Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Yeo - when every single post prefaces their interest with “if he can stay fit….” Or “a fit yeo would be awesome….” Well that tells you everything you need to know.

Stay well away, he has an extended track record of his body failing to meet the demands of AFL footy. The most important ability is availability and Yeo is severely lacking in this area.

SA kids don't always want to go home though and the crows should be chasing mids and defenders anyway.

OOC 2026 anyway at which time he's a free agent. Need to start getting in his ear now

SA kids dont always go home.. same as not all geelong kids want to return ...but I think thats a good fit. I guess we see. They could add a Yeo type FA and maybe trade in mid from a club that isnt using all their young talent. Brisbane have done that to us a couple of times. Bet they would say we will give you FR3 for Willis. We probably delist him anyway.

I suspect that GC will move him before 2026. The mid week tackle talked tonight about points changes ... and having to pay more for aligned academy kids.

Last edited:

WA ain’t all that.

There are plenty of people in Perth who would happily leave.
I'm talking about Yeo.. his in his 30s, engaged to his WA partner, been in Perth since he left Brisbane. On good money, he will not be leaving West Cost for them reasons and many many more reasons he won't be leaving Western Australia

I'm talking about Yeo.. his in his 30s, engaged to his WA partner, been in Perth since he left Brisbane. On good money, he will not be leaving West Cost for them reasons and many many more reasons he won't be leaving Western Australia

FD50 ... he is OOC and I think WC might just about to start getting tougher with some of these guys. My bet is they offer him a lot less than he has been on if they want him gone to hopefully get them a Band2 or Band 3 pick.

I don’t think he will leave.

But there are plenty of people in their early 30s who leave their hometown to benefit their career or just to live somewhere different.

His WA partner might be just as happy to leave WA also.

FD50 ... he is OOC and I think WC might just about to start getting tougher with some of these guys. My bet is they offer him a lot less than he has been on if they want him gone to hopefully get them a Band2 or Band 3 pick.
Yes his OOC. But I'll be you a few 🍻 🍺 if he comes to Geelong or even to any Victorian club ..

I don’t think he will leave.

But there are plenty of people in their early 30s who leave their hometown to benefit their career or just to live somewhere different.

His WA partner might be just as happy to leave WA also.
Yes there are many people... but I'm talking about a genuine player like him who is in there 30s playing AFL is bloody slim

AFL looking at overhaul of the draft points system, pick purchasing in play​

Clubs will be forced to pay a higher price when bidding on father-son and academy players, plus the AFL is open to pick purchasing and more in a revamp of the trade and draft system.

AFL clubs will be forced to pay a higher price for star academy and father-son players as part of an overhaul of the draft points system.
And the league is open to pick purchasing where clubs can effectively buy draft picks with salary cap space and trading more than one year in advance.

The league told all 18 clubs in a meeting of football general managers on Tuesday a revamp of the draft points system was in the works as part of a discussion about the trade and draft system.

It means clubs such as Gold Coast would not get as much of a discount on brilliant first-round academy prospects taken in the first round of the draft after securing four homegrown guns last year including Jed Walter.

But the northern-states clubs will strongly defend their ability to continue to develop and recruit local talents who could otherwise play other sports.

AFL football boss Laura Kane and operations assistant Josh Mahoney led the meeting and asked clubs to break off in small groups to have further talks on key topics.

Clubs want more flexibility to trade picks two years in advance, helping clubs have more capacity to make moves at trade period.

Clubs have been frustrated deals have stalled because of their inability to unlock picks more than one year ahead.

Free agency compensation and the controversial bands system was also discussed as clubs look for more clarity on the wages which trigger first-round compensation picks.

The AFL also provided an update on the ball-tracking technology which could help the AFL develop an enhanced goal review system.

A further update on the state league trial will be delivered in June.

Clubs will be forced to pay a higher price when bidding on father-son and academy players, plus the AFL is open to pick purchasing and more in a revamp of the trade and draft system.

AFL clubs will be forced to pay a higher price for star academy and father-son players as part of an overhaul of the draft points system.
And the league is open to pick purchasing where clubs can effectively buy draft picks with salary cap space and trading more than one year in advance.

The league told all 18 clubs in a meeting of football general managers on Tuesday a revamp of the draft points system was in the works as part of a discussion about the trade and draft system.

