Hawkins makes big impact

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack-Packenham said:
Just caught the back end of an interview on SEN1116. Some guy (maybe the metro coach Dickson ) was saying that Hawkins could go as high as pick 1 or 2 if the cats didn't get him under the father son rule. He also mentioned him and Jonathon Brown in the same sentence. (which is happening all the time)

It is all so exciting but lets not get ahead of ourselves... For all we know he could be another Henry or Spencer.

catempire said:
Partridge, you're quite right - not all early picks will become good players. However, it doesn't change the fact that clubs will be less likely to trade picks in a strong draft. That is fact and is the case this year.

Yeah for sure. Any club now that gives away draft picks for a player from another club has to have very good and specific reasons. One thing I'm glad about is how reluctant Thompson is to give away draft picks after doing it for Justin Murphy years ago.

Kent_Kingsley said:
you're all such a bunch of w@nkers :)

kent runs into a bit of bad form for the first time since 2003 and ur all wanting to get rid of him

Alot of people have wanted him gone for a while

Partridge said:
The next time I hear the term "super draft" I'll vomit. As anyone who looks at draft history knows, not all early draft picks become superstars. Rory Hilton was number 8 overall, Aaron Fiora number 3 (I think). Fact is some high picks make it, some don't. Simon Black was pick 40 or so, so it demonstrates that you still need a slice of luck and you can't know for certain what you'll get. Guarantee there will be duds in this draft, just like all the others.

As for Hunt, well there's a lot I'd drop before him. For example McCarthy, Gardiner, Koula, Kingsley, Slade. If I was being really brutal King and Harley too. If their bodies can't handle it anymore they should be seriously looked at.

You find that the lower picks such as 40 generally can be good/decent players if they are midfields you dont find to many good kp players going low down. IMO you can get good midfielders from any where in the draft but kp players you need good picks for

Jack-Packenham said:
Just caught the back end of an interview on SEN1116. Some guy (maybe the metro coach Dickson ) was saying that Hawkins could go as high as pick 1 or 2 if the cats didn't get him under the father son rule. He also mentioned him and Jonathon Brown in the same sentence. (which is happening all the time)
No pressure, then.

Partridge said:
The next time I hear the term "super draft" I'll vomit. As anyone who looks at draft history knows, not all early draft picks become superstars. Rory Hilton was number 8 overall, Aaron Fiora number 3 (I think). Fact is some high picks make it, some don't. Simon Black was pick 40 or so, so it demonstrates that you still need a slice of luck and you can't know for certain what you'll get. Guarantee there will be duds in this draft, just like all the others.

Coining a class "super", as this has been, has nothing to do with the gamble you take with every pick. What you say is true - logical if anything - but I think you've misinterpreted the phrase.

Drafting is always a lottery in itself; you'll have your fair share of gems and, in the context of the whole draft, failures. Clubs know that; I don't think anyone is working under the assumption that 2006 is a complete bag of goodies.

Scouts generally know early on the overall quality of a draft class; some will be rich with high quality players and deep in overall quality, whilst others may only have couple of junior standouts before the quality drops steeply. This draft class has long been perceived to be high in both quality and depth - as early as the under-16 days. The universal labelling of "superdraft" is more an acknowledgment of the crop before us and (perhaps) the potential higher rate of 'success' in this 'lottery', but it's hardly assuring it's dud-free, as you seem to interpret it to be.

Me thinks Riccardi to retire, Harley also (injury prone,) McArthy, Koula and Lonergan gone too.

Mackie and Gardiner up for trade (though Gardiner is handy me thinks) along with Wojcinski (he dont seem as interested anymore..)

Kingsley you have to remember aint a full forward - he is a flanker at best - he's playing full forward as there aint no one better.

SOunds good though...

HF: S Johnson Playfair G Ablett/Chapman
FF: Stokes Hawkins Kingsley

Man THAT up.

fishman said:
SOunds good though...

HF: S Johnson Playfair G Ablett/Chapman
FF: Stokes Hawkins Kingsley

Man THAT up.

Not to mention Nathan Ablett hopefully.

Apparently Hawkins' coach said the under 18s are playing Sunday week somewhere - does anyone know where and when this is on? I wouldn't mind having a look at Hawkins and seeing what all the fuss is about.

Partridge said:
Not to mention Nathan Ablett hopefully.

Apparently Hawkins' coach said the under 18s are playing Sunday week somewhere - does anyone know where and when this is on? I wouldn't mind having a look at Hawkins and seeing what all the fuss is about.
I think the Under 18 National Championships are being held at Skilled Stadium and Princes Park.

even though everyone is saying hawkins is a genius and he's constantly ripping up the opposition, you have to remember he has only been playing school footy. SCHOOL footy.

big difference between school footy and afl my friends.
im not saying i have no confidence, im just saying dont get your hopes up too high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

burto said:
even though everyone is saying hawkins is a genius and he's constantly ripping up the opposition, you have to remember he has only been playing school footy. SCHOOL footy.

very true, i went to school with one shane watson who went onto play for collingwood in the 90's. the guy would rip up school footy and juniors kicking bags of like 10 goals. but he never achieved greatness even though i think he ended up playing 80 odd games.

darren forssman said:
very true, i went to school with one shane watson who went onto play for collingwood in the 90's. the guy would rip up school footy and juniors kicking bags of like 10 goals. but he never achieved greatness even though i think he ended up playing 80 odd games.

He would not have cut the Oranges as well as you though Daz. You Da man!:thumbsu:

darren forssman said:
you bet hoff, i make them just the right, mouth guard size, so you smile orange.

ive lost respect for you though hoff since you dropped the great mans avatar, and i aint talking hassle the hoff.

Tell me what you want back and i will make it happen!

cocka2 said:
You cant forget Lonergan... If he doesnt get delisted at the end of the year, I will run around the cattery in the raw!!!
Noted for future reference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back