Review Good Bad Ugly V Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrights a guy we can beat top 4 sides when he is in the team. That's good depth and afl standard for mine.

That's ok. Let's just stick with the same old same old.

We will only ever achieve the same that way.

Hats off to Grigg - watched him very closely in the replay tonight - was a great super sub. He missed out on about 4 free kicks as well, great to see someone with elite kicking skills in the side. He better get a full game next week.

He also did a great shepherd to allow Danger that run out of the centre that set Dougies goal up.

Grigg should be playing every game for the rest of the season.

why do you only see crows player through rosed coloured glasses.

We sometime just hace to accept, not every player we have is a supertstar. As soon as any of our players had 1 good game, they are branded as superstars according to you.

We are 8th - just - not top

Whether we're 8th or 58th, Wrights last month was quality. Yes we know hes not a star but we also know what he should give us.
He was awful on Sunday no doubt, but he has some runs on the board.

Went to the game, what a win! Good to give it to those pie flogs behind me :D:D, they were sooking over frees every single time a pies player went down! It was great to give them a wave goodbye as they trudded off after Tex kicked the sealer & ended their finals hopes.
Anyway I thought our handball happy game plan seems to be getting better in terms of getting out of traffic fast with hand balls. We seem to be able get out of trouble & getting space very quickly instead of just long bombing to a contest. Our forward line structure is a joke, needs to be looked at.

Brad Crouch is a bull in the middle, he laid 9 tackles for the game and was always in and around the contest. Can't wait to see both brothers in action together. Mitch Grigg's class was so evident yesterday as soon as he came on the ground, such a lethal boot and great composure because he came on when the heat was really on, he fitted in seamlessly. I really want to see Grigg in the side every single week.

I don't understand the hate for Pods, do you guys realize Pods is a team player? Which means the guy refrains from getting a touch and taps the ball instead to the advantage for a goal. He did this at least 3 times yesterday, he's done it the whole year. Very smart player and the ultimate team player. His little taps won't even count as goal assists but the coaches do notice it, that's why he's never dropped. He also crashes packs.

Our team looks so much faster now too, no Truck, No Reilly no porpz. We have speed on every line now and it's a great thing to have. Henderson is looking good, played well in 1on1 contests and I'd be looking for him to really break out in the next few weeks and have some dominant performances. Brodie Smith..what can I say 24 disposals at 100% efficiency? That's what happens when he's not tagged, I've got no idea what Buckley was doing deciding to tag Sloane, he should have put MacAffer straight onto Smith, you can't let a player of Smith's class run around like a loose dog with no attention, another Rendell special. Jaensch and Martin have improved out of sight, once Martin gets even more games I think he'll really blossom into a better than average player. Great attitude and run & carry. I'm really proud of both of these guys because they never gave up and worked hard at their footy, now it's paying off for them. Seems like our selection committee have put a greater influence on these sort of players over the last few months, guys with a little bit of pace and run and carry, we've kept the faith in them and now it's paying off which is good. We've got some speed and carry around on each line now, I'll also add to the fact that Cameron will come straight back in once fit & then there's more speed to our team.

Also I'll add that this team we're playing right now, it's the youngest we've had in the last few years. I'd go on and add it's probably the youngest team we've fielded consistently in at least 15 years. I really can't wait until our average age hits 2200. Which will probably be for the 2016 season, I feel this is when we will really hurt teams, it's when we'll start to put sides away & bury them unlike how we do now. In terms of age and avg games our team is most comparable to the Melbourne team, it's pretty amazing really.
Nice write up !

First time the Crows played Collingwood at Victoria Park years ago, the Crows supporters needed a Police cordon to protect them from the thousands of Collingwood supporters that were threatening to lynch them; I remember it on the News. Utterly heinous filth.

Sticking it up them now....twice in one season....and in Melbourne? After winning a Grand Final, this rates as #2 on my list. Thanks OzSparrow - pure gold.

:thumbsu: :)

I was there mate! Round 15, 1991. We were spat on and hurled abuse by the ferals after the Pies smashed us by 123 points.

What a shithole that place was. Suited the ferals who went there to watch footy. My one and only visit to Vic Park. Never returned.

Hate them to this day. Worst supporters in the AFL - by far!

I would love for a player in Pods position to put the ball on the ground and then "pace" out the 5 steps to where the opposition are ready to pounce - to show the umpires what really is 5 metres not 3 and a bit.

Or even why can't the umpire pace off five metres from the player with the ball, they normally like flapping around being the centre of attention - here than can do something usefull.

Agree. was asking him through the tv to do this. would prob be called play on...:rolleyes: I think the vanishing foam used in the WC would work great in this instance. it takes forever to get all the players back anyway, why not just spray a line?

I'd also like to see the umpires give a 50m penalty when the defenders encroach. sometimes they'll run right in within 2 or 3 meters immediately after the mark is taken. it's a deliberate attempt to slow the play down and create pressure. Anywhere else on the field, at any other time and its an automatic 50m penalty. For some reason they let it go when a player takes a mark in the pocket.

I was there mate! Round 15, 1991. We were spat on and hurled abuse by the ferals after the Pies smashed us by 123 points.

What a shithole that place was. Suited the ferals who went there to watch footy. My one and only visit to Vic Park. Never returned.

Hate them to this day. Worst supporters in the AFL - by far!

Ha, sounds like a few of us were at that game.

I'll never forget getting abused after the game as we were waiting for the bus to pick us up from the ground - we lost by over 100 points imagine if we had one!!

Was also the only time we went to Victoria Park.

Depends on what we plan to do in the draft, but at the present time, giving a 1 year deal to Thompson wouldn't be the end of the world.

