• Sydney

Votes: 330 69.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 396 83.9%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 209 44.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Crows had an easier draw last season but they had to endure a major mid-year upset to their season ... still made the finals anyway.

This year their alleged* harder draw will very likely be balanced out to a large extent by not having to deal with an equivalent major upset to the season.

Regarding alleged* : the draw this year is only harder if you think that North, Port and Geelong are distinctly better teams than the Crows ... Crows fans would see these games as 50/50.

No harm in being optimistic as long as you recognise it as optimism and don't let your optimism deform into unrealistic expectation.

the crows did only win 3/9 games vs top 8 teams in the premiership season last year. They have 10 this year and have lost their best midfielder.

Last edited:
1. Hawthorn - Can't really go past the hawks, still the best team on paper and can't see anyone else finishing on top. The absence of Roughead might hurt them but that is yet to be seen.

2. Sydney - The swans will really bounce back after nearly missing the top four last season, Think Tippett and Buddy will finally start working together and be a force, Parker, Hanners and Kennedy won't slow down which is the core of a great midfield. Mills, Heeney and Mitchell will improve again as well, their main problem is their defense but I think they will be too good in the midfield and therefore put less pressure on the back line.

3. West Coast - One of the more interesting teams for me this season, could go backwards or forwards after a great season last year but I have them about the same as last year, The defense should be shored up by McKenzie's return and also Brown. The midfield is lacking a bit but Jack Redden will be a good recruit and Duggan and Sheed should get better and push through there to make it stronger.

4. Richmond - We won't go backwards from last year and I have us climbing that one spot and making the top four, Yarran should provide some good run out of defense with great kicking skills which was a huge issue last year, A fit Conca will be like a new recruit, has loads of talent. The main issue is the inside midfielders and we will be hoping one of Moore and Townsed pull a Miles, if they do. we are a massive chance.

5. Port Adelaide - Last year was just a bad one, most young teams have them. Dixon if they can get him fit will be a huge help especially with Ryder getting suspended, The potency of their forward line is ridiculous the power, and their midfield is unreal when firing.

6. Fremantle - Have them sliding out of the top four purely because of the age of their list, No more Luke McPharlin is a huge loss to the defense which will now have too play Silvagni who isn't much good, Pavlich should of hung them up last year and will have another poor year. Sandilands is another year older and will slow down. There goes there three KP stars.

the other two spots will be close! North, Cats, Pies, Doggies, Dees and Suns will fight it out for them.

I'm surprised a lot of you think Richmond will be up there!
Richmond are a pretty good team, getting incrementally better year by year under Dimma. They don't deserve not to be there. Their recent seasons are a bit freaky but so were ours leading up to 2004. Afterwards a bit too, but let us never talk of 2005-12 again.

Just because I want to look silly in 7 months time.

Hawthorn................obviously
Fremantle...............Will squeeze enough teams to make the eight.
Sydney...................Just because.
Geelong..................Have to make it this year and will.
West Coast.............Not as high as some may think, though.
Port Adelaide..........Too good a team not to make it.
Adelaide.................Too many good players not to make it.
North.....................Too many old players not to make it.

Richmond..............Depth still a little thin.
Dogs.....................It was good whilst it lasted. :) ......................come at me.
GWS.....................Should be there on available talent but inner turmoils will prevail.

Easiest way to go about it though is to look at the health of the lists just prior to round 1...........usually works.

Don't worry mate it's not going to happen

Collingwood have had great first half of seasons last 2 years, but fallen off a cliff in the back half. Forward line is still a concern with lack of tall foil for Cloke, but Treloar is a very good addition to an already pretty good midfield. Backline is solid. Could easily see Collingwood making 6,7,8th position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol - have you seen your draw! :p
Points for your optimism though.

We've seen this group still go on to make finals (where they beat the highly fancied Bulldogs on their home deck), and hand out beltings to finalists North, Richmond and the eventual grand finalists (in one of the performances of the season by any club) on their way into the 8 despite the brutal murder of their coach midway through the 2015 season.

The draw may well be 'challenging', but I doubt they will be too phased by playing 1 or 2 extra 'top' sides in their double ups this season after the real challenges they faced last season.

In any case, history tells us that inevitably 1-2 of the sides classed as difficult during the off-season will drop out of the 8 and 1-2 of the sides classed as easy will step up. It's not something I put a lot of stock in.

Last edited:
This is unusual.. Would love to hear your reasons.
Whats places are unusual? Crows were unlucky in 2015. Saints and Giants, both are improving, they can't get worse.
A few have the Magpies in the 8.
Pretty sure it was similar to my prediction in the ladder prediction thread a few months ago.

Collingwood have had great first half of seasons last 2 years, but fallen off a cliff in the back half. Forward line is still a concern with lack of tall foil for Cloke, but Treloar is a very good addition to an already pretty good midfield. Backline is solid. Could easily see Collingwood making 6,7,8th position.
Will be around the same wins as last year maybe a couple more! We are one of the worst teams in the comp for kicking efficiency. we have no composure when we go inside forward 50. I think we will improve but not enough to push top 6

We also struggle to keep our players on the park!

Last edited:
1. hawthorn
2. fremantle
3. port adelaide
4. west coast
5. sydney
6. collingwood (play carlton and essendon twice)
7. geelong (play essendon twice)
8. richmond (play essendon twice)
------------
9. bulldogs
10. adelaide
11. GWS
12. north
13. GCs
14. melbourne
15. st kilda
16. brisbane
-mariana trench-
17. carlton
18. essendon

nothing between 6th and 12th hence the draws being decisive.

We've seen this group still go on to make finals (where they beat the highly fancied Bulldogs on their home deck), and hand out beltings to finalists North, Richmond and the eventual grand finalists (in one of the performances of the season by any club) on their way into the 8 despite the brutal murder of their coach midway through the 2015 season.

The draw may well be 'challenging', but I doubt they will be too phased by playing 1 or 2 extra 'top' sides in their double ups this season after the real challenges they faced last season.

In any case, history tells us that inevitably 1-2 of the sides classed as difficult during the off-season will drop out of the 8 and 1-2 of the sides classed as easy will step up. It's not something I put a lot of stock in.
Wrong. Bulldogs home deck is Etihad, where you got smashed. You kicked straight in the final at the MCG and while losing almost every other category, against the 4th youngest team to play last year. They will get better, as most players hadn't even had 1 or 2 preseasons.
They will play first 8 games there next year. So, could be 7/1 or 6/2 or even 8/0 after eight games, before playing the dees at MCG.

Last edited:
1. hawthorn
2. fremantle
3. port adelaide
4. west coast
5. sydney
6. collingwood (play carlton and essendon twice)
7. geelong (play essendon twice)
8. richmond (play essendon twice)
------------
9. bulldogs
10. adelaide
11. GWS
12. north
13. GCs
14. melbourne
15. st kilda
16. brisbane
-mariana trench-
17. carlton
18. essendon

nothing between 6th and 12th hence the draws being decisive.
We play bombers once not twice

Back