Has collingwood been worked out?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't describe their next month as easy.

They have :

Brisbane at the Gabba - Desperate for a win themselves
Hawthorn - A side who beat them by 5 goals in Round 21 last year
Power - At the MCG but coming off a bye
Essendon - On Anzac Day, anything can happen. They only beat the Bombers by 2 goals last year themselves.

It would be EXTREMELY long odds, but 0-7 is a remote possibility.
Competition is getting closer every year - it is just a fact. Winning the early games when most teams have players fit and firing is a bonus no doubt. Of those 4 you mention coming - you'd expect 2 are 50/50 and two are weighted more in Collingwood's favour. But -no doubt - the more a team has to chase the more everything has to go right.

Competition is getting closer every year - it is just a fact. Winning the early games when most teams have players fit and firing is a bonus no doubt. Of those 4 you mention coming - you'd expect 2 are 50/50 and two are weighted more in Collingwood's favour. But -no doubt - the more a team has to chase the more everything has to go right.

Maybe 1 x 50/50 (Port game) and 1 x 40/60 (Lions)

Collingwood will not be the favourites at the GABBA. Likely $1.70 vs $2.40 imo.

I agree they will be favourites for the Hawthorn game and maybe ANZAC day (not if they get rolled in a few of these games), but they were also favorites last night

I tipped St Kilda.

Are You Sure Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I think there's some similarities to Richmond of the last few years if their senior core has started to fall off a cliff.

They don't have a big bunch of good young players, most of Hill, McCreary are good role players, not players to build a side around. Hill is no Shai Bolton. Daicos x 2 and Quaynor are obviously players to take them forward, but it's a small group.

There's a chance De Goey, Moore, Maynard find themselves in the same spot as Dusty, Lynch and Prestia did. Caught between two generations (Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, Edwards vs Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Elliott, Mitchell) of players and not good enough depth to prevent the big drop off to a bottom 8 side. With the younger generation below them not being good enough to replace the older generation retiring.

Richmond tried to stem the bleeding with Taranto and Hopper, it will be interesting to see if Collingwood go hard at recruitment to try and catch Moore, Maynard, De Goey before they retire or commit to a mini rebuild if this season keeps going the way it looks like it could.

FA (or mortgage their future pick) might be the only option since Freo have Collingwoods first round pick this year and they dont have a Nick Daicos F/S to bail them out this time.

The difference is that our Core Stars were not 30+ when we started our string of premierships. Also we did bring in new players to replace aging and retiring stalwarts during that period (Lynch, Bolton, Baker, Short, Balta, Pickett etc all joined the team as players such as Grigg, Rance, Butler, etc left).

Collingwood won that Flag with an already aging list. They won it through being revitalized with a new coach, with a new gameplan and a new positive culture that everyone bought into. This spike in improvement is not sustainable though, at least not to the level to go again with older players. They need the depth and wave of developing stars rising up beneath those aging leaders.

It's yet to be seen that Collingwood has that sort of depth waiting in the wings to go again. I very much doubt it.

Last edited:
Don’t think ‘worked out’ is the right term. The style of footy they have played under macrae is demanding and was always going to be small window of opportunity. Good on them for grabbing the flag last year. In a way their best footy was 2022-it was taking its toll by the latter half of 2023. They aren’t going back to back but it’s been entertaining footy and I am happy they won a flag.

The difference is that our Core Stars were not 30+ when we started our string of premierships. Also we did bring in new players to replace aging and retiring stalwarts during that period (Lynch, Bolton, Baker, Short, Balta, Pickett etc all joined the team as players such as Grigg, Rance, Butler, etc left).

Collingwood won that Flag with an already aging list. They won it through being revitalized with a new coach, with a new gameplan and a new positive culture that everyone bought into. This spike in improvement is not sustainable though, at least not to the level to go again with older players. They need the depth and wave of developing stars rising up beneath those aging leaders.

It's yet to be seen that Collingwood has that sort of depth waiting in the wings to go again. I very much doubt it.

I was comparing them to Richmond of a few years ago, not after their first flag.

Maybe 1 x 50/50 (Port game) and 1 x 40/60 (Lions)

Collingwood will not be the favourites at the GABBA. Likely $1.70 vs $2.40 imo.

I agree they will be favourites for the Hawthorn game and maybe ANZAC day (not if they get rolled in a few of these games), but they were also favorites last night
$1.38 (bris) vs $3.05 (pies) on sportsbet today

I think it'll be a lot closer than that - both sides will see this as a chance to make a statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$1.38 (bris) vs $3.05 (pies) on sportsbet today

I think it'll be a lot closer than that - both sides will see this as a chance to make a statement.

Was this week not a chance for the Pies to make a statement? Or last week?

Saints were good I thought we had them once we pegged them back. But it was us who got blown off the park and pegged back yet again. We should have came out guns blazing vs Sydney unveiling our premiership flag and off the back of that loss to GWS. We got smashed in both games and if there was time to make a statement, last night was it.

We look like complete and utter trash. And atm, that is exactly what we are.

“I've got someone that I trust very, very much who was a big part of our premiership years down at Geelong and now does some work at work at Collingwood,” Mooney explained on SEN The Run Home.

“He said that he hasn't seen a group come back after a premiership as good as this.

Terrific mail there Moons...
Be Selwood wouldn’t it?

It’s not even a hangover. They were barely better than the competition as it was, plus they’ve lost two of their most important structural players. Making movies about it was just embarrassing.
It was as greater Premiership to make one as any. Genuine case of a 'champion team' beating one 'team of champions' after another through sheer willpower. As a fan (who it was made for) I loved reliving it.

Unfortunately we are just finally out of gas after two years of "getting lucky" Willpower is finite.

That's an exaggeration - they were right in it for most of the night.
St Kilda looked better for most of the night and ran away in the last but 'zero' intensity is a bit dramatic.
I think the saints tried to keep us in it tbh. Some bad misses in the third should have had it on ice earlier. I only felt "in it" until that bloke got concussed.

I've thought in all every game so far the margin been very flattering to Collingwood.

They've been smashed in all three games.
I do not disagree. Plus it is pretty hard to win games in 2024 when you basically have zero contributions from so-called ket forwards. Ash Johnson is a total one trick pony who does not run or tackle or exert himself to put any pressure on his opponent. On the flip side, Mihocek - who in a far more balanced side should be a 3rd tall forward - has been carrying the forward line for the best part of 6 years since he made his debut as a key forward in 2018 (after arriving at the club from Port Melbourne where played mainly as a key defender). Unfortunately all the battering & physical demands associated with playing as a key forward over that period with minimal support is now clearly taking it toll. What makes the situation worse is that we have absolutely nothing in the VFL in terms of young & emerging key forwards or even project players because our recruiting team refuses to draft any young tall forwards or backs as opposed to mid-fielders & small forwards. Methinks that it is going to be a very long, challenging & arduous year for my team in 2024 & beyond especially when we gave up our 1st Round Draft choice to Fremantle for Lachie Schultz who has hardly set the world on fire in his 1st 3 games as another small forward type. Anyway, goodnight & good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back