Grand Slam Day 5 - Australian Open 2024

What match are you most looking forward to tonight?

• Kokk v Grigor

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Alja v Penko

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • RLA matches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MCA Matches

• Other

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Going to take a pass tonight (Sleep)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have fun Medvedev.

try and finish before 2am for everyone.

(in before a 4am finish)
He did not finish before 2am....

It was nearly 4am.

Anyway, "day 6" is here

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Well, this is an interesting night. Both Poppy and Thomo put up huge fights against last year's finalists. Both had great chances at set point, only lose the set in the resulting TB , Success for Storm Hunter and the full arrival of a 16-year-old on the WTA scene. There were many one-sided matches, but, outside Wozza and Tiofoe, no big names went out.

Tmw...It Kokk time...(hopefully) and then a #hereforahandshake moment between the Penko and Ajla. (ala they have beef)

Weather: 14C-21C. cloudy and windy. :cloud:🍃

Watch out for Tuesday next week. 34C

Rod Laver Arena
Day Session From 12pm
Swiatek [1] vs Collins
Alcaraz [2] vs Sonego
Night Session From 7pm
Rybakina [3] vs Blinkova
Medvedev [3] vs Ruusuvuori

Margaret Court Arena
Day session - From 12:00pm
Purcell :australia: vs Ruud [11]
Pegula [5] vs Burel
Night Session From 7pm
Rune [8] vs Cazaux
Azarenka [18] vs Tauson

John Cain Arena
From 11am
Zverev [6] vs Klein
Stephens vs Kasatkina [14]
NB 4pm
Dimitrov [13] vs Kokkinakis :australia:
NB 7PM
Ostapenko [11] vs Tomlajnovic :australia:

All Aussies eyes will be on the people's court, JCA. I am not sure how the Kokk will go bouncing back from an epic 5 setter but Grigors first match was also testing in the heat of the day. Still, Grrigor is a class above and should dispatch the Aussie in straight sets. I just don't trust Kokk backing up. The other game...
“Your behaviour is terrible, terrible!” “You’re the one to talk!” “You have zero respect, yes?” “The worst player on the tour.” .... Direct quotes from the handshake at Wimbledon in 2021. Both have downplayed the incident in press but I am hoping the crowd sticks around and does that JCA thing. I love beef.

Elsewhere, we have a number 1 vs a former finalist and feisty Collins. It was Collins who smashed Iga in that semi-final` back in 2022. I can't see it happening again. Iga is a much better player, Collins is not. I was hot on Tauson for a long time, but she hasn't progressed due to injury and form. Still has weapons, which make her dangerous against Azarenka. Maybe an upset.

Menswise....Medvedev gets the night match on his fav court. Ruusuvuori is talented but a mental midget, Carlos gets the day session, against someone who has beaten him in the past. It is a bit eh overall if I am honest,

Match of the day
Sumit Nagal vs Juncheng Shang
Why a match between people ranked 137 and 140. Well, it is midnight and I need bed. But I am here for the story. Nagal was the first Indian to win a match here was ages and first Indian to beat a seed since 1989. Even Sachin gave him congrats. Only had 900 Euros in his bank at one stage last year but has grafted his way from the top 500 to the above-ranked. Shang is an 18-year-old guy from China. That is all I need to say. The kid could be v.good. Match-wise, it might not be great but 2 billion people will check the score later..

Poll: :Later

Last edited:
I wish Iga was the night match and Rybakina the day match. But never mind. Hopefully the crowd won't get stuck into Medvedev. Hope Ailja is well rested as she did play doubles today and won.

Im actually really looking forward to Daria Kasatkina v Sloane Stephens....potential match of the day right there....could go 3 hours, could go straight sets either way. Daria is favourite but Sloane is such a dangerous player.
Just hope Iga destroys Collins. I really can't like Collins for some reason, and I'm not even a massive Iga fan.

Brutal for Poppy last night

goes up 40 - 0 to take third set and go 2-1 but lost the game and the set.

Shows you how big the mental side of it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back