Goulburn Valley FL - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

The lions by 22pts after being well down at 1/2 time with Saad kicking 7 and best player. They still appear to be the team at the moment. Euroa cetainly had their chances and can take some positives from the game

The lions by 22pts after being well down at 1/2 time with Saad kicking 7 and best player. They still appear to be the team at the moment. Euroa cetainly had their chances and can take some positives from the game

Game of two halves for sure - Euroa looked super in the first half, then the Lions got on their bikes and started to move the ball quicker and more direct to earn themselves a good win. Euroa recruits Bonson and Roberts look really lively, Ruane did well (if he was #19), as did Shane Clayton - thought Schotty was very important fro Seymour, Scanlon and Stevenson's 2nd halves first class and I dont think Ive ever seen Brendan Liddell put in a bad game.

Size of the crowd I thought was sensational, far bigger than the final SFNC hosted last year, which in turn provided an amazing atmosphere. Brilliant concept by the two clubs and Im sure next year will be bigger again :thumbsu:

Game of two halves for sure - Euroa looked super in the first half, then the Lions got on their bikes and started to move the ball quicker and more direct to earn themselves a good win. Euroa recruits Bonson and Roberts look really lively, Ruane did well (if he was #19), as did Shane Clayton - thought Schotty was very important fro Seymour, Scanlon and Stevenson's 2nd halves first class and I dont think Ive ever seen Brendan Liddell put in a bad game.

Size of the crowd I thought was sensational, far bigger than the final SFNC hosted last year, which in turn provided an amazing atmosphere. Brilliant concept by the two clubs and Im sure next year will be bigger again :thumbsu:

The biggest crowd at Kings Park possibly ever!:thumbsu:

Haha your joking arent you, the cro3wd was pathetic, yeha the atmosphere was awsome

good to see the lions have a win, thought this game would be a test. unfortunately couldn't make it, DO BUSY WATCHING THE PIES RIP ESSENDON A NEW a-hole!! :thumbsu:

Haha your joking arent you, the cro3wd was pathetic, yeha the atmosphere was awsome

What is a standard crowd at Tat these days?? Surely it must be all away supporters as no man with even half a brain would waste a saturday watching Tat!

The reports circulating tell me the day was a massive hit. Big gate taking which didn't include any veterans and possibly some under 18 supporters as they gate opened up after half time of the seniors.

I just hope that Seymour and Euroa can make it an annual thing and are the only ones who play on Anzac day in the GV. (like essendon v collingwood) Its likely the Sheppartons and Uniteds of this world will spit the dummy and try and steel the concept.

imo Rod Van Reit was the lions best and without him could have been out of the game bye halfe time, once again imo the lions played as bad as i have seen them play in 3 years, the Benalla game was not great either, so they are winning and not playing all that well, good signs or not ?

Any news on games around the league. Heard Paul Newman may have been injured? How bad is it if that is the case?

Echuca 10.12 (72) defeated Shepparton United 8.6 (54)
Mansfield 12.11 (83) defeated Benalla 10.10 (70)
Rochester 23.15 (153) defeated Shepparton 9.15 (69)
Seymour 20.17 (137) defeated Euroa 18.7 (115)
Shepparton Swans 22.8 (140) defeated Kyabram 20.13 (133)
Mooroopna 26.17 (173) defeated Tatura 5.8 (38)

Went and had a look at the Rochy / Shepp game today. The game was pretty average with the skills ordinary early. Rochy got out to a lead and were never really headed.

Deuscher was best on followed by Bowen and Watson for Rochy while I thought Allan and Chapman were the best for Shepp. Rochy ended up winning by 14 goals, but they over used the footy at times and should have probably kicked 30 goals rather than 23...

First GV game I have seen this year and Rochy's style has changed quiet a lot under Schmidt's coaching. Lot more free running and prepared to take a lot of risks. When the skills were on for Rochy, they moved the ball really well and looked very impressive.

Shepp look like they are going to have a long year...

