Goddard and Maguire - Who goes out when they come back in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speck

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hard choice isn't it!

L Fisher has been superb as a run with midfielder, remember he was a replacement for Gehrig!

R Clarke does look slow and sluggish but we all know he has the potential to be great and the only way for him to be great is to spend time on the park for the Saints not Scorps.

Leigh Fisher did another job last night - this time on Judd (mind you he's not near his best yet). Attard, Birss and Baker all perform this role - so Leigh has to be League's highest standard to retain his spot at this role. (Attard wont be back in the Saints this year, but will be primed for inclusion into our main list in 2009).

Goddard will probably be back next week. Maguire a couple of weeks after that. The players who make way for either can count themselves unlucky, but they make way for real quality, and are unlikely to be out of the team for long. There are always niggles, players who come in to play a specific role against a specific opponent, form changes etc..

very, very hard. it is so good this year for the saints to have this depth and this is a good worry to have. its rare for the saints to worry about whos going to be dropped, usually we worry if we have enough players to field a team. definately goddard and maguire to come in, baker as well after the suspension, and dempsters still injured, not sure if he'll get a game. raph clarke would have to amaze to keep his spot at the moment. Grant Thomas beleives the Raph could be all-australian if he gets his body right, but i personally am nervous when he gets the ball, he may think he is better than he really is. leigh fisher came in as an emergency against the swans, usually plays back line but in absence of baker has tagged and done a good job. maybe raph clarke, fiora, leigh fisher and i hate to say it, Geary have to watch their spots. Gearys played 2 great games but we may opt for experience. its great to have C.Gardiner, C.Jones, S.Birss, Geary, Fiora, Dempster to add strenght as fringe players with Goddard, Maguire and baker still to come in, possibly the injured Dempster as well. one word for the saints this year: Depth.

Raphael Clarke and Aaron Fiora out.
Brendan Goddard and Matthew Maguire in.
give raph and fiora the chance to work way back in team. replace the likes of Geary or L.Fisher(who has impressed me over the last couple of years).

Milne has cemented his spot after last night but needs to be consistent becuase schneider is more valuable then Milne in my opininion. i love this selection dillema, becuase its a good one to have! Go saints!

How about :

Fiora out,
Gilbert takes Fiora's spot,
Goddard into Gilberts spot?

ATM

out Fiora, Geary

in Goose, BJ...

Then, out fisher, in Baker.. so hard to do it, but it'll happen.. l fisher was not in the starting 22 untill he tagged goodes.. well done to him

Also..

B. Goddard Hughton Gilbert
HB S Fisher Maguire Gram

Imposing, isn't it.. Dont forget, L Fisher, Baker, R Clarke, X.. can all play there

Not sure Maguire will be able to hold down CHB given his leg and foot problems. Would really miss his drive though.

What are people's thoughts on Goddard playing CHB? Could make this position his own for 5 -6 years. Or would he move to the midfield?

Not sure Maguire will be able to hold down CHB given his leg and foot problems. Would really miss his drive though.

What are people's thoughts on Goddard playing CHB? Could make this position his own for 5 -6 years. Or would he move to the midfield?

He's trimmed down a fair bit which would suggest more a midfield type running role. I think his best skill in his kicking wouldn't be fully utilised if he was played a key position back.

i spose we've got to remember, over the next few weeks while these players come back in, and i hate to say it, but we're bound to have a few injuries. a few players mite miss a few weeks with injury and we wont need to drop anyone. the advantage of having this new-found depth is that injuries dont mean as much. so we may not have to worry bout dropping too many players:)

then again, we could be like geelong last year and have about 2 minor injuries for the year.

Gilbert out.
Goddard in.

Imo, gilbert has not done very well the last two weeks, I've been happy with Raph.

Meguire will be a few weeks away imo and will not be up to scratch.

I thought Fiora was alright, he is gaining confidence (notice him use his body in the centre contest after his specki), let him be for the time being.

Baker coming back puts more pressure on selection. Wouldn't mind seeing Armatige or Birrs in the midfield either :) Or Charlie Gardiner or Clinton Jones or everyone else :D

I think its ridiculous to drop L.Fisher, he's very handy, and very solid, can play in the middle, forward or backline.

Gilbert out.
Goddard in.

Imo, gilbert has not done very well the last two weeks, I've been happy with Raph.

Meguire will be a few weeks away imo and will not be up to scratch.

