Has collingwood been worked out?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Saints game is really important for the Pies, because i just don't see them winning at the Gabba the following week

If defeating the Lions at the GABBA is such a Herculean feat of impossibility, how were Carlton able to do it? 🤔

If defeating the Lions at the GABBA is such a Herculean feat of impossibility, how were Carlton able to do it? 🤔
I know the Lions are normally unbeaten up there. Perhaps Carlton are just a better team than Collingwood this year. Who knows time will tell really!

I think Pendles is done.

I only watched about 3 out of their 8 quarters so far, but the pies weren't overly intense. Pendlebury stood out as not his old-self. Not sure if he's trying to manage to make it through the year, or he's just gone on too long.

Over the past two years, 17 out of their 38 wins have been by under 10 points. Nearly 50% of their wins have come from very close games.

As mentioned above that’s not sustainable and they rode the wave and probably some luck brilliantly to get a flag and good on them.

However IMO it’s one of the luckier flags in recent time simply due to getting over the line in close games which most of the time, comes down to luck with one or two decisions going your way or individual moments of brilliance rather than the overall team.

Even last year, they were often behind 3-4 goals but would pull it back for a close win. Lose that ability and they are simply back to the pack where they were for large periods of the games last year.

44% of wins under 10 points isn’t a sign of sustainable success but rather a sign they grabbed their golden run with both hands at the right time.

Yep, this. In terms of the close wins, comebacks etc, of course there's a skill in executing the right plays in the crunch moments but there's a huge amount of luck involved.

I think back to the game Elliott won after the siren v Essendon in 2022, the only reason Collingwood had the ball in the last minute with a chance to win was because Harry Jones missed an absolute sitter of a set shot that would have sealed it.

Last year when they narrowly beat the Crows at the 'G, the umps missed one of the most obvious frees of the season to Dawson just before FT. He should have had a shot after the siren to win it, there was no 'brilliance' from Collingwood to hang on.

I think they're a really good team and still back them in to make finals but as you said, they rode their luck for two seasons straight. They now seem quite satisfied with their flag - as an aside, I've never seen a premiership captain do as much media and as many events as Moore did in the offseason - and that may be resulting in just 10% less manic effort on the field, which all adds up.

I think Pendles is done.

I only watched about 3 out of their 8 quarters so far, but the pies weren't overly intense. Pendlebury stood out as not his old-self. Not sure if he's trying to manage to make it through the year, or he's just gone on too long.
Old mate spent most of the game playing for free kicks. He is better than that, but it was really poor to see.

Yep, this. In terms of the close wins, comebacks etc, of course there's a skill in executing the right plays in the crunch moments but there's a huge amount of luck involved.

I think back to the game Elliott won after the siren v Essendon in 2022, the only reason Collingwood had the ball in the last minute with a chance to win was because Harry Jones missed an absolute sitter of a set shot that would have sealed it.

Last year when they narrowly beat the Crows at the 'G, the umps missed one of the most obvious frees of the season to Dawson just before FT. He should have had a shot after the siren to win it, there was no 'brilliance' from Collingwood to hang on.

I think they're a really good team and still back them in to make finals but as you said, they rode their luck for two seasons straight. They now seem quite satisfied with their flag - as an aside, I've never seen a premiership captain do as much media and as many events as Moore did in the offseason - and that may be resulting in just 10% less manic effort on the field, which all adds up.

Close wins don’t happen by accident, there is definitely skill involved, it isn’t just random events. One can see the difference to how we have handled close games 2023/24 compared to the last couple of games of 2022.

However, it means if you are winning a lot of games like that it only takes a small drop off to come right back to the pack and look very ordinary.

The same could apply to Carlton, unless we begin playing better football, but we have at least banked 2 wins.

Maybe the finals was the pies extracting the last possible drop out of what they had? Time will tell.

Heat the saints this week they are back on track but they wouldn’t want to finish gather round any worse than 2-3.

How come everyone is so "concerned" about Collingwood being 0-2, but not saying a word about Brisbane?
Brisbane haven’t looked quite so underwhelming.

By rights both the GWS and Sydney games could’ve been ten goal beltings.

No doubt Collingwood will do it too then...