Echuca 10.12 (72) defeated Shepparton United 8.6 (54)
Mansfield 12.11 (83) defeated Benalla 10.10 (70)
Rochester 23.15 (153) defeated Shepparton 9.15 (69)
Seymour 20.17 (137) defeated Euroa 18.7 (115)
Shepparton Swans 22.8 (140) defeated Kyabram 20.13 (133)
Mooroopna 26.17 (173) defeated Tatura 5.8 (38)
didn't see this game looks like a good effort from Ky may have been a little unlucky: maybe some good results not to far away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news on games around the league. Heard Paul Newman may have been injured? How bad is it if that is the case?

Can't believe Ky got within 7 points, heard they hit the front in the last quarter after being down by 7 goals at one stage, newy is apparently ok, just a little sore, anyone on here see the game and can give me a little bit of an insight into who played well etc?

imo Rod Van Reit was the lions best and without him could have been out of the game bye halfe time, once again imo the lions played as bad as i have seen them play in 3 years, the Benalla game was not great either, so they are winning and not playing all that well, good signs or not ?

Very good signs phanto, at a guess 5-6 missed obviously Joffa, Kingy and the O'Keefe boys watched on, as did Spargo so bit to come in plus there was one more whom I cant think of at present - agree on Rocket was in the Lions better 4 quarter contributors :thumbsu:

Ky played really well hitting the front by 13 points at one stage after being down by 40 odd points. Not a bad effort considering Butler and Deledio wern't out there. Balraj is still getting used to Dirty's style of play, Newwy killed it. Withers showed some promising signs for the future. Ky are definately looking up and will give all teams a good battle throughout the year. Could sneak into the finals if some close ones go their way. :thumbsu:

Ky played really well hitting the front by 13 points at one stage after being down by 40 odd points. Not a bad effort considering Butler and Deledio wern't out there. Balraj is still getting used to Dirty's style of play, Newwy killed it. Withers showed some promising signs for the future. Ky are definately looking up and will give all teams a good battle throughout the year. Could sneak into the finals if some close ones go their way. :thumbsu:

doubt it

shepp swans must be the most overrated team since the early millenium essendon side. every pre-season they promise the goods but when it comes to showing it out on the park they aren't able to deliver

shepp swans must be the most overrated team since the early millenium essendon side. every pre-season they promise the goods but when it comes to showing it out on the park they aren't able to deliver

They made the grand Final last year, surely they are doing something right and we're beaten by a few goals by Seymour which is no disgrace. This year they are slow out of the blocks but I'm sure they will hit form in the second half of the year when they get back some quality players. I'm sure they will take the win over Ky too, who will be the real improvers this season. I wouldn't right them off yet.

Got Seymour next week so will give an update after this game on if they are the best team yet again going around. Didn't watch us play Euroa, (had my sisters wedding to go to) but Mooroopna is a better drilled and quicker team than the Swans. Swans are a bigger physical team though and will play finals. Those of you who don't think so, what are the 6 teams that will keep them out?

Early Prediction Ladder: Mooroopna, Seymour, Euroa, Swans, Mansfield, Rochester, Kyabram, Benalla, Echuca, United, Tatura, Bears. :D:D

cheers mate, great to hear, wish i was out there with the boys as it sounds like they will get a few wins on the board this year. i'll just have to settle with playing for the wandsworth demons over here in london.

i believe any side that can get that close to a quality side like the swans is a seious contender for finals, so all the best to the ky boys coz it has been a lean few years!!

Article in the Shepp News today about Tank McPhee missing this week with injury. Pushes his 400th game back from an away game against Mooroopna in round 7 to a game against his former coach at home with Ky in round 8.

If he gets up for this week of course.

