couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
Just announced that Guy McKenna has been sacked as Gold coast coach .
I would be very interested in giving him a job as an assistant at Fremantle or better still the job as head coach of Peel .
He has had fantastic results bringing young kids up to AFL standard and we would should get him ASAP IMHO.
His knowledge and football smarts are 1st rate and he would be a terrific role model improving the skills of our 1st and 2nd year players .

didn't we have this same conversation about watters?
I think they're both good options and probably both got the boot a little early. Given the age range of his players I thought Guy should have been given one more year. Watters was at St Kilda who were a mess. Both would make great assistants or Magoo coaches IMO.

No thanks. I don't think he'd even be worth having at Peel. Less successful than Gerard Neesham and with 1 million more first round draft picks.

West coast sacked Ron Alexander after his first season ,John Todd didn't last much longer and Ken Judge was a total waist of time . McKenna started from scratch with kids plus Ablett .
If Ablett hadn't been injured they would have played finals and McKenna would still be coaching GC.
McKenna had a very good football brain and fantastic skills level when he played . He is a very good communicator and understands how the kids think whats to loose . He has to be a huge improvement on Cam Shepherd .

Interesting decision - obviously based entirely on their second half of the season where they dropped 10 of 13 to miss the finals after starting really well. But that is very common for young teams and various of the older/mature players have not been able to contribute second half of this season so they didn't have enough older players to pick up the load. Another pre-season and some tweeks to the list and they will be off so he was unlucky not to see out his year in 2015 after they signed him up 6 months ago when things were looking rosy.

Upside for me is with a non-WA coach maybe they will stop focussing on poaching so many of the talented WA players. I cannot see how McKenna could not make an instant improvement down at Peel/youth development role and might even see us have a 'in' to getting some of those WA players back this way in years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could be a worse influence on Freo, than Cam Shepherd.

That's a big IF.

and ex Claremont players
and ex Collingwood
and well most who have crossed his path.

In the radio interview held on Sports radio the Gold Coast Suns CEO stated that the Board came to a decision on Guy and that he had nothing but praise for how Guy had developed the young talent there BUT GOING forward they wanted to chase an experienced AFL coach .
Bomber Thompson 's name was put forward but they had not spoken to him yet but with the comments Bomber made about maybe not being involved at Essendon in the New Year they would love to talk to him .
Don Pike was at Claremont at the same time and the Club went into melt down with too many chiefs .

Essendon Board is having a meeting tomorrow and are spewing that they have dropped the law suit against ASADA but Hird hasn't . Maybe a 3rd coach is about to be sacked and Bomber stays at Essendon .
The other front runner for Gold Coast is Clarkson's assistant that coached the Hawks in his absence

In the radio interview held on Sports radio the Gold Coast Suns CEO stated that the Board came to a decision on Guy and that he had nothing but praise for how Guy had developed the young talent there BUT GOING forward they wanted to chase an experienced AFL coach .
Bomber Thompson 's name was put forward but they had not spoken to him yet but with the comments Bomber made about maybe not being involved at Essendon in the New Year they would love to talk to him .
Don Pike was at Claremont at the same time and the Club went into melt down with too many chiefs .
Very rarely does a club slam an outgoing player or coach. They are often full of praise but feel that <INSERT RANDOM EXCUSE HERE>. After 4 years, Guy is an experienced AFL coach, I doubt too many will be chasing him as a head coach. He is less successful than Gerard Neesham and relied on one player to win them games. They will be better without him.

Essendon Board is having a meeting tomorrow and are spewing that they have dropped the law suit against ASADA but Hird hasn't . Maybe a 3rd coach is about to be sacked and Bomber stays at Essendon .
The other front runner for Gold Coast is Clarkson's assistant that coached the Hawks in his absence

So what's the inside word on the supplements scandal? I'm frankly surprised you weren't called as an expert witness

Very rarely does a club slam an outgoing player or coach. They are often full of praise but feel that <INSERT RANDOM EXCUSE HERE>. After 4 years, Guy is an experienced AFL coach, I doubt too many will be chasing him as a head coach. He is less successful than Gerard Neesham and relied on one player to win them games. They will be better without him.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...076517869?nk=4ca0c886a3fe9d35ef3672e57e160a29

Timely article

Why do clubs who sack their coaches increasingly insist on calling their decision “mutual”?

Surely if an AFL club board has the conviction to terminate a coach’s contract, it has the fortitude to punch out a media release that calls a spade a spade.

Gold Coast is the latest club to fire their coach and then turn around and say he was happy to go.

Yep, Guy McKenna’s happy to walk away from a nice pay cheque, happy to stop coaching one of the game’s most promising sides and happy to wonder what the heck he’s going to do next.

The Suns’ statement today read: “The chairman of the Gold Coast SUNS John Witheriff and inaugural senior coach Guy McKenna have agreed the time has come to part company.

“McKenna and Witheriff have mutually and respectfully agreed to go their separate ways.”

There were plenty of tales about his unpopularity when he was coaching Claremont.. I'm talking player revolt stuff. Basically, he was detested.
Player revolt was where the GC situation was at too. Don't forget he was politely moved on from the eagirls assistant role also.
Reckon he's much more likely to appear in the media next year than as a coach of any sort.

Player revolt was where the GC situation was at too. Don't forget he was politely moved on from the eagirls assistant role also.
Reckon he's much more likely to appear in the media next year than as a coach of any sort.
Be interested to hear where you guys get this stuff. I bet it's the most epic Chinese whisper ever.

Be interested to hear where you guys get this stuff. I bet it's the most epic Chinese whisper ever.
Well, how about just reading/listening to media reports. Fairly well covered that there was a fair amount of unrest with the players at GC regarding McKenna. Unfortunate fact these days, but often the players have far more involvement in these decisions...... Brenton Sanderson can back that up. Personally I think McKenna appears to be hard-done-by from the outside looking in.
Oh and yes, there was some destabilising friction when he was a West Coast assistant. Hence he was only in the job for one season before he was "encouraged" to head to Collingwood.

But thanks for your newbie assertion there frida. I am not generally a poster on this site that talks bullshit for the sake of it. o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back