Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Jackson went “god mode” yesterday.

Why the hell would Freo sign Darcy long term and not look to trade last year when they could cash in on his value.

Teams do not need two top line rucks.

Cash in on one of them and put that return towards filling a gap in your list.

Seems like an obvious blunder to me.

Rohan can play with Dempsey in the same team. Part of rotations.
The issue is how you fit all of Rohan, Dempsey, Henry, Stengle, Miers, Close, Hawkins and Cameron in the one 22-man side. None of them have experience anywhere other than the forward line, so that's two interchange spots gone before you've even considered midfield or defence.

Stewart is a much more consistent high level performer than Cameron.

He's the best intercept defender in the league and one of the best playmakers.

There's a few questionable players on your list.
More consistent, yes, but that's also just part and parcel of being a key forward. Charlie Curnow won the Coleman last year but still had plenty of weeks where he just kicked one or two goals.

Don't get me wrong, Stewart is great, but a player who can kick bags of six and seven goals in the modern game is a bona fide freak. Cameron would have easily been a centurion if he was playing thirty years ago.

Luke Jackson went “god mode” yesterday.

Why the hell would Freo sign Darcy long term and not look to trade last year when they could cash in on his value.

Teams do not need two top line rucks.

Cash in on one of them and put that return towards filling a gap in your list.

Seems like an obvious blunder to me.

I think the issue is darcy wanted to stay there and i dont think with the 'optics' that they wanted to push him out given all the issues they have had retaining players. But i agree they should have pushed him out as an FA.

The issue is how you fit all of Rohan, Dempsey, Henry, Stengle, Miers, Close, Hawkins and Cameron in the one 22-man side. None of them have experience anywhere other than the forward line, so that's two interchange spots gone before you've even considered midfield or defence.

Plus mannagh too.

Plus mannagh too.
That's true, but Mannagh at least has plenty of experience in the middle.

I think it's just part of the risk when you go at a smidge over a goal per game, and don't do much in the way of getting the ball further up the ground - your spot in the side is always "gettable".

Rohan does turn 33 in a few months.

I think the issue is darcy wanted to stay there and i dont think with the 'optics' that they wanted to push him out given all the issues they have had retaining players. But i agree they should have pushed him out as an FA.
I almost wish he was a couple years older tbh.

If we were to get him, he'd only be the incumbent for 1 year, max 2 years before we've got a controversy brewing with Conway.

Not to mention Edwards too, who's every chance to be just as good as Toby, if not better.

And then all of a sudden, we've got a 28 year old Darcy with the same problem that Freo have had with Jackson.

I don't know what they do with him now...Richmond is probably an option, Collingwood could be dumb enough to do it by deluding themselves that they're still in the window...but there's no many suitors out there IMO.

Miers, Close and Dempsey can all rotate through the wing. Mannagh can rotate through the middle too.

Assuming full availability, they can all play together pretty easily:

B: Z.Guthrie De Koning Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart J.Henry Duncan
C: Miers Atkins Holmes
HF: Rohan Cameron Close
F: Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
FOLL: Stanley Dangerfield C.Guthrie
INT: Dempsey Mannagh Blicavs Bruhn Bowes
EMG: Tuohy Parfitt Clark O'Connor

I don't think that line-up ignores the midfield or the defence to accommodate all of the above players. Midfield is Danger, Cuthrie, Atkins, Blitz, Bruhn and Bowes, with Miers, Dempsey, Holmes and Duncan being multi-positional and able to be used one the wings. Bowes can be used across either as a midfielder or a defender. Backline is SDK, Zuthrie, Stewart, Kolo, and J.Henry, with support from whichever two out of Duncan, Bowes or Holmes we're using as defenders. Or if that's too attacking we can select MOC ahead of Bowes or something.

Miers, Close and Dempsey can all rotate through the wing. Mannagh can rotate through the middle too.

