Politics Good Politicians

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Somebody in another thread said there's no such thing as a good politician.

Given the dire state of Western politics at the moment, I thought it would be worth bringing to light some of the better politicians from around the world to show that sometimes they are useful.

The first which sprung to my mind is Jose Mujica, former President of Uruguay who has a fascinating life story and still an amazing President.

Fought against the Dictators
Spent a lot of time in harsh prison conditions
As President, he legalised cannabis, same sex marriage and abortion
When he filed his interests, it was just a Volkswagon Beetle which he continued to drive as President.
He stayed living on his Chrysanthemum farm rather than taking up residence in the Presidential Palace

"Life can set us a lot of snares, a lot of bumps, we can fail a thousand times, in life, in love, in the social struggle, but, if we search for it, we'll have the strength to get up again and start over. The most beautiful thing about the day is that it dawns. There is always a dawn after the night has passed. Don't forget it, kids. The only losers are the ones who stop fighting"

Poor people are those who only work to try to keep an expensive lifestyle and always want more and more.

There are those who believe that power is up above, and they don't notice that it's actually in the hearts of the great masses.

Please share any others, hoping to hear about some other contemporaries I don't know, but also maybe some historic ones.

I'm sure some of the older ones will include problematic stories, but I'm trying to start a positive-political thread rather than the doom and gloom of the state of politics. So let's focus on the positives and not so much on the shortcomings, of which they all will have some, particularly if you go too far back!

Does David Pocock count?
Seems oddly sensible and has surprised many
Of course.

Apart from the Rugby, my favourite vision of him is when Lidia Thorpe describes the sexual assault/harrassment in Parliament.

Pocock is sitting right behind her and looks like he would rip the arms clean-off anyone who dares interject.

All of his policies seem very sane and well considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back