Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that 1000 yard stare he had on the bench after being subbed off didn't look good.

It looked like a guy contemplating his football mortality.
Having basically 12 months out of football, especially after the age of thirty, can really hurt a player.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that 1000 yard stare he had on the bench after being subbed off didn't look good.

It looked like a guy contemplating his football mortality.

If this was a movie, and you needed the scene to say "maybe I just don't have it anymore" that would be it.

When RS came off..I was almost waiting for the jumper to come off and for him to swing it over his head Brad Hardie style.

To be fair…if he had to be convinced to play …then he might be over this type of situation. If so we should pay him out and thank him for his service

I believe you on that im just telling you battles dad and family are massive hawks fans and they are throwing big cash at him it will be there or saints.
We did chase duggan in the kelly deal and again when he was last ooc but now hes 28 and captain i doubt he goes.
Why would his dad and family throw cash at him. Isn’t that the job of the club ? ;)

Its not such a bad thing. Players going to a club cause they were big fans as kids… sort of shows its not 100% sterile yet.

IF we added Battle im not sure what role he would play for us but he would be handy.

Battle would be good for cash only as hes a good player.
But our biggest list needs are inside mids, outside class runnners, a ruck and a kpf (last one depends if you do or dont rate neale).
Mid sized defenders which he is is not a massive need for us.

In other matters how did you rate pike today? Hes improved from last year and i think hes draftable.

Ah yes, the old 'I can fix him/her'.

A favourite of aspiring psychologists in their high school & uni days. God knows I've been there.

In all seriousness though, even if you're right, I doubt TT is even cleared now.

And even if he was, I'd say it's a 2026 proposition rather than 2025.

The AFL values protecting the 'brand' over anything else. It doesn't actually mean they care, they just care about what it looks like.

Yeah, I mean, I was making that joke… but obviously went over your head.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, I mean, I was making that joke… but obviously went over your head.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hardly.

My point was I doubt we can fix him, and even if we could, he won't play in 2025. It's pointless even talking about it.

The AFL won't allow it. The domestic violence awareness round was a canary in the coalmine without us even having to do anything.

TT could cure cancer in the next 6 months and the backlash of recruiting him would still (rightly) be immense. It's not worth it.

Battle would be good for cash only as hes a good player.
But our biggest list needs are inside mids, outside class runnners, a ruck and a kpf (last one depends if you do or dont rate neale).
Mid sized defenders which he is is not a massive need for us.

In other matters how did you rate pike today? Hes improved from last year and i think hes draftable.

The more I see of Neale , the more I'm concerned his marking is not strong enough for a KPF. I hope his wrong as he has a lot going for him.

Yes Pike was good. Id like to have seen him play forward in the 2nd and 4th quarters. He seems good over head and a reasonable setshot. Really liked his hands a couple of times when he quickly handpassed the ball to a nearby small.

Baby, meet bathwater. You're both thrown out.

FWIW there's bits in here that I agree with that if we tinker with, can improve our season. But it was smothered in layers of doomsday and hyperbole at the same time. We shouldn't have a bleaker view of kids or depth just because a bunch of veterans have had a horrendous few weeks. The ones we know it'll be difficult to have a soft landing from when they are no longer high performers, or gone completely.

The side is starting to be rejuvenated, with the management of veterans being one method to give younger players games. If they play well enough like Dempsey, or we rate them highly enough like Clark, they will get more extended runs in the side. We are reaching the stage where Tuohy, Rohan and perhaps Cam Guthrie should be considered back up only. With a couple of others put on notice if they don't help steer the shift to safety over the next few weeks.

There's plenty to ponder but nothing worth melting down about at this stage. The Port loss at home was a horrendous gaffe, otherwise we would still be sitting quite nicely. Melbourne at the G and Gold Coast in NT are tough assignments. We really dropped our bundle for one of them.
How do our youth compare to other clubs? Example are the WB better positioned than us. Dempsey and some of our other players look good but other clubs may have more coming through.

No one knows the future but we all must have an opinion.

The Gold Coast haul for next year will only strengthen their position. That is not layers of crap just a FACT

LAYERS OF DOOMSDAY and HYPERBOLE? Get real!

How do our youth compare to other clubs? Example are the WB better positioned than us. Dempsey and some of our other players look good but other clubs may have more coming through.

The Gold Coast haul for next year will only strengthen their position. That is not layers of crap just a FACT

What sort of analysis is this? Hahahaha.

Of course the expansion teams and consistent ladder cellar dwellars have stacks of talented kids. They have been pumping in top 10 draft picks for 5-10 years or even more.

I don't understand your reference to layers of crap. I'm probably going to spend the rest of this post de-escalating the emotional stuff so we can actually chat football. Things will be okay. We face the usual challenge of navigating life with a bunch of A grade veterans retiring or declining, without top 5 picks to replace them. I think we are doing an okay job and must stay vigilant in the draft and free agency to address needs.

Can I seperate the two observations?

Are our younger players actually that good in comparison to other sides?
Id say , as in most judgmental things, its in the eye of the judge. We dont have a truck load of early pick kids…. so therefore our young kids must be no good…. Id say its been shown many times that the system and talent play a role. We have some on our list that will fall short and others that might be very good. I feel we lack options with our taller players atm. , so we have to find a way to add to that. We add mids every year ..and they are easier to trade in if our picks fall short.

The chances of a good trade haul look bleak.

Its very early. Lets see what picks we have for starters. We are months away from that. Can we get a real early mid kid this year? I guess we just have to wait and see what picks we have afert all the trades are done.