Challenge answered
Simon Cameron
A 14-goals-to-eight second half helped Seymour maintain its unbeaten start to the Goulburn Valley Football League season in its Anzac Day clash against Euroa.
But it took a late burst from explosive forward Saad Saad to ensure the Lions took the points against a spirited Magpies outfit at Kings Park, 20.17 (137) to 18.7 (115).
The Magpies led by 20 points at half-time and extended it to 26 points two minutes into the third when Rohan Bonson slotted through a major after earning a free kick from a strong tackle.
But after that the Lions found their groove.
They piled on five unanswered goals in a seven-minute burst and ended the third period ahead by 14 points.
And three last-quarter goals from Saad, including one after a crowd-pleasing screamer, ensured Seymour held on for a hard-fought win after the Magpies twice cut the lead to only 10 points.
Lions coach Bernie Haberman was disappointed with his side's execution in the first half, believing it gave up too many easy turnovers that led to scoring opportunities for Euroa.
Haberman asked for accountable footy from his players at half-time, and it worked.
``That's the style of footy we want to play. If we play accountable footy we reckon we'll be hard to beat,'' Haberman said.
He said the three-time defending premier still had room for improvement, having suffered lapses in all three matches so far this season.
``It was the second quarter for the first two weeks and the first and second quarters this week,'' he said.
``In terms of setting standards we expect of our players, there is room for improvement.
``Having said that, there has to be rewards and encouragement for winning, and I thought we responded well today.''
Euroa coach David Putamorsi lamented his team's inability to change the tempo of the match when threatened in the third quarter.
``We just have to learn how to play better tempo footy against good sides,'' he said,
Saad finished the day with seven goals after starting the match on the bench, while Luke Stevenson added five and Paul Scanlon three.
Relton Roberts and Scott Grainger both kicked four for Euroa, while Craig Bamford snared three.

Milestone must wait
Rochester legend Anthony ``Tank'' McPhee's 400th game has been pushed back by at least one week after he missed the Tigers' win against Shepparton with a groin strain.
McPhee started the Goulburn Valley Football League season on 393 games and would have raised the 400-game milestone in round seven away to Mooroopna if fit and in form.
But missing Saturday's match pushes the mark back one week to the Tigers' home game against Kyabram.
McPhee was one of three Rochester players who finished the Tigers' round two defeat to Seymour injured on the bench after leaving the field early in the match.
But Rochester's forward line did not suffer from his absence as it romped to an 84-point win against Shepparton at Deakin Reserve on Saturday.
Speaking before the match, McPhee said he was just keen to get to the milestone and shift the focus onto the performances of his club.
As the first player touted to reach 400 Goulburn Valley Football League senior games, McPhee has been in the spotlight while Rochester has gone about compiling two wins and one loss to start the season.
``I'm a little bit sick of everyone talking about it,'' McPhee said.
``It'll be good to get it out of the road.
``The boys are playing good footy and how the team performs is what matters most.''
McPhee described his injury as minor and said no risks would be taken as he tried to return for Rochester's match at home to Mansfield next week.
While it is unlikely McPhee will face competition for his spot in the team, the Rochester forward line fired on all cylinders yesterday with back-from-suspension Elliott Bowen kicking four along with seven other multiple goal-kickers.

Echuca relieved to get first win
Teo Pellizzeri
After two straight losses, an ugly win was a good one for Echuca as it held off Shepparton United to triumph by 18 points in Goulburn Valley Football League at Victoria Park on Saturday.
The Murray Bombers' first win of the season draws them level with Shepparton United on one win and two losses, with the Demons holding eighth spot on percentage from their weekend conqueror.
Echuca captain Colin Durie said it was more relief than celebration after the hard-fought 10.12 (72) to 8.6 (54) win.
United trailed by 20 points at three-quarter-time but kicked to within four points in the final term before two steadying goals for Casey Nance gave Echuca a match-winning lead.
Nance finished top of the goal-kickers for Echuca with three, while Matt Forys led all scorers with four for United.
``It was a scrappy game all day,'' Durie said.
``But we got hands on the ball around the contests when it mattered.''
United midfielders Ryan Normington and Joey Perkovic were the better players for the Demons, Durie saying there was constant pressure through the centre of the park.
But Guy Campbell was Echuca's standout in the ruck and put the ball in its players' hands enough times around the stoppages.
``Guy was the standout, whether it was in the ruck or pushing up to centre half-forward,'' Durie said.
``Casey's goals in the last quarter were vital when he kicked them.
``He's a young bloke with a lot of talent and he plays the half-forward flank to a tee.''
Durie said it was time for Echuca to consolidate on the win with a good performance away to Benalla next week.
``The games don't get any easier from here,'' he said.

