Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Rutten get the send off he richly deserves. A class act.

Other than that, another meaningless big last round victory against a bottom team with the pressure off, while we all mourn how the other results of the weekend didn't go our way. 2013 all over again.

It's sick. We're sick. Terminally.

Us here, or the club?

Haven't seen anyone on BF blaming the results of this week. Win more games earlier in the year and we play finals. All our own doing

Today's game summed up our season

Some good footy mixed with an awful 3rd qtr that would have cost us against a quality side

We are not only consistent from week to week but from qtr to qtr and even within qtrs

This side has lots to do to win back trust

Good

- How much better we look with Smith up around the ball more. It was a low intensity dead rubber today but his vision, creativity and smarts around the contest give us an element we don't have otherwise. Was also on display a bit in the last quarter versus freo earlier in the season.

- Truck, champion footballer and champion bloke

The Bad

- Goals to the opposition from turnovers; been killing us all season.

The Good:
Truck - legend, well done on a marvellous career
Sloane - best
Smith - Best game in a month, puts him back in AA talks
Talia - AA CHB surely?
Sauce - Also in line, 22 hit outs to advantage
Eddie
Truck going off with one last goal with his last kick, just how he started his career
Lenny - You will be hard pressed to find a more universally loved footballer than this bloke

The Bad:
Game was meh
3rd quarter and first 15 minutes were awful

THE GREATLY AWESOMENESS.
Eddie Betts lining up for number 6 and then going to hand it off, I went NO! but then saw it was Truck and it made having to watch the 3rd quarter live all so much more bearable. Saw Truck's first three goals live and saw his last, well done and chose the right time to retire.

The Great.
Sloandog. He was still gut running and chasing with 5 minutes to go...hope to see him run out for his 300th and over 150 as Captain.
Eddie Betts...the recruit of the year. Worth every dollar and will be better next year with a new forwards coach. Should be AA.
Talia...Gave the Volt another bath, lock for AA full back.
Seeing the Crouch brothers and Smith in at a centre bounce. Will see that plenty next year.
Mexican wave...never gets old.
Top Avg crowd with 48,056. Well done!

The Good...Almost Great.
Brad Crouch...over the break, you need to tidy up your field kicking, but you sir are going to be a GUN!
Matt Crouch...over the break work your arse off because that will be the last time you are sub...ever.
Smithers!! Back to what we know you can do. Where were you last week when I needed this sort of game in my fantasy prelim???
Matty J. Another solid performance. Wish you would take the game on more and use your leg as the true weapon it is.
Kedge...Get fit young man...best 22 for you next year.
Sauce...if you get injured my friend...we are STUFFED!!!!!!!!!! Should be AA.
Means that some spuds have played their last game for the AFC. Trades, rumours...hope of something being achieved.

The Okay.
Brown...The invisible man.
Truck...did his job, just made it over the line. Well done on a great career.
Hendo....Should be on a wing and not a defenders armpit hair. Squibbed contests and cost us a goal in the third...sort of made up for it by taking a hard mark going back. Plenty of work for him over the summer.
Tex...Great to see him get through the season unscathed. Needs to work on his lead up work and where he leads to. Should have easily bagged 5 today, but tries to play too much behind his man.
Lyons...almost in the meh basket, but did some good things and slotted a couple of good goals.
Dangerfield...did enough, but man his field kicking is just putrid atm...one good kick all day.
Douglas...for a senior player, his awareness and decision to just jam it on the boot is really wearing thin...needs a big PS...just not the good Douggy this year.
Thommo...did enough...can see more SANFL time in the 2nd half of the season in his future next year.
David Mookay...How! How did you get a 4 year deal?? Okay in a season of okay.

The Meh.
Martin..did some good...did some bad...should have started as the sub.
Pods...should have swapped with JJ at half time.
JJ as a defender...just don't get him to do a short kick....would like to see him use his pace...has bought into I'm fast press...spud for getting caught HTB. Gave away three goals. Was there for a lesson...may have to use a bat to get it to sink in.

The Skin On Your Elbows Ugly.
Our tackling...we bounce off when we try to tackle anyone who is moving in a forward direction.
Radar kicking it straight to an unmarked Saints player. Note to Sando...SANFL...or pay him out.
Our first 15 minutes and the third quarter...shite.
Our season.

The WTFarrrrk?
M Crouch as sub...seriously AFC are you totally incompetent?
Sando saying in his presser..."I still shake my head at some of the things I see on the field on game day, but then I realise these boys haven't been taught yet, or they're still learning." Umm isn't that the coaching panel's job Sando?
The empty seats...poor form...Truck retiring, Sloaney's 100th
Not playing Jets. Yet another selection blunder in a season of selection blunders.

Last edited:
Truck goal was great the rest just showed how flawed we are.

Mentally weak ,our accuracy was great - amazing it comes when there is no pressure or expectation on the game. Shows we can kick for goal but crumble when it counts - how many games did we lose with bad kicking.

Tackling again/still is not AFL standard, has been for years and yet nothing is done to improve it.

Sando AGAIN shown up for POOR selection, good on ya BOB you stuck it right up the numpties. And no Cameron, seriously, are we resting him for next week.

Good:
Truck Goal
Thompson, Dangerfield, HENDERSON desperation. where was it when our season was on the line though? want to see more of that in 2015. loved it!
henderson again - will be great with some confidence and pre-season
sloane
jaensch - dayum hes become a gun
smith
kerridge's mongrel
talia

Bad:
St Kilda

Ugly:
Jenkins in defence
Selections - reilly IN, cameron OUT, m.crouch SUB ????!?!

The Good:
Truck's Goal
Lenny breaking the tackles record
Eddie Betts - 51 goals for the season, a very nice return indeed. Now for Tex to at least match that in 2015.
M.Crouch - looked good when he came on
'Milo' Kerridge - like that he can hit the scoreboard as well as tag
The guard of honour by both teams for Lenny and Truck, all class and warmed the heart

The Bad:
It's been said many times already, but if he wasn't retiring, why oh why was Reilly selected?
Jenkins down back. Might be worth another though try if it toughens him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back