Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btw guys, putting out expressions of interest for a mock draft like we did last year - click here to put your name down if you want to be part of it :)

Was an absolute nightmare waiting for people to be active last year, I'll pass but hopefully it runs alot more smoothly

Anything possible if we drop down the order
Snell, Stoneham, Lynch, Menzel..great examples of WHAT IF players..if only they weren't injured, what would we have had...?

Baz already ranks right up there but without the injuries could have been a club great for sure. Lynch was a favourite - a real talent - remember seeing a match at Princes park where he dominated half back as a third man up and then another game where he kicked 5 against the Dons at the G - Cats isolated him in the 50, he was that good on the lead.

What if........

NATHAN ABLETT could handle the attention?

He could have been the best ever!
It was more so the fact he was just a lazy runt... 2 be truthful.
He was the same when he worked construction. Lazy. Walkabout hiding from work kinda guy on site.
Not sure what he does now, but the guy was a flat out lazy loafer.

It was more so the fact he was just a lazy runt... 2 be truthful.
He was the same when he worked construction. Lazy. Walkabout hiding from work kinda guy on site.
Not sure what he does now, but the guy was a flat out lazy loafer.

Reminds me of the story from either Mooney or SJ about when we were playing at home and at the start of the 2nd 1/4 Nathan was meant to be on the ground but was nowhere to be seen... So they went into the change rooms and he was watching the game on TV eating grapes.

I could imagine him on a work site doing zilch unless prompted.

Absolutely legendary stuff lol.

It wasn’t a literal statement. It’s replacing their list spot with higher end talent so you have a pipeline. You’d like to think there are more advanced players taking those roles - Willis, Conway, Henry, Bruhn, Knevitt etc etc.

Filling the pipeline with multiple end of draft picks is something to avoid and although things change we are looking at that situation 12 months out. Hopefully we can learn from the 2015-16 years where we had to back fill with a glut of Abbott, House, Narkle, Buzza, Hayball, Luxford, Gardiner, Ruggles. At least Menegola was a hit but overall we took too many.

Blicavs (rookie), Miers (#57), Close (rookie), Kolo (#41), Stewart (#40), Atkins (rookie), Stengle (DFA), Zuthrie (rookie), O'Connor (rookie), Henry (rookie). Ten of our grand final 22 were "end of draft" picks.

Really hope we just use the pick considering it's the best we've had in years..

If Clark or Humphrey aren't available just pull the trigger with Buslinger and set up our KP defensive posts for the next 10+ years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope we just use the pick considering it's the best we've had in years..

If Clark or Humphrey aren't available just pull the trigger with Buslinger and set up our KP defensive posts for the next 10+ years

Looking at Busslinger he has Wells special all over him.

Just to add to the discussion of whether we keep this years draft pick or trade for next years, go and check out the video of Colby McKercher from Tassie. GOT some speed and is a raking left footer, one to watch out for next year.

Attachments

• CDB3EFB2-1FA6-4784-8348-010024E06AB5.png
    CDB3EFB2-1FA6-4784-8348-010024E06AB5.png
    657.3 KB · Views: 51
I know there’s a love fest for Clark and fair enough. Not sure it would be the same if he wasn’t a falcon. More than happy to take him at pick 7 though. But it’s not the be all and end all.
I really like Reuben Ginbey. Really nice kick. Big lad but kicks well and has a bit of speed. Looks to win contested ball well but can also break from congestion.
I’d be more than happy with him or Clark.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blicavs (rookie), Miers (#57), Close (rookie), Kolo (#41), Stewart (#40), Atkins (rookie), Stengle (DFA), Zuthrie (rookie), O'Connor (rookie), Henry (rookie). Ten of our grand final 22 were "end of draft" picks.
Pick 40 odd is a 2nd round pick so that’s unfair.. I think you missed my point. No doubting there is talent available but taking 4-6 per season in a batch and it doesn’t work so well. Unless you’re trying to argue the talent picked up during the period we were forced into doing this 15 & 16 didn’t impact us. We have the mechanisms and capital to prevent this if we like. Just an option

Pick 40 odd is a 2nd round pick so that’s unfair.. I think you missed my point. No doubting there is talent available but taking 4-6 per season in a batch and it doesn’t work so well. Unless you’re trying to argue the talent picked up during the period we were forced into doing this 15 & 16 didn’t impact us. We have the mechanisms and capital to prevent this if we like. Just an option

Not to be too contrarian...but to be honest, 2016 was where we had stuff all draft capital - and it was basically the year that we rebooted our entire side in one hit (arguably more important than the acquisition of Danger and Hendo).

2016 draft:

Pick 26: Brandan Parfitt
Pick 40: Tom Stewart
Pick 43: Esava Ratugolea
Rookie Pick 16: Jack Henry
Rookie Pick 33: Zach Guthrie
Cat B Rookie: Mark O'Connor

If we look at our draft capital in future years, it's not really that important given we're busting at the seams right now with depth/young talent that we picked up in this trade period + Pick 7, and then next year's Future 1st (and our 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. if we need them).

In terms of our position moving forward, we're actually nicely balanced, and the only big effect we'll have on our list will be from Hawk retiring in the next year or so. Everywhere else has depth, so I think we're in a spot to re tool on the run once again in the coming years - if need be.

Everyone has a opinion but i agree, my opinion has been all along this is the worst draft in a long time, and can see why the Suns give us pick 7 this year

It's also why any pick inside the Top 10 is that more valuable - as it drops right off after the first 11 or so picks.

1. Ashcroft
2. Cadman
3. Wardlaw
4. Sheezel
5. Tsatas
6. Humphrey
7. Clark
8. Phillipou
9. McKenzie
10. Ginbey
11. Busslinger

Those are the kids everyone wants and after that, it's an absolute raffle to see who's gonna actually make it from this draft. Jones and Allan look good, as does Keeler, Barnett, Jefferson, George etc. but there's a lot of question marks post the elite end of the draft - so clubs see anything after 45 as probably worthless, and anything after the top bracket of kids as a lot more hit and miss than other years, IMO.

Not unexpected…list size has been reduced from 47 (inc Cat B Rookies) in 2020 to 44 now. That’s 18 x 3 = 54 less players on AFL lists….actually may only be 17 x 3 as Suns have extra rookie spots. Also the number of players entering the AFL via different pathways (not National Draft) has increasEd and the ability to sign delisted free agents, without the need to draft, would also impact. Finally there are one-off exemptions which allow clubs to move players whose development has been impacted by covid between main and rookie list without needing to redraft.…pretty sure these are still in play this year.

Rookie upgrades?

Yep…AFL rules force clubs to use three picks at the national draft but these spots can also be filled by upgraded rookies or by clubs re-selecting delisted players.

it looks like the Suns could only use Pick 5 this year…the value of Pick 7 means a lot more to us than them I suspect.

Another reason clubs use less draft picks now is because they often save a pick to use in the mid-season or pre-season draft.

Just get the deal done with the Crows. Pick 7 for their future first which on points may seem like a rort but isn’t next years draft supposed to be better? I’m also not sure if they even own a F1

We have a future 1st as well as 2 x 2nd rounders (one tied to Kangas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back