Analysis Hawkins and the midfield delivery

Remove this Banner Ad

My Third Nipple

Senior List
Mar 2, 2010
Freezer
AFL Club
Geelong
Not too sure where this bloke is at. Contract still not done, form is pretty poor, no doubt still grieving his mother. Not so much trying to knock the bloke just coming up with a few reasons as to why he's not dominating teams. Didn't really have an impact today and still insists on trying to out wrestle his opponent without a plan B. He's a bloody big boy, I would love nothing more than to mix it up with a few hard leads and at worst split a few packs and knock a few blokes over.

Not too sure where this bloke is at. Contract still not done, form is pretty poor, no doubt still grieving his mother. Not so much trying to knock the bloke just coming up with a few reasons as to why he's not dominating teams. Didn't really have an impact today and still insists on trying to out wrestle his opponent without a plan B. He's a bloody big boy, I would love nothing more than to mix it up with a few hard leads and at worst split a few packs and knock a few blokes over.
We never get over it, but something like that, 12 months minimum. Would be very fragile still.

We never get over it, but something like that, 12 months minimum. Would be very fragile still.

Absolutely, and I'm sure the club are monitoring his emotions. Surely if this monumental event in his life is affecting his output at work, the club and supporters would be understanding if the Hawk had a few weeks off to gather his thoughts and grieve properly. From memory he missed a week which imo is bugger all time for a young person.

I agree the delivery for most of the day inside 50 was cactus. Like most supporters, I just want to see him run and jump at the football, split packs, plant his knees into anyone in his way and stop attempting the wrestle game. His tactic of protecting the area of the ball drop before attempting 1 handers obviously has a low success rate and surely he would know after a couple of attempts if his direct opponent is as strong or stronger than him.

I agree the delivery for most of the day inside 50 was cactus. Like most supporters, I just want to see him run and jump at the football, split packs, plant his knees into anyone in his way and stop attempting the wrestle game. His tactic of protecting the area of the ball drop before attempting 1 handers obviously has a low success rate and surely he would know after a couple of attempts if his direct opponent is as strong or stronger than him.

At least two or three times today he led at the ball carrier and the ball was kicked over his head. At least two times he turned his opponent inside out and ran back towards goal, wanting the ball kicked long so he could run onto it, and it was kicked to his direct opponent. At other times we just bomb it on his head. You won't find many if any key forwards in the comp with a good strike rate at marking those.

The wrestling game works fine when they actually deliver the ball to his side, (or even in between) rather than the defender's. So much so that he was the best in the league by a mile in contested marking situations last year.

At least two or three times today he led at the ball carrier and the ball was kicked over his head. At least two times he turned his opponent inside out and ran back towards goal, wanting the ball kicked long so he could run onto it, and it was kicked to his direct opponent. At other times we just bomb it on his head. You won't find many if any key forwards in the comp with a good strike rate at marking those.

We had 58 entries inside 50, I agree that our delivery has been poor for most of the year but if its being dropped on his head he should at least be making opponents think twice before jumping in front of him. The wrestling game he persists with is NOT working. My point is that this bloke is a focal point of our team and he performing like a bloke with outside distractions. He missed 2 crucial goals late today that a guy of his calibre should of slotted.

We had 58 entries inside 50, I agree that our delivery has been poor for most of the year but if its being dropped on his head he should at least be making opponents think twice before jumping in front of him. The wrestling game he persists with is NOT working.

Rubbish. He is one of the best - if not the best - in the game at 'the wrestling game he persists with'. But no matter how good he is, if they're kicking it to his opponent's side, it doesn't matter who he is, he can't do anything.

My point is that this bloke is a focal point of our team and he performing like a bloke with outside distractions. He missed 2 crucial goals late today that a guy of his calibre should of slotted.

Lucky everyone else's disposal was so immaculate today then.

He missed two crucial goals. He's a key forward. It happens.

The wrestling game works fine when they actually deliver the ball to his side, (or even in between) rather than the defender's. So much so that he was the best in the league by a mile in contested marking situations last year.
I reckon we actually only kicked it to his advantage in this situation once... and he marked it comfortably

Every other time it was clearly to Dunn's advantage, who could then also use his speed advantage to get away clear and clean

I reckon we actually only kicked it to his advantage in this situation once... and he marked it comfortably

Every other time it was clearly to Dunn's advantage, who could then also use his speed advantage to get away clear and clean

And of course, there's the standard David v Goliath stuff, where because Dunn is so small relatively, he would basically be giving away a free kick every time they were one on one for an insider 50. And maybe one out of six gets called.

I honestly think he does an excellent job keeping his cool. He'd be well within his rights to go Richo on his midfielders on multiple occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think he does an excellent job keeping his cool. He'd be well within his rights to go Richo on his midfielders on multiple occasions.
I said that to my brother as we were leaving, between the players delivery to him being consistently awful and the defenders hanging off him freely every week he does bloody well not to blow up.