Nimble Tigers leave Bears in wake
Teo Pellizzeri
Rochester's quick ball movement cut a swathe through an inaccurate Shepparton as the Tigers ran away to win by 84 points in Goulburn Valley Football League on Saturday.
A near shut-out in the last quarter saw the Tigers ease to a 23.15 (153) to 9.15 (69) win as Shepparton added just a solitary point, from a kick after the siren.
The win gives Rochester a two wins and one loss start to the season, while Shepparton falls behind the ledger at one win and two losses.
Shepparton coach Richard Warburton had called for accurate kicking on goal from his side before the match, but got the opposite as it kicked 1.7 in the first quarter to squander the wind advantage at the Skene St end of Deakin Reserve.
Rochester, a 13-point leader at quarter-time, capitalised on a gust which saw a host of shots from outside the 50m line make the distance with ease in a nine-goal-to-three second term.
Shepparton rallied with the wind advantage in the third quarter to move within 36 points at the final change.
But a dominant aerial display from Rochester's Brad Collins across the half-back line kept the Bears goalless in the final term.
Livewire forward Dylan Cuttriss roved to Rochester centre half-forward Elliott Bowen to great effect as both finished with four goals for the match.
Ash Watson dominated through the centre in the first half, while Ben Deuscher and Clint Whitsed gave the Tigers too many avenues to goal for Shepparton to man-up.
Bears captain Nick Allan flew the flag as the top ball-winner for his side, while Daniel McIntyre and Simon Thorsen showed occasional brilliance.
Free men and quick ball movement out of the backline were Rochester's signature plays and coach Daniel Schmidt said the side had stuck to the game style he was after.
``We moved the ball on our terms today and owned the corridor,'' Schmidt said.
``After finishing with no bench last week it was pleasing to get through with no injuries.''

Cats cap off Vandermeer's 300th
Ashleigh Williamson
Mooroopna has honoured club legend Jeff Vandermeer's 300th senior game in style with a resounding 135-point win against bottom-of-the-table Tatura.
Vandermeer hurt his right knee in round one last year and doctors advised him to give the game away, but he was determined to continue and came back to play the final eight matches of last season.
The injury had restricted him heavily in the off-season with the amount of training and match practice he had, but he proved his fitness and took to the field for the milestone game.
Vandermeer started the match in a back pocket and played the first quarter before having a spell in the second.
He returned after half-time and Mooroopna coach Brad Campbell stationed the veteran in the forward line in the closing stages of the game, with him slotting a goal to cap off the 26.17 (173) to 5.8 (38) victory.
``It was a bit emotional and I was a bit nervous before the game because I didn't know what to expect, because it was my first game for the year,'' Vandermeer said.
``A DVD clip was played in the rooms before the game which I didn't know anything about, and when I ran out the two sides lined up where we run out onto the ground with a banner, but I couldn't even remember what was written on it.''
Mooroopna was somewhat restricted by a tenacious Bulldogs side in the first half, but after the main interval it was all one-way traffic as the Cats piled on 18 goals to three.
Skipper Rob Osborne led the way with five, while youngster Simon Russell and Heidelberg recruit Craig Whelan bagged four apiece.
Kane Boyer and Ashley Hockey were damaging with the run out of defence, Russell Lee found plenty of the ball in the centre, and Jake Cowman gave his on-ballers first use out of the centre and covered the ground well.
Billy Lovel, Jacob Chessells and Joe Kelly tried hard for Tatura.
Vandermeer is not conceding retirement at this stage and is keen to do his best to try to play out the season.
``It's all about recovery now, I do a lot of swimming and bike riding early in the week to try and keep off it, and I'll try and train later in the week,'' he said.