It means clubs such as Gold Coast would not get as much of a discount on brilliant first-round academy prospects taken in the first round of the draft after securing four homegrown guns last year including Jed Walter.

But the northern-states clubs will strongly defend their ability to continue to develop and recruit local talents who could otherwise play other sports.

AFL football boss Laura Kane and operations assistant Josh Mahoney led the meeting and asked clubs to break off in small groups to have further talks on key topics.

Clubs want more flexibility to trade picks two years in advance, helping clubs have more capacity to make moves at trade period.

Clubs have been frustrated deals have stalled because of their inability to unlock picks more than one year ahead.

Free agency compensation and the controversial bands system was also discussed as clubs look for more clarity on the wages which trigger first-round compensation picks.

The AFL also provided an update on the ball-tracking technology which could help the AFL develop an enhanced goal review system.

Keep academy's the way they are but change the matching system so you have to use a minimum of 1 pick from the round they were bid on and no discount on points.

E.g Ashcroft gets bid on at pick 3 you have to use at least 1 round 1 pick + whatever other picks you need to = the points.

Stops clubs trading a teens pick for 5 picks in the 30s/40s or even worse trading its first round into next years and only using late picks to match.

There is it.
The F/S rule change being put in place for our 20+ candidates coming

Is Worpel actually good or is he always playing good games against us?

Hes ok. Hes a decent B grader middle tier player who would look better in a better side. But hes not top end elite and i doubt he ever will be.

On SEN this morning reported the feeling is that Jack Lukosius is gettable. Not happy playing back for the Suns. Would be an enormous get. Prefer him to any of the names bandied thus far. Would be a perfect fit for us as a Cameron replacement down the track but we could play him, Cameron and Neale next year (assuming Hawkins retires).

Frankly id prefer mac andrew over luko if we chasing GC talls but i doubt they let either go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make the most pnp sense , the most age profile sense , the most heritage sense ... and... he is at the stage now where he has played for the club he yearned for , barracked for etc.. for 6 years , has played 83 games and is a mature player. What does he see the next part of his career like?

The Roos look like they may take till he is deep into his 20's to be competitive chance for finals. He is probably now starting to think about how he wants to spend the rest of his football career , as well financial security. Hopefully partake in some wins and some finals. Too many other clubs are look primed all ready and then there is Tas on the horizon. Maybe he signs another two years till he is a FA but what it must be like to play week after week for a club who is in the mire of defeat quicksand is hard to appreciate. I have him as having experienced 9 wins our of his 83 games ..and one of those wins includes what now look like a death wish win to deny themselves Harley Reid...

What would North want? A fair bit id say...

Bailey is a decent player. And has a decision to make in that sense as no one will offer him the money north will. He might have to take say 50 % less money to join a top 4 side but if he stays at north he might not play finals til late in his career as you say. Id say ooc hes worth a late r1 and id pay that (not a top 10 pick but one closer to 20)
our club's general strategy with scott or smith or other players will be interesting.

Do we realistically think we are a shot at reid in 2026? Bc if we are are we better off to ignore these other guys (although we need mid 20s players now) and just reinforce with FAs and stockpile picks forward into the future bc harley will cost at least 3 r1s mimimum (especially where ours are likely to be). Or do we just target the best talent now to win a flag in 2025? (And reinforce to replace any retirements we have)

Keep academy's the way they are but change the matching system so you have to use a minimum of 1 pick from the round they were bid on and no discount on points.

E.g Ashcroft gets bid on at pick 3 you have to use at least 1 round 1 pick + whatever other picks you need to = the points.

Stops clubs trading a teens pick for 5 picks in the 30s/40s or even worse trading its first round into next years and only using late picks to match.
I don’t think it would work that way.

It’s easy to do it that way if you absolutely know you have a player that will go before your 1st pick, like Ashcroft and Lions R1.

But you will run into issues with other circumstances depending on where players are bid on.

But I agree it needs to be changed that clubs can’t take 1 decent draft pick worth (for example) 1500pts and they continue to roll it over to end up with 5 or 6 picks worth 2500pts + they then get a 20% discount on the player points.

Later picks shouldn’t be valued as high as they are, clubs take advantage of that too easily.

Last edited:
I don’t think it would work that way.

It’s easy to do it that way if you absolutely know you have a player that will go before your 1st pick, like Ashcroft and Lions R1.