Gold Coast have three R1 picks but I suspect they will either trade them to get in even better players, trade them for points or trade them into next year. They have a stream of players coming… and what they took last year will not be the last of the academy talent they add. They have been linked to trading for Riolli ..so that probably sees one or two for the R1’s end up at Richmond.
Thankyou for your logical reply and opinion. Well-written and a good example for some other posters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little weird that you're arguing this and then in the same post saying we can't predict the future.

You're right, we don't know. If I was to guess, I'd have us around the top 6/8 in terms of future prospects...but that's all it is, guessing.

We can have faith that we'll figure it out, as the club has been in miles worse positions than this in terms of transitioning the list...and still figured out a way time and time again.

You can continue the 'worst case scenario' approach though. It doesn't sound like an overly positive way to live, but I won't tell you how to do it.

The more I see of Neale , the more I'm concerned his marking is not strong enough for a KPF. I hope his wrong as he has a lot going for him.

Yes Pike was good. Id like to have seen him play forward in the 2nd and 4th quarters. He seems good over head and a reasonable setshot. Really liked his hands a couple of times when he quickly handpassed the ball to a nearby small.

It’s funny, because at times he clunks them like a good KP player should. But far too many he makes good position and they spill out. I’m not sure why as his technique appears ok?

Yeah i have the same worry with neale. I love the way he moves and his set shot kicking is great but im not sure you can make it as an afl kpf if you 2 grab everything.

I like Pike's skills for his size and his follow up work is good. I agree probably needs to play forward more in the lead up to the draft.

Yeah i have the same worry with neale. I love the way he moves and his set shot kicking is great but im not sure you can make it as an afl kpf if you 2 grab everything.

I like Pike's skills for his size and his follow up work is good. I agree probably needs to play forward more in the lead up to the draft.
I wouldn't say that.

Buddy & Walker can't take a mark above their heads to save themselves.

Hawkins used to, but post the back injury he needs it speared onto his chest.

McKay and the King boys are probably the only 'gun' key forwards right now who dominate in the air, or take genuine pack marks.

The rest are average, or it's not apart of their game.

Is Will Brodie worth a chance to chase? Can't get a game at Fremantle

What sort of analysis is this? Hahahaha.

Of course the expansion teams and consistent ladder cellar dwellars have stacks of talented kids. They have been pumping in top 10 draft picks for 5-10 years or even more.

I don't understand your reference to layers of crap. I'm probably going to spend the rest of this post de-escalating the emotional stuff so we can actually chat football. Things will be okay. We face the usual challenge of navigating life with a bunch of A grade veterans retiring or declining, without top 5 picks to replace them. I think we are doing an okay job and must stay vigilant in the draft and free agency to address needs.
Mate please ignore my posts in the future. I would rather you not reply to my comments but it is an open forum. No need for

I simply asked how do our youth compare and made an observation that the Gold Coast licks would overhaul our side.
Little weird that you're arguing this and then in the same post saying we can't predict the future.

You're right, we don't know. If I was to guess, I'd have us around the top 6/8 in terms of future prospects...but that's all it is, guessing.

We can have faith that we'll figure it out, as the club has been in miles worse positions than this in terms of transitioning the list...and still figured out a way time and time again.

You can continue the 'worst case scenario' approach though. It doesn't sound like an overly positive way to live, but I won't tell you how to do it.
Koby, for your information, I have a great life and my positivity has led to some great results. More than most people would dream of both in a family and financial sense. So be happy for me.

However, I would suggest you offer your support to others as I do.

I simply asked the question what is your opinion on where our youth stands compared to other clubs. It is not weird to not know but have an opinion. Thanks for your view.

I also made the point that it is difficult to rebuild when you do not get access to the better players. Which I think is crappy. Very logical and not irrational or negative.

Last edited:
Mate please ignore my posts in the future. I would rather you not reply to my comments but it is an open forum. No need for

I simply asked how do our youth compare and made an observation that the Gold Coast licks would overhaul our side.

Koby, for your information, I have a great life and my positivity has led to some great results. More than most people would dream of both in a family and financial sense. So be happy for me.

However, I would suggest you offer your support to others as I do.

I simply asked the question what is your opinion on where our youth stands compared to other clubs.

I also made the point that it is difficult to rebuild when you do not get access to the better players. Which I think is crappy. Very logical and not irrational or negative.
Stop having a tantrum, I addressed both of your posts entirely, it is you getting emotional and this latest showing is an even more dramatic example.

You also said "many sides may have better youth" like seriously, this is your analysis and you are demanding some sort of retribution?

Anyway like you said, better for you to simply ignore my posts. It appears you are incapable of engaging in balanced discussion, so are not well suited to a thread like this.

Thankyou for your logical reply and opinion. Well-written and a good example for some other posters.
Turbocat is a great example for yourself. Measured, non-emotional and simply running through possibilities while accepting our limitations (draft hands) have made things difficult, as they will continue to. Nobody has a crystal ball. Frankly I hope you take on board the sensible post you quoted and try to model your future ones closer to that.

Stop having a tantrum, I addressed both of your posts entirely, it is you getting emotional and this latest showing is an even more dramatic example.

You also said "many sides may have better youth" like seriously, this is your analysis and you are demanding some sort of retribution?

Anyway like you said, better for you to simply ignore my posts. It appears you are incapable of engaging in balanced discussion, so are not well suited to a thread like this.
He/she is better than this, I don't know why they're doing it.

The Falcon model of posting an ignorant opinion, being called out for it, and then following up with the 'why is everyone picking on me?' routine doesn't help anyone.

Obviously both you and I reference the negativity in a football sense. On a football forum, I would've thought that much was implied, but clearly not.

Done Deal lets ignore our posts from now on. However I do not need your advice and I will decide where i am suited to post. I will not reply to you any further. Enjoy your caravan.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back