I thought Fiora was alright, he is gaining confidence (notice him use his body in the centre contest after his specki), let him be for the time being.

Baker coming back puts more pressure on selection. Wouldn't mind seeing Armatige or Birrs in the midfield either :) Or Charlie Gardiner or Clinton Jones or everyone else :D

I think its ridiculous to drop L.Fisher, he's very handy, and very solid, can play in the middle, forward or backline.

Gilbo is a star of the future - Raph is not.

I don't think anyone said to drop Leigh F? No way is he a forward though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither Raph nor Fiora will be dropped - if Jones got dropped ahead of Fiora last week, that says something. Lyon is saying to both Fiora and Raph, "Look, here's your chance. You're going to be given a good run for a few weeks, with plenty of grace given you. But if you stuff up over that time, it's over, say goodnight. There are plenty of great players coming up and you will have to wait until they all get gastro before you play for the St Kilda Football Club again. Make the most of this chance - it's your last."

For that reason, Geary will be dropped for Beeg, either this week (preferable) or the week after for Geelong. When that happens, Geary will be thinking the exact same thing Jones probably was: "Don't worry, it's just a matter of time... I have been told that I am part of the future for this team." If Raph or Fiora get dropped, any confidence they have will have been permanently irradicated, and they'll play off the rest of the year in futility with Mini in the Scorpions.

Neither Raph nor Fiora will be dropped - if Jones got dropped ahead of Fiora last week, that says something. Lyon is saying to both Fiora and Raph, "Look, here's your chance. You're going to be given a good run for a few weeks, with plenty of grace given you. But if you stuff up over that time, it's over, say goodnight. There are plenty of great players coming up and you will have to wait until they all get gastro before you play for the St Kilda Football Club again. Make the most of this chance - it's your last."

For that reason, Geary will be dropped for Beeg, either this week (preferable) or the week after for Geelong. When that happens, Geary will be thinking the exact same thing Jones probably was: "Don't worry, it's just a matter of time... I have been told that I am part of the future for this team." If Raph or Fiora get dropped, any confidence they have will have been permanently irradicated, and they'll play off the rest of the year in futility with Mini in the Scorpions.

Totally disagree with this post. If Geary were to be dropped as you suggest I seriously doubt you would have seen him play 90% of the two games we've played so far. He has proven himself worthy of a spot in my opinion.

Gilbert out. Goddard in. Imo, gilbert has not done very well the last two weeks, I've been happy with Raph.

Gilbert has been played the last couple of weeks as the more traditional backman, which at this stage of his career doesn't suit him like a running back flanker or swinging wingman role would. He still has greater attributes (running, tackling, disposal) that we'd definitely need over the next couple of weeks.

Gilbert has been played the last couple of weeks as the more traditional backman, which at this stage of his career doesn't suit him like a running back flanker or swinging wingman role would. He still has greater attributes (running, tackling, disposal) that we'd definitely need over the next couple of weeks.

But his last two performance's have not been spectacular, we've all seen how good he can be and we all love him, but this year, there's not much room for error. Can't have a few bad games in a row because there's going to be pressure from other's wanting/pushing for selection.

Totally disagree with this post. If Geary were to be dropped as you suggest I seriously doubt you would have seen him play 90% of the two games we've played so far. He has proven himself worthy of a spot in my opinion.
I know this sounds paradoxical, but it's precisely BECAUSE he's so obviously proven himself worth of a spot that he can afford to be dropped. It's not going to break his spirits if he gets dropped, it'll just make him hungry and frustrated (in a good way), because he knows (and Lyon will make sure he knows) he SHOULD be there, but there's just no room at the inn.

You try doing the same trick with Raph or Fiora, two serial scorpians, and they will be shot. They need to be believed in. When we do that, we get marks like that one Fiora took on the wing against Carlton. Fiora needs that flare to be the player he should be, but he won't have the confidence to show that flare if he's dropped again so soon. And without that confidence, that flare, he is a nothing player. With it, he will be fantastic.

Shame about Raph... it'll take a lot of strength for him to come back I think from here.

Ya reckon? Surely he's got some sort of intestinal fortitude. Nick Davis can't be too happy about being dropped after the Saints game, but you'd think he will get back. Brad Johnson said before his 300th that he had been dropped twice in his career.

I just think Raph has not always got games on merit, and needs 4-5 good ones in a row with Casey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back