2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So the 2s play Brisbane at the Austworld Centre Oval on Saturday morning at 11am and we now have a good idea as to who will be lining up in the VFL after our AFL team was named tonight. Mac Andrew would have to be the most obvious one that people will be interested in and I'm sure there will be plenty of eyes on Read and Graham as they try to push their case for an AFL debut. Guys like Lemmens, Long, Clohesy, Moyle, Jeffrey and Farrar will no doubt be trying to ask the question too.

This is your VFL list

Gold Coast Suns VFL list​

FIRST NAMESURNAMEDOBHEIGHT (cm)STATUS
ZACHARYO'BRIEN10/27/1990183CMSVFL primary list
JAMESFRAWLEY9/20/1988193CMSVFL primary list
THOMASREEVES1/16/2001175CMSVFL primary list
THOMASFIELDS12/19/1992192CMSVFL primary list
CHARLIEELLIOTT10/28/2005180CMSVFL development list: Cat A
FINNHAY6/25/2005181CMSVFL development list: Cat A
HARRYSULLIVAN9/26/2005180CMSVFL development list: Cat A
BEAULESTER - SUTHERLAND12/03/2005186CMSVFL development list: Cat A
MATTHEWEVANS1/09/2005194CMSVFL development list: Cat A
JOSHUAZANKER - CLOSE8/02/2005194CMSVFL development list: Cat A
NATHANKADY10/29/2005185CMSVFL development list: Cat A
BENOBRIEN4/18/2005183CMSVFL development list: Cat A
NICKFRANCIS7/19/2005188CMSVFL development list: Cat A

35, 33 and 31 with Frawley, O’Brien and Fields. Bit of maturity to offset the Academy kids but jeez….

Surprised to see Reeves there after he was cut from Southport.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
ce This is your VFL list

Gold Coast Suns VFL list​

FIRST NAMESURNAMEDOBHEIGHT (cm)STATUS
ZACHARYO'BRIEN10/27/1990183CMSVFL primary list
JAMESFRAWLEY9/20/1988193CMSVFL primary list
THOMASREEVES1/16/2001175CMSVFL primary list
THOMASFIELDS12/19/1992192CMSVFL primary list
CHARLIEELLIOTT10/28/2005180CMSVFL development list: Cat A
FINNHAY6/25/2005181CMSVFL development list: Cat A
HARRYSULLIVAN9/26/2005180CMSVFL development list: Cat A
BEAULESTER - SUTHERLAND12/03/2005186CMSVFL development list: Cat A
MATTHEWEVANS1/09/2005194CMSVFL development list: Cat A
JOSHUAZANKER - CLOSE8/02/2005194CMSVFL development list: Cat A
NATHANKADY10/29/2005185CMSVFL development list: Cat A
BENOBRIEN4/18/2005183CMSVFL development list: Cat A
NICKFRANCIS7/19/2005188CMSVFL development list: Cat A
Tom Fields? As in Neville Fields' son that grew up on the Gold Coast, got drafted to Carlton and has played local footy for Southport in recent years?

Nice to see James Frawley is going to play for our 2s again. Wonder if that completely rules out a Rance return...

35, 33 and 31 with Frawley, O’Brien and Fields. Bit of maturity to offset the Academy kids but jeez….

Surprised to see Reeves there after he was cut from Southport.
I think it's definitely good to see some mature players in our VFL side, particularly local ones. We've been running with very young lineups for a long time with our VFL side and have really only gotten away with it because we have an extended AFL list. That'll be gone soon so I think it's important to start the transition to a more standard VFL model that incorporates mature local players. Helps create deeper roots within the local footy community too.

Agree it would be good to see local talent given a shot on a VFL list other than Southport

We won by a couple of points in a pretty average game according to the Lions board.

7c621bb1ee5e272f99b17c1809913bd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some decent footage of the Sharks game from two weeks ago between 12:26-20:48 in the video below. A few things I noticed were - the Sharks won the game by 20 points, Ethan read has shaved his head completely bald and appeared to be mostly playing in the backline where he was holding his own as well as winning one-on-ones against a big bodied key forward in Wylie Buzza but also rotated through the ruck at stages, Bodhi Uwland seemed to get a fair bit of the ball all over the ground and even went forward to kick a goal at one stage which probably explains why Dimma picked him for opening round the following week, Joel Jeffrey was playing in the backline but didn't appear to be doing anything special, Tsitas played on ball and looked solid, Caleb Nancarrow played forward in the first half.

nah, the practice games concluded yesterday. All focus on round 1 now.
So our 2s have Richmond at the Carrara training oval in R1 on Saturday morning, which means we'll essentially know who is going to play the next day against the Bulldogs in the AFL. It's our first ever season opener as the reigning premiers and we've got some interesting players to keep an eye on - in particular our academy graduates in Read, Rogers and Graham. Not sure if Lombard will be available but I wouldn't be surprised to see an academy prospect or two running around in this game.

Richmond don't seem to have a lot of depth on their list at the moment so I think it's fair to say we should win this one.

COACH: Tate Kaeslar (second stint, first season, – replacing Josh Drummond)
CAPTAIN: TBA
VFL LISTED PLAYERS: 13 (4 primary, 9 development)

STAYING: VFL: Finn Hay, Ben O’Brien

ARRIVING: VFL: Charlie Elliott (Palm Beach-Currumbin/Suns Academy), Matthew Evans (Broadbeach/Suns Academy), Nick Francis (Bond University/Suns Academy), James Frawley (retirement), Nathan Kady (Labrador/Suns Academy), Beau Lester-Sutherland (Palm Beach-Currumbin/Suns Academy), Zach O’Brien (retirement), Tom Reeves (Southport), Harry Sullivan (Labrador/Suns Academy/Sandringham Dragons), Josh Zanker-Close (Broadbeach/Suns Academy)

DEPARTING: VFL: Marlin Corbett (Subiaco), Taine Dawson (Southport), Will Derrington (Southport), Jared Eckersley (Essendon VFL), Morgan Ferres (Sturt), Cody Harrington (Southport), Campbell Lake (Southport), Nick Williams (Southport), Josh Young (Labrador)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back