Great AFL Quotes

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Terry Venables when he was coach of the Socceroos years ago had the best and most accurate sports quote ever - and it applies to any sport

" Practise doesnt make perfect - Practise makes permanent"

And thats it - if you as a youngster practise the wrong technique - you are stuck with it - you might improve it - but under extreme pressure you will come back to the poor technique - doesnt matter what sport it is

Jack Dyer:
" an essendon supporter is just a Collingwood supporter that has money"

And once when talking to his team mates before a final: " retaliate first"

And when commentating:

"Mark Lees long arms reaching up like giant testicles"

"Fitzroy have copulated to their opposition"

They sound like him.

I remember he famously called Peter Bosustow in his first game, "just a good ordinary player".
Ended up winning mark and goal of the year and played in back to back premierships.
Lou Richards used to call him Mr Modesty or Mr Magic from memory too.
Somehow I sense Stevie J and the Buzz would have got on like a house on fire if they were around the same age and on same team.

I reckon Terry Venables when he was coach of the Socceroos years ago had the best and most accurate sports quote ever - and it applies to any sport

" Practise doesnt make perfect - Practise makes permanent"

And thats it - if you as a youngster practise the wrong technique - you are stuck with it - you might improve it - but under extreme pressure you will come back to the poor technique - doesnt matter what sport it is

Vince Lombardi says hi

This is a random one... dates back to before a particular top-5 draft pick who is now an AFL captain was drafted (he was aged 16-17 at the time).

Was playing cricket at a very high level (so that narrows it down a little), and was getting sledged whilst batting.

Ever confident in his own ability he fires back and says "Mate, I wouldn't be sledging... you obviously have no idea who I am going to be". Hahahaha

"Don't think, Do!" John Kennedy Snr
The ultimate irony of that quote, is that despite it being hailed as one of the greatest motivations in football folklore, we were 20pts down when it was delivered at half time of the 1975 grand final and we went on to get outscored 4 goals to 10 in the second half and lost by 53pts. :confused:
So, basically Kanga should have thought more, before doing this quote?

One from the world of golf - many years ago - the great Lee Trevino - Super Mex

"Theres not much future for dogs who chase cars , and Pro Golfers who putt for pars "

Jack Dyer on Tony Lockett:
"The Saints warmed up by doing two laps around Lockett"
"Fat might be beautiful, particularly when Tony Lockett wears it... He also has a big rear which he uses like a fortress"
"Imagine the poor full back. Needs to be a marathon man just to keep running around Lockett"

And my favourite:
"The most welcome disease to mankind was the Colliwobbles"

PS:
"If there's going to be a brawl - all in it. They can't report the lot of us."
"His long arms reached up like giant testicles" Maybe tentacles?

Jack Dyer on Tony Lockett:
"The Saints warmed up by doing two laps around Lockett"
"Fat might be beautiful, particularly when Tony Lockett wears it... He also has a big rear which he uses like a fortress"
"Imagine the poor full back. Needs to be a marathon man just to keep running around Lockett"

And my favourite:
"The most welcome disease to mankind was the Colliwobbles"

PS:
"If there's going to be a brawl - all in it. They can't report the lot of us."
"His long arms reached up like giant testicles" Maybe tentacles?

There's so many great jack dyer quotes he could have his own thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's another one

show_image.php
Far out carlton are one ugly football team

Modra to Mick Martyn after his goal square hanger- "Cheers for the car Mickey!"

"Fremantle's swarming defensive pressure is unbelievable. Hawthorn has been a great team all year, but they've shown a propensity to choke in the big games. The Dockers are playing at a level we haven't seen before. They're the best team right now and they will expose the Hawks on Saturday."

- the media 'experts' prior to the 2013 Grand Final.

:rolleyes::thumbsu:

"Sydney have been the best team all year. One of the greatest teams we've ever seen. They're deserving of favouritism on Saturday and should win comfortably. The biggest question is whether Buddy Franklin will kick a bag and win the Norm Smith, or whether former Hawk, Josh Kennedy will continue his dominant form and embarrass his old club by winning the medal."

- the media 'experts' prior to the 2014 Grand Final.

:rolleyes::thumbsu::thumbsu:

"This weekend will see a 'changing of the guard' as West Coast confound the ageing Hawks with their defensive web. The hot weather should play right into the Eagles' hands and I expect them to run over a tired Hawthorn team who've had to qualify the hard way with two taxing finals over in WA. The Hawks have the edge in experience, but it won't be enough to overcome West Coast's edge in talent."

- the media 'experts' prior to the 2015 Grand Final.

:rolleyes::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
To be fair Hawks were firm favourites by experts and punters alike in 2 of these 3 GF's, bit rich to generalise those minority quotes as "expert media"

To be fair Hawks were firm favourites by experts and punters alike in 2 of these 3 GF's, bit rich to generalise those minority quotes as "expert media"
Disagree.

I was immersed in it, reading all the articles, listening to the radio, watching all the TV shows and not getting a single minute of work done.

Me and other Hawk fans laughed at the bandwagon support for our rivals. It was mad. Every show I watched & listened, every article I read was full of great theories on how the Hawks would be dismantled.

The Hawks were firm favourites with the bookies, but the media was all over Fremantle, Sydney and West Coast. I'm buggered if I know why. Maybe it was because we squeaked through into the GF with close hard-fought wins in the Prelim Finals whereas those other teams thrashed their PF opponents and looked invincible. Goldfish memories... Fence-sitters changing their tune from week to the next, etc...

Disagree.

I was immersed in it, reading all the articles, listening to the radio, watching all the TV shows and not getting a single minute of work done.

Me and other Hawk fans laughed at the bandwagon support for our rivals. It was mad. Every show I watched & listened, every article I read was full of great theories on how the Hawks would be dismantled.

The Hawks were firm favourites with the bookies, but the media was all over Fremantle, Sydney and West Coast. I'm buggered if I know why. Maybe it was because we squeaked through into the GF with close hard-fought wins in the Prelim Finals whereas those other teams thrashed their PF opponents and looked invincible. Goldfish memories... Fence-sitters changing their tune from week to the next, etc...
I live in WA and pretty much had to zone out of all radio/media for these weeks (13,15) coming up with reasons as to why the WA teams could win, kind of like positive thinking leads to positive results more than truly believing they could beat the Hawks at the G. A lot of these experts would suggest how they could get the job done for thirty minutes, then tip Hawks by 10 points at the end of their speal. 2014 on the other hand was ridiculous all the media had blinders on. Don't go with the side that had beaten Sydney 4 out of the last 5 games by an average of 39 points but w/e, that's what made it the best one to win imo.

Lou Richards commentating with triple Brownlow medal winner, Ian Stewart.......

".........and we know what we are talking about, up here, we have three Brownlows between us......"

Lou was always commentating with Skilton back in the 80s. Was that the triple Brownlow Medal winner you meant or did Stewart do his share of comm box time too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back