But you will run into issue with other circumstances depending on where players are bid on.

But I agree it need to be changed that clubs can’t take 1 decent draft pick worth (for example) 1500pts and they continue to roll it over to end up with 5 or 6 picks worth 2500pts + they then get a 20% discount on the player points.

Later picks shouldn’t be values as high as they are, clubs take advantage of that too easily.
Clubs usually have a very good idea on when the player will be bid on especially high end talent.

And really the only ones that matter for fairness are the ones going in the first round and maybe second.

Teams shouldn't be able to get a Daicos or Ashcroft etc for a bunch of 3rd rounders but a speculative player that no clubs really rate inside the top 30 sure let them do that for those.

Even if they change it so any first round bid must be matched with a first and any bid after the first round can use junk picks it will make it 100% better than it is now.

The only other option is to make it so any picks after say 20 are worthless points wise so you would end up needing 30 to match a bid inside 10.

Academy's and F/S should not be a here you go have a top 5 player for free.

They have options and they should start using them.

Clubs usually have a very good idea on when the player will be bid on especially high end talent.

And really the only ones that matter for fairness are the ones going in the first round and maybe second.

Teams shouldn't be able to get a Daicos or Ashcroft etc for a bunch of 3rd rounders but a speculative player that no clubs really rate inside the top 30 sure let them do that for those.

Even if they change it so any first round bid must be matched with a first and any bid after the first round can use junk picks it will make it 100% better than it is now.

The only other option is to make it so any picks after say 20 are worthless points wise so you would end up needing 30 to match a bid inside 10.

Academy's and F/S should not be a here you go have a top 5 player for free.

They have options and they should start using them.

Agree you shouldn’t be able to get a gun for a stack of later picks.

Agree that picks after R1 should be valued very low.

Don’t agree with the needing to use a first rounder on a player bid on in the first rounder though, if you think about it you will come up with reasons why it won’t work completely fairly.

There is it.
The F/S rule change being put in place for our 20+ candidates coming
Hands off father and son selections the AFL if anything should be making it easier for kids to follow in their fathers footsteps if that's their dream.I for one get great enjoyment out of following the progress of these kids on their journey none more so than Nathan Ablett :huh:

Agree you shouldn’t be able to get a gun for a stack of later picks.

Agree that picks after R1 should be valued very low.

Don’t agree with the needing to use a first rounder on a player bid on in the first rounder though, if you think about it you will come up with reasons why it won’t work completely fairly.
The only way to truly make the draft fair for what it is supposed to be is all players academy and F/S go into the open draft and can't be matched.

But the AFL will never do that so the next best thing would be to make the clubs pay the appropriate amount for the level of player they are getting and the only way to make it fair that a team is getting a top 10 kid is to make them pay a top 10 pick.

Now i could see situation in which a bottom 4 club has an academy or F/S that goes after its current pick but they could always trade back behind it or trade out a future first into another current first.

E.g North have pick 3 and the player will be bid on around 12 they could trade pick 3 for 2 teens picks using 1 to match and the other on a decent kid or they could trade a future fist for another first rounder for a pick or picks after the expected bid.

What is not ok is in the example above North trade pick 21 for 28 and 4 picks in the 40-50 range and proceed to use those picks to pick up a kid on the fringe of the top 10 and still get a top 3 pick.

I still think the best solution is all kids go into the draft with no matching what so ever even if it means the AFL have to take over academy's because clubs refuse to do it without a massive leg up.

Seems like a Geelong man through and through. Couldn’t imagine him playing anywhere else.
Exactly my response, especially after getting his brother down
But money talks at the end of the day, however North rarely land a fish

Was just wondering if anyone else had heard

E.g North have pick 3 and the player will be bid on around 12 they could trade pick 3 for 2 teens picks using 1 to match and the other on a decent kid or they could trade a future fist for another first rounder for a pick or picks after the expected bid.
It is just too messy for mine.

I get what you are trying to do though, but there’s just too many holes in doing it that way.

It’s a decent place to start from and adjust until something better is worked out though.

when is J Henry ooc?
Heard last night from a friend that knows a guy that North want to offer him a monster 5 year deal

Anyone else heard this?
To be honest… if J Henry got us Band1 comp it wouldn’t be the worst thing ever.

The guy is ok but not even close to top tier.

Can’t see him ever leaving us though unless North offered him nearly double what we would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back