Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
So this week we have four "pre Round 1" games, all being held in Sydney and Brisbane.

Going back to the first mentions of "Opening Round", it was all about taking advantage of the NRL being in Las Vegas to open their season. So the AFL would strike with four big games in their heartland.

Sounds reasonably logical.

However, Vegas was last weekend, and this week we have NRL Round 1 games in Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Is this as simple as... the AFL got the dates wrong?

Surely it should have been last weekend?

So this week we have four "pre Round 1" games, all being held in Sydney and Brisbane.

Going back to the first mentions of "Opening Round", it was all about taking advantage of the NRL being in Las Vegas to open their season. So the AFL would strike with four big games in their heartland.

Sounds reasonably logical.

However, Vegas was last weekend, and this week we have NRL Round 1 games in Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Is this as simple as... the AFL got the dates wrong?

Surely it should have been last weekend?
No. Last weekend all of the hype was going to be on the games played in Vegas. Doesn't matter what the AFL did.

This weekend however the NRL only has 2 games in Sydney, and 2 in Qld - Same as the AFL. The AFL games will have bigger crowds, and great TV ratings, and in general they will benefit from getting more of the media coverage in those states.

They got the dates right.

And whilst I can understand what they’re doing - it totally ruins the lead up to the season IMO.

The week leading up to the season in Victoria is usually full of buzz. I haven’t experienced any of that this year.

Such a weird concept to kill the buy in of half the competitions supporters by saying “nah, you guys can wait another week before you get to see your team play”.

I honestly don’t know how it got voted through as a good idea.

all 4 games sellouts.
So no not a failure.
Add to that according to the AFL Round 1 tickets are selling at a higher rate…..

Whinging by some is hilarious. Literally the Vics get the GF and every marque game.
But this one event? Oh no it’s killing footy!
Good idea in theory but they should have played a full round of 9 games in NSW/Qld

Terrible start by Dillon

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole thing is s**t regardless of the week they play it. Starting a competition with eight teams playing and ten sitting on the sidelines is so incredibly stupid and anti-climactic I'm amazed the geniuses at AFL house didn't introduce it earlier.
It's a shambolic mess
As always the actual product (ie the game) will shine through all these AFL "enhancement" gimmicks though

The reverse is true as it gives Storm fans a chance to go and see their side live as the only ticket in town on Friday night too.

Honestly I thought they botched it as well but when you look at the draws and who is playing who & where they’re playing - it is a good launching pad to get the season off in a big way (crowd numbers wise) by giving those Victorian supporters the chance to take advantage of the long weekend and attend when they may not necessarily have had the chance to do so.

I’d hope it continues in the future.

all 4 games sellouts.
So no not a failure.
Add to that according to the AFL Round 1 tickets are selling at a higher rate…..

Whinging by some is hilarious. Literally the Vics get the GF and every marque game.
But this one event? Oh no it’s killing footy! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
No one has said it’s killing footy, but every club builds up to the start of the season and try to get their fans ready for the year.

Only a select few now get to actually start, while the rest wait it out another week.

It’s ******* stupid.

No one has said it’s killing footy, but every club builds up to the start of the season and try to get their fans ready for the year.

Only a select few now get to actually start, while the rest wait it out another week.

It’s ******* stupid.
We’ve had this before though.

In 2011 and 2012.

It’s ******* stupid.
Yeah but so is having a national competition always having a grand final in one city.
Or marque games all going to one region.

all 4 games sellouts.
So no not a failure.

But this one event? Oh no it’s killing footy! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Or just schedule every team a game. Sydney, Brisbane, on the Moon - anything's better than cucking more than half the fanbases.

Yeah but so is having a national competition always having a grand final in one city.
Or marque games all going to one region.
Whataboutisms are fun I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back