Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast v Carlton
Giants v Swans

Edit: That’s a lie. My brain is messing with me.

Happened in 2012 only mate, sorry.

Giants v Swans
Doesn’t surprise me.
I remember the start of the 2013 season, because the Reigning premier(Swans) got to play the two start up sides in Rounds 1&2, while the runners up had to play the other 7 finalists in the first 7 rounds.

I had no recollection of 2012 though.

I’m pretty flat about it to be honest. I think that had a bit to do with the match ups.

Melbourne v Sydney to open the season doesn’t inspire me. Should be Collingwood v Sydney feel like it had more bite

Carlton v Brisbane - I’m a Carlton supporter, but nobody beats Brisbane, in Brisbane, so we know the result of this match already

Collingwood v GWS - the biggest club in the comp & reining premiers starting there season on this paddock? Doesn’t sit right, probably going to be the best of the matches

GC v Richmond - the Hardwick stuff matters to Richmond supporters, but for the majority of others supporters it’s not a big deal. It’s also not a game worthy of being standalone marquee, GC aren’t a big club, they have done nothing & for Richmond, they are at the end of an amazing dynasty but they aren’t challenging

I think there are just more interesting games from a neutral perspective in round 1, than round 0. Then for my own club a match that is winnable

They got the dates right.

And whilst I can understand what they’re doing - it totally ruins the lead up to the season IMO.

The week leading up to the season in Victoria is usually full of buzz. I haven’t experienced any of that this year.
At least Victorian teams play the first round.

SA and WA teams get nothing.

As bad a concept as it is, I do think a Swans vs Melbourne season opener will be a better spectacle than Richmond vs Carlton

No. Last weekend all of the hype was going to be on the games played in Vegas. Doesn't matter what the AFL did.

This weekend however the NRL only has 2 games in Sydney, and 2 in Qld - Same as the AFL. The AFL games will have bigger crowds, and great TV ratings, and in general they will benefit from getting more of the media coverage in those states.

I dunno... are we sure they legit didn't stuff up the dates. Looks very possible.

I have no issue with the concept... I'm keen to know if it was stuffed up by putting it on the wrong date.

AFL general manager, Laura Kane and the AFL's head of broadcast and scheduling, Josh Bowler both said their primary concern when devising the fixture is "fairness and equitability"

LMAO!

What a load of shite!

Why can't they just be honest for once in their life and say their primary concern is ensuring the Channel 7 and Fox Footy are happy?

They treat us footy fans like we're a bunch of mugs. We're adults. We can handle it. Just tell us straight...
"The TV broadcasters pay us 650 million a year, so we give them whatever they want. They wanted 4 interstate games for opening round. The hardcore fans and club members who turn up every weekend are not as important to us. They run a long distant 2nd or 3rd to our TV broadcast partners. "

Laura Kane has been in the job for less than 12 months. She has fronted the media for only a couple of months... Already I dislike her. She dodges questions like a politician and serves up nothing but lies, spin and corporate mumbo-jumbo bullshit.

Last edited:
I dunno... are we sure they legit didn't stuff up the dates. Looks very possible.

I have no issue with the concept... I'm keen to know if it was stuffed up by putting it on the wrong date.
All the talk last weekend was Vegas. Smart move to have it this weekend.
AFL general manager, Laura Kane and the AFL's head of broadcast and scheduling, Josh Bowler both said their primary concern when devising the fixture is "fairness and equitability"

LMAO!

What a load of shite!

Why can't they just be honest for once in their life and say their primary concern is ensuring the Channel 7 and Fox Footy are happy?

They treat us footy fans like we're a bunch of mugs.

Laura Kane has been in the job for less than 12 months. She has fronted the media for only a couple of months... Already I dislike her. She dodges questions like a politician and serves up nothing but lies, spin and bullshit.
So you would be ok with the GF being shared around among other things? Since you are so worried about fairness.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely ridiculous concept particularly called “round zero”. What bright spark at AFL HQ came up with that idiotic idea and even worst that the muppets at the C Suite level actually endorsed it. Why isn’t it a split round at a minimum? I couldn’t be more against it and you just know that the AFL will be carrying on Monday morning about how exciting round one will be ignoring the fact there’s already been four games.

just when you think the AFL couldn’t get more absurd they continue to top themselves and Dillon is already looking an A grade goose.

Absolutely ridiculous concept particularly called “round zero”. What bright spark at AFL HQ came up with that idiotic idea and even worst that the muppets at the C Suite level actually endorsed it. Why isn’t it a split round at a minimum? I couldn’t be more against it and you just know that the AFL will be carrying on Monday morning about how exciting round one will be ignoring the fact there’s already been four games.

just when you think the AFL couldn’t get more absurd they continue to top themselves and Dillon is already looking an A grade goose.
The split round makes much more sense.

But I’m all for northern states having the opening 4 games of the round.

Agree it’s a huge advantage to teams playing this week.
Take the Brisbane v Dockers game next week for example - Brissie will have had a game under their belt already while Dockers don’t even get a proper pre-season hit-out this weekend and will probably do a low key internal scratch match.
Will be a massive step up in intensity for week 2 that Brissie will already be prepared for.
The other “non round zero” teams will all be in the same boat.
Stupid idea that for over half the teams has really taken the edge off the first part of the season 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So you would be ok with the GF being shared around among other things? Since you are so worried about fairness.
You seem to be confused.

I wasn't whining for fairness. (I gave up on that a long long time ago)

I'm simply laughing at the AFL's inability to tell it like it is.

They always spin complete & utter BS

Last edited:
Take the Brisbane v Dockers game next week for example - Brissie will have had a game under their belt already while Dockers don’t even get a proper pre-season hit-out this weekend and will probably do a low key internal scratch match.
Will be a massive step up in intensity for week 2 that Brissie will already be prepared for.
Stupid idea that for over half the teams has really taken the edge off the first part of the season 🤷‍♂️

Should they have had the 8 teams play each other again in Round 1 (obviously different fixtures) - this query would have been kyboshed

I only realised last night that Richmond's first game is on this Saturday, what a way to disenfranchise supporters by having the opening round for only a few teams who then have to have a bye later in the first few weeks of the season, we know the AFL are idiots but this is even more stupid than a usual AFL idea.

Yes, AFL have pulled a big heel turn.

Fans: All we ask for is that the fixture is as fair and equitable as possible.

AFL: Yes we always listen to the fans.
a fair draw and connected fan base is our priority.

Fans: there’s a better future.

AFL: NO! Round ZERO.
We will play some teams a week early
And really * s**t up!

Also the OR teams get two byes, WTF? Even I'm confused

Remove this Banner Ad

Back