people i've met who have gone along on a ground pass, not for the tennis, but its cuz their mates are going, and, as i said at the start, its become the social event of the summer.
sorry guys, you can't watch the Australian open because you don't follow it all year long, like me!! im a REAL fan you are all FAKE fans.

Novak fans are overjoyed. Would have beaten him on RLA in a Day match so I don’t blame them.
Watching Shelton up close yesterday

He's mentally not close to elite level

Constantly referring to his coaches/box and questioning everything

I was surprised he was this way. Until he understands the mental requirements of elite sport he'll just be another "could be"

sorry guys, you can't watch the Australian open because you don't follow it all year long, like me!! im a REAL fan you are all FAKE fans.
we're talking about tennis in australia in general, as a whole, not one single tournament. attendances are massive to the oz open, but i stand by what i said in that its become the social event of the summer. think, portsea polo.

some of the busiest spots at the aus open are the bars, that have not much of a view of any screens. the peroni bar, the aperol bar, the cc bar, in grand slam oval, are all packed every day, and if you walk in there, no one is having any form of interest on the tennis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh what?

You know John McEnroe, who follows the sport and is commentating the sport, actually didn’t know some of the players from the first round. Doesn’t it say more that he doesn’t do research on these players / doesn’t have the knowledge of them? Do you consider him just here for the “social event” too?

Agree. People are going just to hang out in the bars.

They're not there for the tennis.

I don’t really follow Tennis these days … BUT it has been interesting reading the posts in here over the last few days

I use to watch it all year around until they changed it to streaming services lol half the reason why I got Fox was for tennis it’s stupid why everything has to be on streams now…like I can’t afford to pay a streaming service so I miss out now

I use to watch it all year around until they changed it to streaming services lol half the reason why I got Fox was for tennis it’s stupid why everything has to be on streams now…like I can’t afford to pay a streaming service so I miss out now

I refuse to support the streaming service. Not going to pay to watch Djokovic win.

You need to ask Mobbs for a pay rise 🙃

Huh what?

You know John McEnroe, who follows the sport and is commentating the sport, actually didn’t know some of the players from the first round. Doesn’t it say more that he doesn’t do research on these players / doesn’t have the knowledge of them? Do you consider him just here for the “social event” too?
im not talking about the first rounders, im going as deep as the 3rd round players, some of the top 30 seed players.

i've got 3 separate networks of friends who have all gone just to be social.

if you think the interest in tennis in australia is truly there, and big, then events like kooyong, adelaide, any cup ties, should be selling out, and they arent. we get tennis in this country for all of collectively 2 months of the year, and if the interest was there, the numbers would be there.

Yeah, it was nice when most of the decent tournaments were on Kayo/Fox. Timezones make it hard too, not many follow the tennis as a whole because of those reasons.

im not talking about the first rounders, im going as deep as the 3rd round players, some of the top 30 seed players.

i've got 3 separate networks of friends who have all gone just to be social.

if you think the interest in tennis in australia is truly there, and big, then events like kooyong, adelaide, any cup ties, should be selling out, and they arent. we get tennis in this country for all of collectively 2 months of the year, and if the interest was there, the numbers would be there.
I'm not sure why it's an issue though. It's what the AO is designed for and it does it well. There was good crowds at the United Cup/Brisbane from what I saw this year, not sure about numbers though.

Back