Replenishing the list sadly is going to take two drafts and i could think of a handful of players that deserve to be delisted before Thompson.
please name them ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL site's Smart Replay isn't working, sign up for the free 2 week trial of the AFL Live app.

Well worth the $90 for a year, I reckon. Air Play games to TV and quality is completely acceptable (I do have NBN tho).

please name them ?

Delisted/"Forced Retired"

Sam Shaw
Jason Porplyzia
Angus Graham
Shaun Mckernan
Lewis Johnston
Brent Rielly
Jared Petrenko
Cam Ellis-Yolmen

I would delist all 8 before even touching Luke Thompson. Even if that meant carrying and underdone forward as depth, that said, i'd also go to 3 tall forwards with this system.

Agree. was asking him through the tv to do this. would prob be called play on...:rolleyes: I think the vanishing foam used in the WC would work great in this instance. it takes forever to get all the players back anyway, why not just spray a line?

I'd also like to see the umpires give a 50m penalty when the defenders encroach. sometimes they'll run right in within 2 or 3 meters immediately after the mark is taken. it's a deliberate attempt to slow the play down and create pressure. Anywhere else on the field, at any other time and its an automatic 50m penalty. For some reason they let it go when a player takes a mark in the pocket.

Everyone suggesting Pods do this - Steve Johnson did it last year v Hawthorn. Put the ball on the ground and paced out 5m. Ended up in a 50m penalty being paid.

Went to the game, what a win! Good to give it to those pie flogs behind me :D:D, they were sooking over frees every single time a pies player went down! It was great to give them a wave goodbye as they trudded off after Tex kicked the sealer & ended their finals hopes.
Anyway I thought our handball happy game plan seems to be getting better in terms of getting out of traffic fast with hand balls. We seem to be able get out of trouble & getting space very quickly instead of just long bombing to a contest. Our forward line structure is a joke, needs to be looked at.

Brad Crouch is a bull in the middle, he laid 9 tackles for the game and was always in and around the contest. Can't wait to see both brothers in action together. Mitch Grigg's class was so evident yesterday as soon as he came on the ground, such a lethal boot and great composure because he came on when the heat was really on, he fitted in seamlessly. I really want to see Grigg in the side every single week.

I don't understand the hate for Pods, do you guys realize Pods is a team player? Which means the guy refrains from getting a touch and taps the ball instead to the advantage for a goal. He did this at least 3 times yesterday, he's done it the whole year. Very smart player and the ultimate team player. His little taps won't even count as goal assists but the coaches do notice it, that's why he's never dropped. He also crashes packs.

Our team looks so much faster now too, no Truck, No Reilly no porpz. We have speed on every line now and it's a great thing to have. Henderson is looking good, played well in 1on1 contests and I'd be looking for him to really break out in the next few weeks and have some dominant performances. Brodie Smith..what can I say 24 disposals at 100% efficiency? That's what happens when he's not tagged, I've got no idea what Buckley was doing deciding to tag Sloane, he should have put MacAffer straight onto Smith, you can't let a player of Smith's class run around like a loose dog with no attention, another Rendell special. Jaensch and Martin have improved out of sight, once Martin gets even more games I think he'll really blossom into a better than average player. Great attitude and run & carry. I'm really proud of both of these guys because they never gave up and worked hard at their footy, now it's paying off for them. Seems like our selection committee have put a greater influence on these sort of players over the last few months, guys with a little bit of pace and run and carry, we've kept the faith in them and now it's paying off which is good. We've got some speed and carry around on each line now, I'll also add to the fact that Cameron will come straight back in once fit & then there's more speed to our team.

Also I'll add that this team we're playing right now, it's the youngest we've had in the last few years. I'd go on and add it's probably the youngest team we've fielded consistently in at least 15 years. I really can't wait until our average age hits 2200. Which will probably be for the 2016 season, I feel this is when we will really hurt teams, it's when we'll start to put sides away & bury them unlike how we do now. In terms of age and avg games our team is most comparable to the Melbourne team, it's pretty amazing really.

Pods has been great all year I reckon.
It wasn't that long ago we were all debating who should be dropped out of the big four once Lynchy returned....keep 'em all and work Pods and Lynchy up the ground relentlessly
This was a refreshing read.
Thanks earlsta.

Hats off to Grigg - watched him very closely in the replay tonight - was a great super sub. He missed out on about 4 free kicks as well, great to see someone with elite kicking skills in the side. He better get a full game next week.
There was one that PO'd me off bigtime since he got tackled high, then about 15 seconds later the umps called the same thing for Dayne Beams after the ballup.

Not saying that at all. It's not all black and white and extreme measures.

But to get better, we have to find opportunities in the 22 for other players who have larger ceilings.

Are you going to trade some of out X factor players to open up these opportunities? i doubt it and rightfully so.

therefore, it only leaves a select few players who fit into that demographic. Martin, Jeansch and Wright IMO fit that category. We need to increase the teams ceiling of improvement to bridge that gap between us and Sydney, Hawks and Freo.

As a club, we are very conservative and don't make the hard call. We don't do that. Whether that be based on Trigg philosophy of not bottoming out, I don't know but right now we are not good enough to say we will compete for a flag and I feel we will stick with the known formula and only achieve the same as we have in the past.

Whether we're 8th or 58th, Wrights last month was quality. Yes we know hes not a star but we also know what he should give us.
He was awful on Sunday no doubt, but he has some runs on the board.

We seem to have a massive amount of players with plenty of runs on the board - yet, we have nothing to show for it.

Yep nothing...... We didn't make the 8 or anything.

So now, making the 8 is something to be happy about?

Lets win one (a final that is) first before saying how awesome we are.

638 days since our last finals victory.
1789 for our second to last finals victory.

yep - making the 8 is special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back