"Get The F#!k Out The Way!"...It's Kobe Bryant and the Official Week 8 Thread!

Who had the truest quote about the Knicks last week?

• "We have a loser's mentality." -Phil Jackson

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • "There's a lot of arguing and cursing each other out after games." -Broussard's 'sources'

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • "We're all commited to the triangle and to this system." -Carmelo Anthony

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • "It's not that difficult. It's a triangle." -Dennis Rodman

Votes: 33 68.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They can land Rondo cheap is why. I can't see anyone offering much up for him now given he's almost a free agent.

Don't forget Dallas won a ring with a Rondo like player in Jason Kidd. A player who shot low % and was a pass first guard on the whole.

They obviously like that type of guard.

Kidd could space the floor far better with his 3 point ability. 133 makes in the championship season is decent. Rondo is ordinary not only from the field, but the line as well.

It's a good move by Dallas to try and maximise the tenure of Dirk but having said that I can see Dallas struggling in the short term due to my "too many chefs in the kitchen theory".
anigif_enhanced-buzz-6455-1361321960-1.gif

Say what you like about the Dirk Monta show they took the Spurs to 7 and something about that mix they created troubles the Spurs. This lineup could go either way in the short term imo.

Might've slipped, still a massive upgrade on what on our biggest issue: defence in the starting 5 and specifically defence at PG noting where we lack D in other starting positions. Rondo is a pretty good rebounder so helps there too.

Not sure if you think Wright provided much on the defensive end, but he didn't. A decent loss on O, sure, but pretty sure Rondo will make up for that. Look to see Parsons score a lot more on the break and also through his cutting. Now have a reliable (more like exceptional) passer that will be able to hit him more often.

Harris plays quite alot at SG already.

Calling the trade a fail on a 'what if' seems like overkill.

How many times has Dirk had a legitimate PG and C in the same team? Not many times I'll tell you. 2011 was one.

The 2011 squad was vastly superior defensively with Stevenson and Marion. Adding Rondo to this squad is nice, but it doesn't make them a championship contender.

Dallas are already ranked #1 in the league for PPG and Offensive Rating as a team. Adding Rondo to that will make them simply ridiculous on the offensive end.

Not sure how much losing Wright's extreme efficiency will affect them, though. Interested to see what he can do in a (assumedly) greater role in Boston.

Might've slipped, still a massive upgrade on what on our biggest issue: defence in the starting 5 and specifically defence at PG noting where we lack D in other starting positions. Rondo is a pretty good rebounder so helps there too.

Not sure if you think Wright provided much on the defensive end, but he didn't. A decent loss on O, sure, but pretty sure Rondo will make up for that. Look to see Parsons score a lot more on the break and also through his cutting. Now have a reliable (more like exceptional) passer that will be able to hit him more often.

Harris plays quite alot at SG already.

Calling the trade a fail on a 'what if' seems like overkill.

How many times has Dirk had a legitimate PG and C in the same team? Not many times I'll tell you. 2011 was one.

When did I call the trade a fail? :confused:

I said that it's a gamble - and it is. Your bench looks much weaker in the short term, and I'm not sure that Harris/Barea will be nearly as effective without Wright to play off.

Will Rondo rectify your bottom five defensive FG% and defensive rebounding while keeping your offence #1? Time will tell.

Good going Pels' D... never thought I'd say that :eek:

Our offense has had no energy at all, which is to be expected considering we were on a plane last night as the sun was rising lol

Also youve got the refs calling nothing for harden due to last nights game, even when holiday quite literally tackles him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talent wise its a definite upgrade, but whether the chemistry works is another thing. As peternorth has told us many a times with his 2004 and 2012 Lakers, sometimes too much talent isnt a good thing.

Dallas are already ranked #1 in the league for PPG and Offensive Rating as a team. Adding Rondo to that will make them simply ridiculous on the offensive end.
Why?.. One of their main offensive weapons is Monta in the PnR, I think I read he leads the league in pick and rolls. Rondo is a ball handler. You can't sit Rondo off the ball like you can a (insert almost any replacement level guard) and have Monta handle the ball in a PnR and expect teams to respect Rondo's outside jumper. Everything that is spoken about about Dallas' offense revolves around Monta with the ball, Tyson setting a screen and three shooters surrounding, will be interesting to see how they adapt now..

I'd argue Wright can be replaced by an athletic big man who can catch lobs due to Dirk's 'gravitational pull' but at the moment I can't see a replacement for him on their roster currently. I'll credit them for making this move and have to credit their offseason moves to be able to do a move like this. Got Nelson, Aminu and Jefferson on almost minimum deals, the latter two making it easier to say goodbye to Crowder. They may have got a higher rated talent or asset but I'm just not sure it was the right move for their team. Time will tell.

Every time I flick on a Pels game, Austin does something good.... Am I correct in saying the team didn't pick up his team option for next year?

Your observation is astute, Rivers during the last 12 months >>> draftee Rivers. From memory you're right, we didn't pick up his option, which I found surprising.

He's not the finished article, but he's a valuable 3rd guard. Doesn't turn it over much, gets after it on D. Shooting's still a problem, but it's improved.

Why?.. One of their main offensive weapons is Monta in the PnR, I think I read he leads the league in pick and rolls. Rondo is a ball handler. You can't sit Rondo off the ball like you can a (insert almost any replacement level guard) and have Monta handle the ball in a PnR and expect teams to respect Rondo's outside jumper. Everything that is spoken about about Dallas' offense revolves around Monta with the ball, Tyson setting a screen and three shooters surrounding, will be interesting to see how they adapt now.

I mean more from a versatility/options perspective. Allows them to run different line-ups and give teams different looks. Now they can do other things apart from just what you described above.

That being said, it might have been better to try and make a deal for a younger version of Nelson (nobody immediately comes to mind), or even a 3-and-D SG, and have Monta play as the psuedo PG. Still, Rondo is a smart player, Carlisle is a smart coach, and the Mavs are for the most part a team of smart players. They'll figure it out.

Still concerned about the Mavs' depth though. If the proposed deal goes through, their bench looks pretty thin in terms of actual quality:

C - Tyson Chandler
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
SF - Chandler Parson
SG - Monta Ellis
PG - Rajon Rondo
-----
C - Greg Smith
PF - Dwight Powell
PF - Charlie Villanueva
SF - Al-Farouq Aminu
SF - Richard Jefferson
SG - Ricky Ledo
PG - Devin Harris
PG - Jose Barea
PG - Raymond Felton

Maybe a Nelson/Crowder/Wright/picks for Afflalo/Mozgov deal with Denver might have been better for the Mavericks?

Back