Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

You get 2 byes.

We get 2 byes.
The advantage of having a R0 bye is irrelavent because you had the preceding 6 months of and you are 100% fresh as you play your first game.

Each team throughout the season gets 2 byes.

Can’t see why people think otherwise?
This is some next level pedantry. What are you hoping to achieve by correcting this

It’s the buzz kill as a Carlton fan now having a weeks break which is ridiculous, finally get footy back and then we sit and wait it out for a whole week. I am not sure who was responsible but they should e demoted.

New record round aggregate attendance has been set. They must have got something right.
For round 1, which isn’t really round 1, it’s round 1.5. The AFL just move around the goal posts to make the numbers look better and pay themselves bigger bonuses. Membership numbers are the same.

A record for Rd 1 but the next 4-5 weeks will probably suffer with only 8 games.

For round 1, which isn’t really round 1, it’s round 1.5. The AFL just move around the goal posts to make the numbers look better and pay themselves bigger bonuses. Membership numbers are the same.

A record for Rd 1 but the next 4-5 weeks will probably suffer with only 8 games.
It only counts the nine games that were played from last Thursday through to yesterday. A usual round is nine games.

It only counts the nine games that were played from last Thursday through to yesterday. A usual round is nine games.
But it shouldn’t count as it’s not round 1. It’s round 1.5, so people have had 4 games already and are reminded the footy has started so attend. If it beat the round 2 record attendance then I would pay it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it shouldn’t count as it’s not round 1. It’s round 1.5, so people have had 4 games already and are reminded the footy has started so attend. If it beat the round 2 record attendance then I would pay it.
I don't see the issue as its still the usual nine games in a round.

Its the highest attended round ever. Not just a round 1 record.

I didn't mind opening round as a concept, I as many others, do think that clubs playing in R1 should not be playing clubs in R0 though.

So record crowds for a round and great ratings all while also expanding into a newer market.Whats left to debate?.Facts are facts .People don't like the feeling of being left out and can't handle being on the wrong side of a debate or history .We all know that

Why not just move Round 1 to be earlier, instead of creating a Round 0? Then you don't create all this mess with byes.

Jamming so many high profile blockbuster games in at the start of the year is fraught with danger and the reason we will get a mid season lull full of mediocre games, take round 11.. looks a stinker besides the Dreamtime game..

Jamming so many high profile blockbuster games in at the start of the year is fraught with danger and the reason we will get a mid season lull full of mediocre games, take round 11.. looks a stinker besides the Dreamtime game..
Yes Port v West Coast would be much better suited to save the Round 11 fixture’s blushes.

Cats v Giants and Melbourne v St Kilda will be wretched matches. 👀👀

Last edited:
Why not just move Round 1 to be earlier, instead of creating a Round 0? Then you don't create all this mess with byes.
The grand final is played on the last Saturday of September, mate. There's also a public holiday the day before.

None of that's changing. What will change is the season will go to 24 games per team, by the time Tassie joins (at the latest).

Still no evidence to support the notion that first week byes are particularly dis/advantageous, btw.

Fremantle made a lot of people in this thread look foolish!

They're manufactured blockbusters to start the season. There's a reason why the return games between the big 4 always draw less, and it isn't because of "mid season lull"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back