I don't think that there was anything to 'work out' about Collingwood - I think that they are just being 'outworked' in the first couple of games..

doesn't help their cause that their 2nd KPD is out and one of the genuine KPF is out either...

these structural issues need to be fixed and their start against GWS and Sydney arent exactly the easiest games to be played all year either-- early days to write them off I would suggest - despite the fun of rubbing it in after all the chest puffing in recent months..

St Kilda and Brisbane extend their tough start to the season - but every finals side has a run of tough games to contend with...

if Collingwood win both they are back to par and maybe an easier run to settle back into...if they lose both - the pressure goes up a notch or two..

The ultimate Bradbury premiership - so not really surprising - they were never the best team last year.

If Maynard didn't deliberately take Brayshaw out early in that first final - Collingwood would have lost that game - there is no argument there.
They then would have faced Carton the next week, which was 50/50 - then Brisbane in Brisbane which they would have lost.

They got the premiership due to a dirty act by a player best described as human garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ultimate Bradbury premiership - so not really surprising - they were never the best team last year.

If Maynard didn't deliberately take Brayshaw out early in that first final - Collingwood would have lost that game - there is no argument there.
They then would have faced Carton the next week, which was 50/50 - then Brisbane in Brisbane which they would have lost.

They got the premiership due to a dirty act by a player best described as human garbage.
Check the record books. Collingwood won the flag in 2023. It doesn't mention ifs, buts, and what-ifs.

Every umpire hates the Giants. Our games are officiated with a distinct bias and agenda against us.

It’s honestly sickening.

PF vs Collingwood last year: Giants +\- 0 frees
SF vs Port last year: Giants +5 frees
EF vs StK last year: Giants -1 frees
Rd 24 vs Carlton last year: Giants -1 frees
Rd 23 vs Essendon last year: Giants +9 frees
Rd 22 vs Port last year: Giants +2 frees
Rd 21 vs Sydney last year: Giants -3 frees
Rd 20 vs Dogs last year: Giants +3 frees
Rd 19 vs Suns last year: Giants -1 frees
Rd 18 vs Crows last year: Giants +3 frees

I can’t be f**ked going back any further but if that’s sickening to you, I’m curious as to why.
It would seem that winning 5 free kick counts, losing 4 - narrowly - and squaring one, would be a fairly flimsy basis to build a conspiracy on.

Yes a free kick count is not inherently SUPPOSED to be level but it’s a pretty good starting point for an agenda against a club.

I’d say ‘every umpire hating the Giants’ would need a little more evidence than factually handing them more winning free kick counts than losing ones at the pointy end of the season.

Both Giants & Collingwood are playing similar gamestyle to Richmond, both coaches were under Dimma. it's not news everyone knows how they play stopping it is the issue.

I would say the Pies are just playing bad & making a lot of errors they weren't making last year & some their older guys are another pre-season another year older.

PF vs Collingwood last year: Giants +\- 0 frees
SF vs Port last year: Giants +5 frees
EF vs StK last year: Giants -1 frees
Rd 24 vs Carlton last year: Giants -1 frees
Rd 23 vs Essendon last year: Giants +9 frees
Rd 22 vs Port last year: Giants +2 frees
Rd 21 vs Sydney last year: Giants -3 frees
Rd 20 vs Dogs last year: Giants +3 frees
Rd 19 vs Suns last year: Giants -1 frees
Rd 18 vs Crows last year: Giants +3 frees

I can’t be f**ked going back any further but if that’s sickening to you, I’m curious as to why.
It would seem that winning 5 free kick counts, losing 4 - narrowly - and squaring one, would be a fairly flimsy basis to build a conspiracy on.

Yes a free kick count is not inherently SUPPOSED to be level but it’s a pretty good starting point for an agenda against a club.

I’d say ‘every umpire hating the Giants’ would need a little more evidence than factually handing them more winning free kick counts than losing ones at the pointy end of the season.
Negative differential all year.

Including not paying an obvious free kick late in the prelim.

Agenda.

You don’t have to like it.

But it is what it is.

Negative differential all year.

Including not paying an obvious free kick late in the prelim.

Agenda.

You don’t have to like it.

But it is what it is.

You don’t have to invent it either.

