Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent response. The Club wants a “versatile” midfield group. A Group who has a blend of inside and outside and something in between as well as mids who can go back/forward but as much go back to help a defender at times. Today’s game starts and finishes inside the midfield, but you have got to create a midfield capable of all circumstances.
Aka not like the pies group

When you look at that list of players taken with the number 1 pick it doesn’t exactly reassure you that chucking a bunch of eggs into that basket is the best move.

Sure, there’s plenty of great names there, but equally a lot of disappointments. And I don’t mean like “oh they didn’t become a Brownlow/Norm Smith Medalist” kind of disappointing, I mean “Maybe he should play in the reserves for a couple weeks” kind of disappointing.

But maybe those players aren’t disappointing because clubs judged them wrong. Maybe they’ve just been let down by a s**t club in terms of their development. After all by design the worst clubs are going to have the most frequent access to the number 1 pick.

So maybe paying up big time to get pick 1 and Anderson would be worth it for this Hawthorn environment. Perhaps with us he reaches his potential and is winning a Brownlow at 22.

Or do we just accept he’s currently out of reach but keep in semi-frequent contact with him via his management. Just keeping an ear to the ground over the next 2-5 years waiting for his development to stall and his happiness to decline just enough that he asks for a trade away from Gold Coast.
Perhaps it's no coincidence that probably the best #1 pick played for us!

I feel the last paragraph is the way well go. If he goes to the Suns you just gotta hope they don't stunt his progress.
Why does my message with similar sentiment get moved ti the hypothetical thread?
Asking for a hypothetically bewildered fan.

yeah agree.

I think (coz i don't have the data to prove) that 17 year old kids, whether they are drafted ~pick 15 or pick 55, how much difference in ability can there really be? So many variables head of them.

On the flip side, i also think that the top bracket of the draft is far more scientific or certain than it was in the past, all else being equal.

Nailing a top 10 pick should be almost a certainty today, given the resources Clubs invest in the process.

After the first 10 to 15, i reckon you can throw a blanket over the rest and a Club's development program will be the difference.
Agree with most of this.
As for the second last paragraph, the top ten isn't hard to get right due to club resources it due to the micromanagement of the afl and their establishment of the TAC / NAB cup under 18's system. Before tac cup it was a crap shoot, top clubs would wearhouse talent away from view and poorly resourced clubs just didn't or couldn't get onboard with junior scouting, geez we even came up with Greg Madigan at that time. Zones were good if you managed your talent properly still a dependent on the individual clubs so in saying if a club like the saints were crap at senior level they were much the same at development level.
So in say clubs invest heavily or better now to establish who are the top ten players is probably not on the money the AFL do this for them, they all but provide handouts for clubs with a list of top twenty talent with the top ten in bold.
Where some clubs do it better than most is investing time and money into the players 25 and onwards.
So in saying clubs invest in establishing top tens, nah the afl do this for us.
Sorry for the long winded reply to a small point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two seasoned KPD’s got to be on the menu. Scour next two years KPD FA list.
I'll scour the list toDAY, as this exercise is better done by DAY, than at night.

Most people think the Sam as me.

Any clues you can give us?

I've stayed right away from that thread, what happened?

It's become pot shots left right an centre as to why Coniglio won't choose Hawthorn. It's even gone as far as one tool bag saying that he'd choose the Suns over us. The thread has pretty much united every non-Hawthorn poster to join forces. They are all now at a point where they are making up s**t and seeing only what they want to see. It's actually kind of funny :)

Can someone please explain to me why the Coniglio thread has blown up like an atomic bomb this morning? I am starting to think that any Coniglio talk that is in the Hypothetical thread might have to be moved to this one ;)
Had a read this morning- as arrogant as this sounds it's blown up because we're the most successful club of the modern era and the idea of us NOT going to s**t scares others and us landing Cogs is a sign that we'd be dominant for another 5 or so years.
The arguments in there are semantic and are the same wishywashy crap that could be said about any club- imo the best thing to do is to not say anything then if he lands at Hawks just comment smiley emoji's and trophy's until the cows come home.

It's become pot shots left right an centre as to why Coniglio won't choose Hawthorn. It's even gone as far as one tool bag saying that he'd choose the Suns over us. The thread has pretty much united every non-Hawthorn poster to join forces. They are all now at a point where they are making up s**t and seeing only what they want to see. It's actually kind of funny :)
Yeah, and Hawthorn supporters are just showing blind faith to Clarkson if they think they can improve in the next 2-3 years....🤪

Backing in a 4 time premiership coach is the opposite of blind faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back