has anyone else lost interest in this upcoming season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always interested.

Even if we’re as disappointing as the last two years again, at least this year the bottom 4 of the 23 is a strong chance to be made up of promising young players rather than the later career battlers that the coach relied on too much in recent years. So there’ll hopefully be some positives to take out of the losses.

2022 and 2023 were absolute disasters. I wouldn’t say I’m not invested but I’m pretty cautious. The coaching panel changes are good in theory.

What’s probably frustrating is that we know we have some/have had some very talented players, evident in 2016 and 2021, but failing to win a single final in every other year of Bevos tenure (and to ever finish top 4) has me a bit weary of getting too excited. History suggests we are much more likely to finish in that 7-10 range and miss finals or lose week 1.

As Scrag mentioned it was obvious our season was cooked after 2 rounds last year. Melbourne especially is in this teams head. If we belt them I’ll believe.

We have made some handy additions (Sanders, Coffield, Harmes), Marra/Naughts/Cody etc all getting older, we have the AA ruck and two of the best players in the comp in our midfield.

Our defense is probably still shaky but I’m hoping we’re fun to watch (Haven’t been in a long while) and rack up big scores using the firepower we now have.

The pre season game has my hopes up again.

Sanders looks good, Darcy is almost there and a few additions will have our bottom 6 far less shaky than last season. Hell even the gameplan looked tweaked in a positive way.

We've started the season 0-2 in 4 out of the past 6 seasons (the main exception being 2021 where we won our first 6).

I'm going to wait until we're past round 2 before deciding whether to be optimistic or not, it's just too deflating to go into round 1 full of hope and get wiped off the park again.

For me, its more disillusion with Bevo. Same s**t every year, we play below our potential and nothing seems to change on gameday.

Players played out of position, unable to halt / change momentum, questionable selections and general look at puzzlement on Bevo's face.

For me, its more disillusion with Bevo. Same s**t every year, we play below our potential and nothing seems to change on gameday.

Players played out of position, unable to halt / change momentum, questionable selections and general look at puzzlement on Bevo's face.
Agree. If we have Bevo Mk III (with new coaching entourage) or can go back to Bevo Mk I, I’ll think we’re a serious chance.

When do you think we have played below our potential? I mean sure there’s been lots of individual games, but in regards to seasons, last year was the only year I would agree so, and that season we clearly had a dark cloud looming over the club from round one.

We have made significant changes to our playing group and coaching group since then so we won’t die wondering if it all goes to hell this year.

I am always nervous about (almost dread) the start of each season.

This year I am excited to see the influence of Egan, Pratt and the new fitness dude.

The Ballarat Q&A gave a good insight into Bevo which has me more pumped.
Is there a transcript or video of that Q&A that we can listen to? Sounds interesting

When do you think we have played below our potential? I mean sure there’s been lots of individual games, but in regards to seasons, last year was the only year I would agree so, and that season we clearly had a dark cloud looming over the club from round one.

We have made significant changes to our playing group and coaching group since then so we won’t die wondering if it all goes to hell this year.

Can probably throw 2022 in there too. Should’ve been there abouts again after the 21 GF appearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Throw in 2017 and 2018 also.

17 probably. 18 not a chance.

Was that forward and backline going to get us close to winning a flag?

19 and 20 also had major list issues around age, experience and ability.

I was delusional back then thinking we had the greatest list in the history of the game. I later came to my senses. It’s time others did too.

This is the most pumped I've been.
Our list finally has real depth and structure
We now have a properly staffed and organized footy department.
We have really exciting young guns coming on: Sanders, Marra, Darcy, and Flea are realistic star material.

I've been critical of Bevo (especially the last couple of years) but I'm rapt he's still there under the new footy department structure.
As supporters, I reckon we have overrated our list since 2016. Bevo did well getting us to a Granny in 21. His 2016 year is one of the best-ever coaching performances. No one else could have done it. It would have been shameful and stupid for the club to sack him.

So, stop being negative and critical. Get on the train and enjoy the ride!

Surely I can't be the only one. Less than 2 weeks till round 1 and I usually attend in person but I'm just so deflated about this team right now.
Sorry to hear that! I personally find the new pre-season format a bit dull and it does nothing to excite me (bring back the Wizard/NAB cup). That said, still looking forward to it all coming round again.

I hope the team can play well and help you find some joy in it again.

Can probably throw 2022 in there too. Should’ve been there abouts again after the 21 GF appearance.
Though there were definitely optimists on here (including my delusional self that was in denial), can we really say a team consisting of that backline and forward line that finished 8th underperformed? Maybe in the final vs Freo, but I wouldn’t argue about the season as a whole being a severe example of underperforming.

If anything we overachieved/performed to expectations in 2021. Seriously if Bevo needs credit for anything it’s getting that makeshift forward line and defence into a grand final. Go see how many regular players that year are no longer best 22 or even on the list this year.

I think our list is in a way better position than it was 3 years ago. That is one of the reasons why I have faith in Bevo and the players this year.

Not at all, always excited at the start of the season. I think we have the potential for a good year.

What I don't want to see is the same old same old as we will not progress. The onballers especially need a mix up and its looking like we will get our wish. Same for the defence it can be revitalised this year. Some players are in transition years whilst other will rise quickly. Bevo needs to embrace this.

I just wonder how much having to train at Skinner Reserve last pre season and then mucking around having to shift venues for gym etc actually affected the players . The must be wrapped to be in new facilities at Whitten Oval

I just wonder how much having to train at Skinner Reserve last pre season and then mucking around having to shift venues for gym etc actually affected the players . The must be wrapped to be in new facilities at Whitten Oval
It probably wasn’t ideal in hindsight, it seems like we had a lot more players going through the rehab groups every week last preseason. Whether that was to do with the ground or not who knows, but surely should be beneficial to be back at our home in the best facilities these guys have ever had

I honestly think that if Liam Jones holds up and JOD progresses, we are a massive chance to win the flag. So much talent and so many more Bevo minders has me very bullish to win the whole thing.

Our forward line and midfield could be argued to be the best in the league. If we can balance Tim English’s ambition to be the first ruck with the reality we need Lobb and Darcy in there to provide some grunt…..I am taking September off on Rec Leave.

I was so burnt by the 2018 season opener against GWS.

I convinced myself that 2017 was an anomaly and the "hangover" would be over.

Then we come out with one of the shittiest performances I've seen from the club.

I remember Easton Wood giving up on chasing and dropping his head and thinking we were in some s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back