Assuming full availability, they can all play together pretty easily:

B: Z.Guthrie De Koning Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart J.Henry Duncan
C: Miers Atkins Holmes
HF: Rohan Cameron Close
F: Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
FOLL: Stanley Dangerfield C.Guthrie
INT: Dempsey Mannagh Blicavs Bruhn Bowes
EMG: Tuohy Parfitt Clark O'Connor

I don't think that line-up ignores the midfield or the defence to accommodate all of the above players. Midfield is Danger, Cuthrie, Atkins, Blitz, Bruhn and Bowes, with Miers, Dempsey, Holmes and Duncan being multi-positional and able to be used one the wings. Bowes can be used across either as a midfielder or a defender. Backline is SDK, Zuthrie, Stewart, Kolo, and J.Henry, with support from whichever two out of Duncan, Bowes or Holmes we're using as defenders. Or if that's too attacking we can select MOC ahead of Bowes or something.
I guess that’s where we differ, I don’t see Miers as a winger when his delivery is so good into the fifty, and I don’t think Close or Dempsey have ever played there either.

Id rather trade for a couple of matures mids to have a Danger effect than pay what they would want for Darcy. They have forked the pork ..now they can chew on it ..unless its an unbelievably good deal. Add that Im really not sure Dacry will last that 7 year deal.. I cant see him replicating Hawkins

I guess that’s where we differ, I don’t see Miers as a winger when his delivery is so good into the fifty, and I don’t think Close or Dempsey have ever played there either.

Dempsey spent half of Friday night starting on the wing, and pretty sure he's played that role in the VFL

Miers has already spent time playing up on the wing also - he was playing that linking role last year and was almost the player keeping Menegola out of the team when the MC realised we had some good, young options to play that role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dempsey spent half of Friday night starting on the wing, and pretty sure he's played that role in the VFL

Miers has already spent time playing up on the wing also - he was playing that linking role last year and was almost the player keeping Menegola out of the team when the MC realised we had some good, young options to play that role
I actually only think Dempsey started in the forward 6 3-4 times. The rest he lined up on the wing. Now I think that wasn’t planned until mannagh came in for some mids and they had to move blitz inside. But maybe they got to see another option?

And when miers is getting 26 possessions frankly it probably is hard to tell whether he is HHF or wing. They are (better than) wing like numbers.

We have plenty of flexibility it looks like. Driven by the fact that we now have an overload of genuine afl level forwards

I actually only think Dempsey started in the forward 6 3-4 times. The rest he lined up on the wing. Now I think that wasn’t planned until mannagh came in for some mids and they had to move blitz inside. But maybe they got to see another option?

And when miers is getting 26 possessions frankly it probably is hard to tell whether he is HHF or wing. They are (better than) wing like numbers.

We have plenty of flexibility it looks like. Driven by the fact that we now have an overload of genuine afl level forwards

Cameron spent majority of the first quarter starting up on the wing and working back into the 50

Our starting forward 6 at centre bounces during the first quarter was generally Hawkins, O. Henry, Miers, Stengle, Close and Mannagh

We definitely switched it up across the match, and expect we'll continue to do similar throughout the season

I wonder if we make a play at him? Surely he'd come cheap.

Probably not cheap enough. We wouldn’t want to be giving up anything significant. I’d only consider it if both Dangerfield and C.Guthrie retire. Which is v unlikely. Prefer to continue to add to our midfield stocks via the draft or with an under 24 player via trade.

Rohan will play plenty of senior footy when fit. They'll fit him in.

Going to be interesting to see how they do it assuming both O.Henry and Dempsey are fit and available. I love Rohan when he’s fit and in form. Was a critical piece for us in 22. But there’s only 22 spots and they are quickly being filled.

Going to be interesting to see how they do it assuming both O.Henry and Dempsey are fit and available. I love Rohan when he’s fit and in form. Was a critical piece for us in 22. But there’s only 22 spots and they are quickly being filled.

Technically, there's 23 spots and Rohan could make a good sub option

If we suffer an injury every week and he's not one of them there's 20 games he could play without having to drop someone.
Guys get injured all year.

Esava played 16 games last year...

If we suffer an injury every week and he's not one of them there's 20 games he could play without having to drop someone.
Guys get injured all year.

Esava played 16 games last year...

True, but there’s only so many half forwards you can fit in a team.

Not sure Esava is a great example. He was in for J.Henry as really our only other tall defender other than SDK. We have a plethora of med forwards even without Rohan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back