AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cats, Sandhurst, Man City
About bloody time too.

Gary Ablett Sr lifeline

18 June 2006 Sunday Herald Sun
Kelvin Healey

GEELONG Football Club will throw disgraced former star Gary Ablett Sr a lifeline with a job offer.

The move was revealed as businesses in the city said they wanted to help the troubled Cats great.
Ablett revealed his quest for work on Monday, two days after his naming as Geelong's greatest player was marred by his attempt to sell a DVD of his acceptance speech.

Ablett said he was worried the controversy would hurt his employment prospects.

But a survey of Geelong businesses found most would give the fallen idol a job, with opportunities including cleaning, pizza delivery, furniture removals, tyre fitting and labouring.

However Geelong president Frank Costa said Ablett, 44, would be officially invited back to work at the club.

Despite Ablett's history, the Cats will ask the admitted heroin user if he wants to work as an ambassador for the club.

``I would like to sit down with Gary and see what he would like to do,'' Costa said.

``If Gary wanted to enter into some sort of ambassadorial role we would happy to sit down.''

Costa said Ablett had a history of excellent community work visiting sick and elderly people when he was a player.

``He was wonderful in the way he visited very sick people, they absolutely adored him,'' Costa said.

Costa said he had been touched by the community spirit of Ablett, who visited two of his nephews, muscular dystrophy sufferers, in the last days of their lives.

Costa said it would mean ``an awful lot'' to Geelong's fans to see Ablett Sr officially return to the club, nine years after retiring.

Agreed.

This bloke means so much to the club and our town. Regardless of his indiscretions which the Melbourne media love to focus on (disgraced, troubled, admitted heroin user - in this article alone... Sun readers lap this s*it up to try and pretend he didn't take that mark of the year over Gary Pert - YAAAABLETTTT! ), he is the greatest player of our game I've ever seen. Easy to say, but it's the honest truth and we all need to admit it.
We owe it to him to ensure he is remembered for all the right reasons.

Thats great news, I know how much he means to you cats fans(my is mum is one) and she adores him and gets mighty ****ed off how the media in melbourne treat him. Sure he's had a troubled life, but i think the best way he can give back to the community and also help himself is to be where he's loved most...at Geelong.

It would be great; great for the club, and I think great for the Gary.

......and wouldn't be great to put egg on Caroline Wilson's face. Today in the Sunday Age she has done her regular hatchet job on Ablett, Quote: "The evidence is mounting that despite Ablett's sons, the Cats' hierarchy is distancing itself from Ablett and his current plight."

A flag or 2 B4 I die said:
It would be great; great for the club, and I think great for the Gary.

......and wouldn't be great to put egg on Caroline Wilson's face. Today in the Sunday Age she has done her regular hatchet job on Ablett, Quote: "The evidence is mounting that despite Ablett's sons, the Cats' hierarchy is distancing itself from Ablett and his current plight."

Thats why i dont read Caroline Wilson, let alone 'The Age'. Putting up with 'The Herald Sun' and that ****head Sheehan is enough for me!

I think that will be good for all parties involved...Ablett gets a job, and Geelong are able to use their biggest drawcard.

Sometimes it gets forgotten how much Ablett did for the community (i.e. visiting the sick and the elderly).

Well done by the club.

Caroline Wilson looks a right goose over this one.
Her recent attacks on Ablett have been pathetic. She is acting like little more than a gutter hack.

LongBomb said:
Well done by the club.

You mean this bit in Caro's crapfest in todays AGED ?

Caro crapfest said:
The evidence is mounting that despite Ablett's sons, the Cats' hierarchy is distancing itself from Ablett and his latest plight.

LongBomb said:
Well done by the club.

Her recent attacks on Ablett have been pathetic. She is acting like little more than a gutter hack.

Long you have used the right words when discussing C Wilson....Pathetic, Gutter, you forgot to add UGLY, untalented and wouldnt have a job if she had testicles....I mean functioning testicles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shell said:
Awesome news :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

First task for Gaz.. sit down with KK and teach him a thing or two! :rolleyes: :D

Not a thing or two. If i were Toyota, i would arrange for Gary Senior to get out on the training track and re-enact the Ablett-Dipper clash in the 89 grand final. Kent plays that part of Dipper.

Shell said:
Awesome news :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

First task for Gaz.. sit down with KK and teach him a thing or two! :rolleyes: :D

Great news and i agree, why couldn't he be offered a forwards coaching role or something, learn from the best...

I no he most likely wouldnt take it but what would every one say if Geelong offered Gary a coaching job say forward coach or maybe a assintant coach what would people think of that?

afl genius said:
I no he most likely wouldnt take it but what would every one say if Geelong offered Gary a coaching job say forward coach or maybe a assintant coach what would people think of that?

Would depend on much he wants to do it...

I do not know Gary personally...but some say he lacks communication skills.

It would be good to see Gary Snr back at Geelong. I know he went into the rooms before one of the first 2 round games and inspired alot of guys (coz we thrashed Kangaroos and Brisbane those games) so it might help out a few of our guys if he comes back to the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back