Eagles rise to occasion, and state intentions
Ashleigh Williamson
Mansfield has ground out its third successive tough victory with a four-goal-to-two last quarter good enough for the Eagles to down Benalla by 13 points at Mansfield Recreation Reserve.
Christian Thomson's side joins Mooroopna and Seymour as the only ones yet to taste defeat in Goulburn Valley Football League this season, but he is under no illusions as to where his side sits in terms of being a premiership contender.
``We're not keeping any secrets from anyone, we know we don't have the best list in the competition but we want to make finals, make no bones about it,'' Thomson said.
``We've had a couple of tussles so far this year and we haven't played as well as I think we can, but we're finding a win which is all we want at the end of the day.''
Ricky Symes was a surprise inclusion for the Saints after injuring his groin the previous week against Shepparton, taking his customary position up forward opposed to Ben Trenfield.
The match was neck and neck all afternoon with Mansfield up by a point going into the final quarter.
It was a case of deja vu for Benalla as it was overrun in the last stanza for a consecutive week with the Eagles emerging victorious, 12.11 (83) to 10.10 (70).
Ross Hopkins kicked three goals to be the leading forward on the ground and bobbed up across half-back and in the middle in a best afield display.
Young Murray Bushranger Brett Mahoney will gain a lot of experience out of running with former AFL midfielder Michael Stevens, while Bernie Jones was dominant in the ruck and Craig Flint was reliable at centre half-back.
Brothers Rowan and Farran Priest were welcome inclusions into the Benalla side, injecting a lot of leg speed into the midfield, but they couldn't sway the result their side's way.
``We had some really good patches and, not to take anything away from Benalla, we always felt in control of the game,'' Thomson said.
``Benalla had beaten us the last three times we've played at Mansfield, so we're happy to be 3-0 at this stage.''

Swans scrape home
Gus Underwood
Kyabram heralded its arrival as a serious football side by fully stretching Shepparton Swans in a high-scoring shoot-out at Princess Park on Saturday.
The relieved Swans got home by just seven points in a game that produced more than 40 goals and some enthralling offensive football from both sides.
In the finish it was the bigger-bodied Swans led by Josh Wilson, veteran Jarrod Sutherland, star forward Glen Dundovic, Matt McCarty and impressive Northern Territory recruits Jarrod Ilett, Iggy Vallejo and Henry Labastida who proved the difference in the entertaining clash.
But the gallant Kyabram side never took a backward step during the game.
Early in the second quarter the Swans appeared to be taking full control, and with Dundovic slotting through four of five unanswered Swans goals, McCarty covering a heap of ground from a wing, and Jarrod and Hayden Best doing a lot of telling work, the home side slipped away to a six-goal lead and looked headed for a runaway win.
But the irrepressible Chris Atkins, impressive recruit Linc Withers, skipper Josh Vick, key forward Paul Newman, David Newman, young talent Brad Edwards and Ryan Edwards led a gallant Kyabram revival that resulted in the Bombers hitting the front by seven points early in the last term.
However, three late goals from big Josh Wilson and one from the destructive Matt McCarty sealed Kyabram's fate.
Defender Lochlan Veal was restricted big Kyabram spearhead Balraj Singh to two goals for the game in what was a major contribution to the Swans' cause.
Despite a seven-goal haul from Dundovic, Bomber skipper Josh Vick was again an inspiring player, with his rebounding play often setting up Kyabram goals.
The Bombers certainly looked to get the most favours from the umpires during the game, particularly at the start of the last quarter, but they squandered a lot of shots on goal with star aerialist Paul Newman a major culprit.
He finished with five majors but missed several shots he would have normally kicked.
Steve Thomson again performed an admirable tagging role for the Bombers on Swans danger-man Lucas White.
There were plenty of good signs from both sides, but to be so competitive against a team of the Swans' standing will give the young Kyabram side a confidence boost.

Bonson and ROberts were unbelievable to watch. Bonson was pretty quiet after half time, but his first half was really good. As for Roberts, I thought he was Euroa best and almost help them pinch the game towards the end. The pace on him was something I have never seen before, other then AFL. The space he put on Hooper and Scanlon in a matter of moments was great to watch. They were worth the $8 gate entry to watch. I still cant work out why Grainger was paid the mark in the final quarter. Ruane was very good for the magpies, yep that was 19 Doona.

Stevenson, Saad and Scanlon basically won the game for the lions who will go very close for 4 in a row, while Euora will play finals.

A great crowd as well. On elast thing is is still puzzles me as to why they didnt switch to a yellow footy after half time. Especially in that last qtr when it was near impossible to see the footy.

Hey Boss, was that Euroa team at full strength or do they have other players to come in? Yeah watching that last quarter with the red ball was a bit of a mystery at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back