The AFL doesn’t profit from having Collingwood succeed.
They make money no matter what. Wherever they go, they are a cash cow. Success, failure. They succeed, they draw a crowd, and in a preliminary final?

Oh wow, the Pies making a grand final will REALLY change the league’s bottom line on GF day. The extra 500 people it will pull into the MCG for what is always a 100,000 will change their income dramatically

Now, compare that to what a grand final appearance and potential premiership for GWS would do for their account balance

Do you really, really, in your heart of hearts, believe that a Collingwood flag will impact the finances of the AFL, and the growth of the game, as much as a Giants flag?

Really?

‘Guys we’ve sunk tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars into our push into Sydney and the Gold Coast and tried to build these artificial rivalries with the existing clubs up there and given them concessions and Academies to choose from and compromised drafts.

What we will do now, when they are developing into a team who can repay those investments, is deliberately cripple them because we DONT want that to pay off. We will hamstring ourselves and ensure our investment DOESNT pay off by deliberately ordering our match officials to favour a club whose success impacts our growth and finance the least.

You don’t have to invent it either.

The AFL doesn’t profit from having Collingwood succeed.
They make money no matter what. Wherever they go, they are a cash cow. Success, failure. They succeed, they draw a crowd, and in a preliminary final?

Oh wow, the Pies making a grand final will REALLY change the league’s bottom line on GF day. The extra 500 people it will pull into the MCG for what is always a 100,000 will change their income dramatically

Now, compare that to what a grand final appearance and potential premiership for GWS would do for their account balance

Do you really, really, in your heart of hearts, believe that a Collingwood flag will impact the finances of the AFL, and the growth of the game, as much as a Giants flag?

Really?

‘Guys we’ve sunk tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars into our push into Sydney and the Gold Coast and tried to build these artificial rivalries with the existing clubs up there and given them concessions and Academies to choose from and compromised drafts.

What we will do now, when they are developing into a team who can repay those investments, is deliberately cripple them because we DONT want that to pay off. We will hamstring ourselves and ensure our investment DOESNT pay off by deliberately ordering our match officials to favour a club whose success impacts our growth and finance the least.
They sell far more licensed premiership merch to Pies fans than they would Giants fans.

The agenda is real.

Not my fault you can’t see it.

I hope they've been worked out, am very much enjoying the death ride so far.

I dont think it's so much that they've been worked out but that like Geelong, it's an older team that just won a flag. The innate desire just goes a bit, we've seen it almost every season. 10% off against younger, hungrier teams and suddenly you're chasing.

There's also their absolutely incredible close game run the last two years. While some of it is no doubt skill, the desire to win those games or get back into a game when being down just has to go a bit and that's 3-4 more losses each year.

They'll probably work something out at some point but I am very excited for where their pick could end up

Last edited:
I hope they've been worked out, am very much enjoying the death ride so far.

I dont think it's so much they've worked out but that like Geelong, it's an older team that just won a flag. The innate desire just goes a bit, we've seen it almost every season. 10% off against younger, hungrier teams and suddenly you're chasing.

There's also their absolutely incredible close game run the last two years. While some of it is no doubt skill, the desire to win those games or get back into a game when being down just has to go a bit and that's 3-4 more losses each year.

They'll probably work something out at some point but I am very excited for where their pick could end up

Agreed, we're just playing without desire and intensity, anyone could have beaten us these last 2 games

The club as a whole is in a rut with over-celebrating the flag initially then over-compensating by burying the flag unfurling, insulting the supporters who responded with a rare mass exodus

The players look like playing home and away is beneath them or something

Everyone needs to lift in Magpie-land asap

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed, we're just playing without desire and intensity, anyone could have beaten us these last 2 games

The club as a whole is in a rut with over-celebrating the flag initially then over-compensating by burying the flag unfurling, insulting the supporters who responded with a rare mass exodus

The players look like playing home and away is beneath them or something

Everyone needs to lift in Magpie-land asap

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or dont, they won a flag, have the year off and relax a bit

Yes they did, nice work.

What I was saying was they were not the clear best team like often happens. It was a raffle with the top six teams. They only need to fall a bit away and they will be struggling to stay in the 8.
A game clear on top of the ladder minor premiers, and that’s despite putting the cue away a month out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back