I thought he was more than serviceable, those costly misses in the final quarter aside.

The delivery to him in the first half was so diabolical, if I didn't know better, I would have probably thought the Geelong midfielders and Lynden Dunn were playing a game of 'keepings off Hawkins'.
It was pathetic the delivery to him. Every time they actually kicked it to his advantage he marked the footy.

More worried about Kersten who didn't do enough. Mid way through the 3rd quarter I think he had 1-2 touches max. Need more output from him.

I think he needs to sit the lads down during break and explain to them where he wants them to kick it. * structures and instructions whatever. He is the full-forward he decides where ball goes. I remember Dunstall back in the day he would point - the ball would get kicked there and god help any fool who was stupid enough to get between him and ball.

Agree. The silver service needed about 48 litres of Tarn Off today. It was s**t. Rarely if at all to advantage. And that applied to Kersten and Walker too.

Was sitting on Level 3 front row of Hickey Stand on the 50 arc. Good seats. You could clearly see the ball entry and how it either honoured the forward or the defender.

Today the defender was given a handbook on where it was going.

Im not saying for second that it was all the issue of the delivery maids - but the repeated balls to the disadvantage makes it an impossible task.

GO Catters

Perhaps if he tried to jump instead of having a lot of those balls fly over his head, he may just be able to bring it down to ground to the advantage of our smalls.
What is he, 198cm tall or 6ft'6 in the old, add another 75cm to that + arms extended and he wouldn't be having so many issues.

Put Stanley at full forward with the same kind of delivery coming his way and I reckon we'd be locking the ball inside our forward fifty a hell of a lot more each game given Stanley actually attempts to leap at the bloody thing.
FMD, even a fat Tony Lockett in his final years was getting airborne more so than Tomahawk at the minute.

Perhaps if he tried to jump instead of having a lot of those balls fly over his head, he may just be able to bring it down to ground to the advantage of our smalls.
What is he, 198cm tall or 6ft'6 in the old, add another 75cm to that + arms extended and he wouldn't be having so many issues.

Put Stanley at full forward with the same kind of delivery coming his way and I reckon we'd be locking the ball inside our forward fifty a hell of a lot more each game given Stanley actually attempts to leap at the bloody thing.
FMD, even a fat Tony Lockett in his final years was getting airborne more so than Tomahawk at the minute.

Whilst I have posted about the delivery being very ordinary I have to agree a bit with Hawkins judgement on a few occasions being off. He did go under 2 or 3 today. Not sure if it was jumping related or judgement - i certainly didn't think it was jumping at the time.

Go Catters

Whilst I have posted about the delivery being very ordinary I have to agree a bit with Hawkins judgement on a few occasions being off. He did go under 2 or 3 today. Not sure if it was jumping related or judgement - i certainly didn't think it was jumping at the time.

Go Catters

Watching him closely today, what is it?
Is it the back?
Is it lack of confidence?
Is he not working hard enough?

I tend to believe he is past his best and that was largely due to the bulging disc he has to manage for the remainder of his playing days.
I have no idea how it came about or how it impacts his training, but it sounds debilitating to say the least. If he marked it from outside the fifty and the siren sounded, could he even manage the distance these days?

Is it the back?

I tend to believe he is past his best and that was largely due to the bulging disc he has to manage for the remainder of his playing days.
I have no idea how it came about or how it impacts his training, but it sounds debilitating to say the least. If he marked it from outside the fifty and the siren sounded, could he even manage the distance these days?

I think it'd a bit of everything. It never is just one thing. Delivery to advantage not there. He is getting mugged every week and its not getting called. He seemed to be moving laterally ok - or at least like most times I've seen him this season. His judgement on a few occasions might have beed off - which happens when its not working out for you.

I don't think he is past his best at all - but like Sel in the guts - he needs help. Get it too him clean and low. Increase the quality of entries. Get his judgment back.

Suddenly he has a bag again.

GO Catters

when I say past his best, I'm not talking footy wise but more so athletic ability. That natural jump he use to have where he was able to play a bit of time in the ruck, it's non-existent. I mean, when was the last time he took a screamer or even attempted to take a high mark?

So when they are wrestling, which side do they kick it to? You do realise they manoeuvre once the ball has been kicked?

I would say that if he lead, then they kicked it behind him your point would be right. But I don't think that's the case.

They've been kicking it long and into the one-on-one in previous weeks, along with this week, where hawk has wrestled, lost position, and lost the contest. He's being outplayed consistently.

Yes, when on the lead he looks great, and I agree that when leading our kicking to him isn't great. However, the last 4 weeks, Hawkins has been clearly beaten, by continuing with this wrestling crap, then looking to the umpire for a free.

Is it the back?

There is hearsay that the back is going to cut short his career. Whether there's truth to that, who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back